Curacao's best shore dives ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Tjack,

Allmost all the dive sites on curaçao are accessible by shore. Boat diving is not necessary, but preferred by some. The best dives are mostly all located on the west side of the island. Although the east has some good sites too.

The superior producer is an awesome wreck suitable for novice divers as long as the know what they are doing or have good guidance. Ocean Encounters West will not go there by boat.

Bas Harts Diving specializes on private and customized shore dives mainly on the the west side of the island and can provide guided dive to any dive site, the superior producer included (day 'n night)

More info:
Bas@bashartsdiving.com

The superior producer is an awesome wreck suitable for novice divers as long as the know what they are doing or have good guidance. Ocean Encounters West will not go there by boat.
The Superior Producer dive is a deep dive and there is often a current. It is not recommended for novice divers. Recommended for Advanced divers and beyond.

I should have posted that a novice diver (the original posters words) with AOW and 15 dives can do this dive with a proper guide.

As you say its recommended for advance divers and thats the cert the original poster is holding. He just calls himself a novice diver.

They current depends on the time of the year and is not always present. They depth shouldn't be an issue as the poster has its AOW and did his deep dive during this course.

Maybe I should have choosing my words a bit different.

+1 for Jeremi, it's maybe better than Lagun. They're close - on either side of the town of Lagun - so you can easily do both in a morning. Get tanks at Discover Dive at Playa Lagun if you don't bring them with you. It's the building to your left as soon as you turn off the main road - about a block from the beach. The beach shack is just chair rentals/water toys...

IMO Nos Kas is one of the better dives also. Go south (east?), we always ran into 3-4 huge morays, lobsters etc. We liked it so much we went back there later in the week after we'd relocated to town. Since Habitat closed, I've read the Coral Estates gate guard will let still you in. I don't what condition the stairs/dive dock are in but there's divers living in Coral Estates - we met a couple - so I assume it's being maintained. It's about a 50-60' vertical drop to the water from the old Habitat property so there must be some other access. If for some reason you can't get in/dive there, Porto Mari is about 10mins or less to the north - but you have to double back thru St. Willbrordus.

What you can expect to see at Watamula: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ab...ao-dive-site-watamula-one-best-caribbean.html

One other thing I'd mention is that you cover a lot of distance between sites in the West. The main road splits into two near St. Willbrordus, and eventually loops around back thru Westpunt. Most of the dive sites are off the twistier, slower coastal road and often require a further short drive to the water. Most aren't marked well - street signs are less common farther from town. We did pretty well using a dive site map we bought there. Most of the kids know English if you get lost. If you're driving direct to/from Westpunt to town or the airport, take the other road, it's straighter/faster.

This is Watamula from the water. Guess why it's a boat dive...

Attachments

• 290723310_iJE5F-L.jpg
    290723310_iJE5F-L.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 306
Lots of great info.......

I am wondering if the UW topography varies much between sites? Are the walls more vertical as you go south? Spur and groove? canyons?

Is it worth it to drive way down south to dive Tugboat/Director's Bay?

How about Boca Tabla on the east side?

Hi Tjack,

personally I think Director's bay is worth the drive. The roads were very rough to get there, though.

I haven't spoken to anyone who has gone diving at Boca Tabla. There's video on the internet, though, so some dive groups must go there. It would be a very challenging entry, if done from shore. My family and I were standing at the lookout above Boca Tabla, looking into the water, when a shark swam by! We all saw it, so not just 'our imagination'. From the shape, we were guessing it was a nurse shark, about 4-6 feet long.
So if you manage to dive there, please post on how it was.

Director's bay has a very nice wall and the drive to that spot is not that bad. You can do it with a normal car; you don't need a 4-wheel drive to get there. There are two roads leading to this dive spot. You need the one that leads along the Quarantaine building starting from Baya beach. The other road is indeed bad.

Boca Tabla is a dive site on the Northern shore and from all the dive sites along that side one of the worst (on par with Shut) to get out of the water. So I would advise against diving there. It is definitely not worth it to get hurt while diving there. If you want to do a Northern dive site on your own the only one that is doable is Playa Canoa because of a reasonably calm bay where you can enter and exit the water when the waves are not too high. A few weeks ago I saw a Nurse shark there.

Just back from a great weeks diving off Curacao, thanks for all the advice. Here is a quick rundown of the shore dive sites we dove.

-Alice in Wonderland, easy entry off Go West dock with short swim to reef but lots of steps down from parking lot. Dramatic coral formations similar to Watamula, the otherworldly mushroom mounds are around 60' deep. We saw Turtle, and lots of Lettuce-leaf Nudibranchs in the shallows and a nice school of blue Boga on the wall. We only did one dive here and would have liked to done more.

-All West House Reef aka Playa Piscado and Playa Grande, is the harbor for Westpunt's small fishing fleet. Moderate swim out through moorings to patchy sloping wall which bottoms out at 130'. The Neptune statue in 30' of water with sponges growing out of his head is a hoot, it is located directly off the fisherman's pier. We found Barracuda, Octopus and the largest Spinney Lobster I have ever seen. We did 4 dives here as we were staying at All West, our two night dives were great.

-Kleine Knip, an isolated beach cove with security guard feeding feral cats. The long swim out from beach revealed a Spotted Snake Eel which burrows through the sand like something from the movie Dune. Nice sloping wall with twisted coral formations and good visibillity. A Spotted Trunk fish swam right up to my buddies camera, hilarious. We found a broken up sailboat on the right side of the cove in 15' at the end of the dive, bonus. This was our favorite dive site of the trip largely due to the fact we were the only divers around, a real adventure.

-Playa Lagoon, is a developed beach with a dive shop and restaurant. The entry is through coral rubble and some surge, the water near beach was quite murkey. Long but interesting swim out along side of the cove to a steeply sloping wall. The wall here is covered in giant Stove Pipe Sponges in clusters, the reef here struck me as particularly healthy. This would be a great place for a deep dive but we did encounter light current here. Barracuda and Octopus were in the shallows at the end of the dive.

-Porto Mari, long developed beach with restaurant and a friendly dive shop. We were able to drop our gear at the shop and stow it there during the interval. Beach entry with moderate swim out to the first reef. The double reef is shaped like a doughnut, with a sand patch in the center. The outer reef rises like a hill from the sand and beyond that is a big deep wall. Lots of red Algae on the outside but the inside of the doghnut makes for a fun dive with lots of fish activity. The sand patch slopes up to 15' as you go right leading to coral rubble. In the rubble we found schools of Squid and several Sharp-tailed Eels. We did two dives here.

-Tugboat, long drive from Westpunt through Williamstead to Caracas Bay but worth it. Drive past the old fort to an abandoned dive shop to reach this sweet little wreck. Entry is from steps of diveshop out past pylons to the left, the wreck is off the point. The wreck is in 15-20' and full of Glassy Sweepers and Scorpionfish. Huge ships anchor near entry, pylons and then the wreck make for an interesting swim, just past the wreck is a vertical wall running deep. Red Algae on the wall here as well but a multifaceted dive indeed, one of our favorites.

Overall the coral formations are more interesting up north (west) but the walls run steep and deep down south (East)

Great week of diving, the drive and dive option provides a real sense of freedom and adventure.

Curacao was so good last time we are headed back in Nov. this year!

So what are some must do shore dives not listed on the post above???

Dramatic topography? Unusual critters? Lesser known?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom