Curacao Dive Fest 08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reefraff2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if anyone from SB is going to the dive fest in Curacao May24th. If so would anyone be interested in a meet and greet, happy hour, or try to set up a shore dive day for people from SB. Let me know if anyone would be intertested in this, or if anyone would like to plan something for the dates of the dive fest.

Hello Reef Raff
David and I moved to Curacao last year and I was excited to participate in the 2007 Dive Fest. I was more than a little disappointed. The organizers did a great job with happy hours, seminars and the showing of the Shark movie outside at both Lions Dive and the Lodge Kura Hulanda. But... there were no organized dives. On the daily sheets it just stated "morning dives with the dive center of your choice". Knowing there was to be a slide show and photo discussion in Westpunt, I had gone to Ocean Encounters West to offer to be a dive buddy if a single diver came to dive Alice In Wonderland before or after the seminars only to find they were just running their normal dive boat schedule. I personally think that almost every dive shop has "one of the best shore dives on the island". It would be easy to promote shore dives to the house reefs on the same day people are there either for the seminars or for the Happy Hours. So, yes I agree whole heartily that a meet and greet for at the very least, Scuba Board members and a shore dive or two would be an excellent idea. We have a nice space in Westpunt that could be used. Our restaurant, Sol Food is only open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. We would gladly host a get together and accompany anyone who would like to play in our back yard. As the name implies, we are at the western end of the island, but if you are planning on staying at the Lodge, Sunset Waters, Habitat or any place in Banda Bou, you are nearby. There are a few must do dives for your log book that are done from the boat, on this end they include Watamula, Redhio, and Mushroom Forest. But 90% of the dives can be done from shore. You can check out some of the sites at Curaçao Actief it would be fun to have come company on some shore dives.
Would you know how to move this thread to the ABC Island sub forum? You'd get a better response there.
Let me know your plans.
Sunshine
curacaosunshine@gmail.com
Curacao Sunshine - Rental Property on the Island of Curacao

Hi Curacao Sunshine
It looks like we did not get a good response to the meet and greet. I haven't seen any SB members willing to do a get together. I would still be interested in meeting and getting a dive in with you all. I am checking in at Breezes on Saturday,and I have booked my diving with OE. I would be willing and interested to come over on one of the days that they plan to do the car pile/tug. OE does have the mushroom forrest planned for Wed. I can taxie over for the day. Let me know what you think or how I can get in contact with you.

Reefraff (Bill)

Bill, A taxi both ways will probably cost you as much as renting a car. Consider a car and bringing the family (?) along to tour the west end before or after your dive. The bus is cheap but you would need to transfer, although Breezes does have a shuttle to town. It is a couple of bucks and an hour ride as opposed to 40 minutes. I have plans on Tuesday and Thursday in Willemstad and tentative plans as a dive buddy on Wednesday. Which wouldn't make any difference to you joining us. I'll check with him and send you a PM on the plan for Weds. It's a shame that OE can't arrange a shuttle for their divers for at least a day to dive their sister shop out west. The Dive Bus posted a meet and greet for SB members on Sunday afternoon. They are located directly next door to Breezes on the west side. Stop by and say hello to the DB crew, you might find some divers headed west on Wednesday and share the expense. Also, the reef in front of the DB is different from the reef at Breezes, you might check it out as well. See you next week, Sunshine

Hey Bill, I'll meet you at the Dive Bus meet in the pm on the sunday. On their website they have the schedule up for the dive week with prices etc etc.

Sunshine can I join you and yr mystery buddy for Alice wednesday in the pm?

Don

Hi Bill and Don,
I have signed up for the afternoon boat to Watamula with one of the, well not organizers but visiting participants in the Dive Fest. Don, I would think if you are taking a half day off from work, you could be in Westpunt before 2PM. If not, maybe a shore dive at 4:30? Bill, let me know if you get transportation, if not maybe I can come get you on Thursday morning and bring you back after a morning dive when I do my shopping. Scuba Boarders, let me know if you'd like to stop by around noon before the afternoon dive. Andreas came by yesterday and reported excellent visibility. Sunshine
curacaosunshine@gmail.com
864-0005

Hi Don,Sunshine

I will be able to meet you at the dive bus on Sunday. What time will you be attending the meeting. I do know that on Wed, OE is planning a dive at the mushroom forest, so any other day works for me. Sunshine is this a number you can be reach at. 864-0005.

Bill

Yes, Bill. That's the number at the house. I'd be free all day on Monday, possibly Tuesday afternoon to say hello. Let us know how OE is getting you to Mushroom Forest. It would be a very long boat ride. If it's an AM single tank dive, maybe I can get you where the boat docks. Or maybe (?) you are coming to OEWest (?). I shop today in town, maybe Andreas will know and post. sunsh

Hi Reefraff2,

Are you planning to come with us (OE West) to Mushroom Forest on Wednesday next week? The second dive would be Watamula. Departure at Playa Kalki 8:30 am. If you would like to sign up for this trip, please let us know (diveshop@oceanencounterswest.com, phone +5999-8640102).

Kind regards
Andreas
..:: Ocean Encounters West ::..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom