Dangers to watch out for diving in Monterey area?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually this is what I do, and it's kinda ghetto:
e. I've only dove with tables so far.

Diving with tables is NO guarantee of safety from NDLs. They do not take into account how hard you may be working or your physical body type. Yes they are conservative but first and foremost you should listen to your body.

Additionally, I believe (or hope) I am speaking for most people here when I say: Every dive is a deco dive.

f. After I use 2 tanks, driving somewhere to refill those two tanks is just surface interval time. It's better than just sitting on the surface and doing other things. And some rest / eating time.

True, it definitely seems you're on a different agenda than your average diver. I find that most people, myself included, enjoy spending their SI relaxing and chatting. If we do have to drive to get our tanks filled, our SI usually ends up being about 2 hours long.

Everyone dives for their own reasons just make sure you aren't compromising your own safety while having fun.

Fuzzy,

I am happy that you are asking all of these questions now. With a plethora of answers coming from a variety of experienced divers you will understand best practices in diving are crucial if not critical for the safety of you...

Every dive is a deco dive.

While technically the words you stated are true, it can be confusing to some who haven't taken any continuing education on the subject of diving physiology to fully understand this assertion.

If, as an open water recreational diver, you are incurring a decompression obligation (beyond that of the RDP table no decompression limits), you are wrong. Wrong in the sense that you have gone beyond the level of your training. However, if you are diving within the tables, follow a conservative dive profile, account for cold water exertion in your planning (add 10ft to planned depth), stay hydrated, etc., the risk of DCS is probably low. Safety stops add to the level of risk reduction. A review of the basics never hurts, especially for those of us who have been at it for a while.

All of the above advice has been on the money. As an individual who seems intent on going your own way, I recommend getting more experience/training to allow you to do so safely.

Enjoy the diving Monterey has to offer!

RANDOM FUN FACT: The reason the safety stop is generally recommended to be 3 minutes is because that is the time it takes for the blood in the circulatory system to do one complete cycle. That way, the lungs are given a chance to "screen" the entire volume of blood for N2 bubbles.
Ref: Dive Training Magazine

RANDOM FUN FACT: The reason the safety stop is generally recommended to be 3 minutes is because that is the time it takes for the blood in the circulatory system to do one complete cycle. That way, the lungs are given a chance to "screen" the entire volume of blood for N2 bubbles.
Ref: Dive Training Magazine

That is incredibly interesting and makes an incredible amount of sense! I'll make sure to keep that one in mind!

Fuzzybunny, I'll tell you what the biggest danger of diving in Monterey is.

The biggest danger is that, if you keep going down there, you're going to hook up with some folks who have more fun diving than ought to be legal.

The first thing they'll do is show you how useful a good light is.

Then you'll find out how much it costs.

Then they'll convince you that a different kind of BC setup makes diving easier.

Then they'll take you diving and hand you a scooter.

Then they'll take you out and show you what you could see if you had the training and a little helium . . .

And then you'll find out how much THAT costs.

Diving in Monterey is very dangerous.

Monterey cost me a scooter and a recreational triox class and eventually a tech class. Don't go anywhere near the BAUE folks, unless you want to have more fun than you can imagine, and empty your bank account.

The biggest danger is that, if you keep going down there, you're going to hook up with some folks who have more fun diving than ought to be legal.

Then they'll convince you that a different kind of BC setup makes diving easier.

Then they'll take you out and show you what you could see if you had the training and a little helium . . .

Monterey cost me a scooter and a recreational triox class and eventually a tech class. Don't go anywhere near the BAUE folks, unless you want to have more fun than you can imagine, and empty your bank account.

Hey but the first taste was free... wasn't it? :wink:

*($% Why did I sign up for Fundies :p

Rofl!!!:rofl3:

:rofl3::rofl3: That sounds familiar :D!

Hey but the first taste was free... wasn't it? :wink:

Yup indeed it was!

*($% Why did I sign up for Fundies :p

Cause you're gonna luv it :)!!!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom