Dangers to watch out for diving in Monterey area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do two dives in the morning and call it a day because:
a) I got up at 5 am to be there at 7
b) conditions often get worse in the afternoon
c) traffic gets bad later in the afternoon, I hate sitting in traffic after diving
d) I get the chance to rinse my gear and get it hung up to dry before it gets dark
e) 2 dives per day is plenty for me, concerned with NDL's and I don't eat till I'm done diving (stomach gets upset)

I don't eat till I'm done diving (stomach gets upset)

I have the exact same problem!

I'll sometimes do 2 tanks somewhere in Monterey, then go to Glenns and do Metridium and the wall. However, my air consumptions so bad that I could burn through 3 72s in a single dive and barely hit my 40' NDL. I doubt I'd be inclined to do four 90 minute dives in a day.

One thing to watch out for if you are diving near the breakwater wall are the fishing lines. They are hard to see and easy to get entangled into. I got entangled on both my dives last month and my son got a hook stuck in this wetsuit (good thing that he was wearing a 7mm). Both times, I had to get out my knife and cut the lines.

Don't dive breakwater without a sharp knife (and know how to use it!!)

Hmmm that's interesting... then I guess where the classes go is a different part of Breakwater?

Wouldn't they want the students that are getting OW certified to have a safe time?

Not to Hijack the thread or anything...

I think he means don't dive the breakwater wall without a cutting tool. Fishermen are almost always there. Classes take place usually away from the wall.

I do two dives in the morning and call it a day because:
a) I got up at 5 am to be there at 7
b) conditions often get worse in the afternoon
c) traffic gets bad later in the afternoon, I hate sitting in traffic after diving
d) I get the chance to rinse my gear and get it hung up to dry before it gets dark
e) 2 dives per day is plenty for me, concerned with NDL's and I don't eat till I'm done diving (stomach gets upset)

Actually this is what I do, and it's kinda ghetto:

a. Wake up in my car at 6:30AM, eat a sandwich or hard boiled eggs, chew on gum, drive 5 minutes to the dive site, or maybe I've just woken up at the dive site.

b. For some reason I've experienced the opposite, but I haven't had as many dives as you.

c. Traffic gets bad around 3, which is way too early for me to clock out, so I stay until the traffic has died down, around 6PM. This means more dive time.

d. I'm rinsing gear in the middle of the night.

e. I've only dove with tables so far.

f. After I use 2 tanks, driving somewhere to refill those two tanks is just surface interval time. It's better than just sitting on the surface and doing other things. And some rest / eating time.

g. Sometimes I eat underwater. Candy works best. Need to find a way to drink. Pack it in, pack it out! Mmmm... salty.

I think he means don't dive the breakwater wall without a cutting tool. Fishermen are almost always there. Classes take place usually away from the wall.

Now that makes sense.... thanks.

Doh! I should have paid a little more attention. It's in the message that I replied to... I'M A :dork2: :D

g. Sometimes I eat underwater. Candy works best. Need to find a way to drink. Pack it in, pack it out! Mmmm... salty.

Caprisun juice box works well enough. You know how to swallow without holding your breath, right? :)

Yup... It was 4PM and my dive buddy had already left to go home but I still wanted to go dive, so I did. There was no one else around at that time. Why do you guys clock out so soon?

We end early because we start early. The wind usually comes up
in the afternoon.

You need to get a lot more experience before soloing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom