Death off of Manasquan NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lots of online news stories. This one Deadly dive off N.J. coast has officials investigating two other mishaps involving same boat | NJ.com says found on the bottom, back gas empty, pony full - not deployed. They're stuck on the coincidences of 2 deaths & 1 lady who fainted in 4 years. From what I hear, it's a great boat & crew. 45 degree water is too cold for me tho.

In case the link disappears.

Cleary said the Gypsy Blood was about 15 to 20 miles off Manasquan when Wilson dropped anchor, and divers tied up to a wrecked freighter called the Gulf Trade. The group of six to 10 divers on the Gypsy Blood was making 30-minute dives, which is typical for cold-water "winter" diving, Cleary said.

The water temperature was about 45 degrees, and seas were at 2 to 3 feet and "not really bad," several divers said. The wreck is about 80 feet down.

Cleary, who was about three miles from the Gypsy Blood, said he heard a report of a diver found floating on the surface. Cleary, who said he spoke with Wilson by radio during the rescue attempt and again when they were back on land, collected his divers and went to help.

He said he was told by Wilson that the diver had been found by friends on the ocean floor. The diver’s "regulator," or mouthpiece, was out of his mouth and his main air tank was empty, but his spare or "pony" tank was full and had not been deployed, Cleary said Wilson told him.

A lack of air in the tank doesn’t necessarily mean the diver ran out, said Steve Gatto, a commercial diver. His mouth could have fallen open, and the air would keep running.

Cleary said Wilson told him other divers had found the victim and inflated parts of his gear, sending him to the surface, where crew members pulled him from the water and started CPR.

A crew member aboard the Gypsy Blood called the Coast Guard Station Manasquan around 10 a.m. The Coast Guard sent a lifeboat crew, including two emergency medical technicians who performed CPR, but the diver was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at the station.

On some of the recent accidents post I have noticed that the age of the divers where 50+ is there more risk at that age?

May be it was health issue and not related to the taxi(boat OP), it is hard to believe that the guys in the boat are responsible for guys underwater..

On some of the recent accidents post I have noticed that the age of the divers where 50+ is there more risk at that age?

May be it was health issue and not related to the taxi(boat OP), it is hard to believe that the guys in the boat are responsible for guys underwater..
Sure there is, and DAN Accident reports confirms it. Operators probably cringe when they see me coming.

Of course there is not known evidence linking the boat here. Just hyperbole.

Yip. The latest statistics show that the older you get, the higher the likelihood of death.

I've dived off that boat many times. One of the best and safest operators out here.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread has been cleaned up to remove blamestorming and related follow-up comments. Please review and abide by the special rules for this forum, including those listed below, which formed the basis for the post removals and edits in this instance.
Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.

Yip. The latest statistics show that the older you get, the higher the likelihood of death.

I've dived off that boat many times. One of the best and safest operators out here.

Statistics can be used to deceive, but the above quoted comment seems pretty reliable to me. During the few occasions that I leave the security of my basement I've noticed that the percentage of old people wandering around seems comparatively small. For some reason, and despite abundant evidence to the contrary, lots of people expect to live indefinitely. This is a big mistake. An informal survey of hookers strongly suggests that the number of old men who drop dead while being professionally entertained is disproportionately high. I suspect that this age related disproportion exists in other activities as well.

I've just turned 70, and I fully realize that the odds of my heart attacking me while I am engaged in exciting physical activity is much greater now that it was when I was young. That's fine with me. Better to shuffle off this mortal coil while diving than to have the grim reaper tap me on the shoulder when I am sitting in front of a TV or tapping away on a computer keyboard.

I've just turned 70, and I fully realize that the odds of my heart attacking me while I am engaged in exciting physical activity is much greater now that it was when I was young. That's fine with me. Better to shuffle off this mortal coil while diving than to have the grim reaper tap me on the shoulder when I am sitting in front of a TV or tapping away on a computer keyboard.

Or in a nursing home. Thats why I cave dive :)

Back
Top Bottom