Debating getting a wrist computer, pros and cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an oceanic veo 100, non nitrox compatible, and it's pretty good.
Pro's, its much easier to access than if it were on the back side of my spg
It was cheap

Cons
If you put the wrist computer on first, than try to slip your arm through the bc pocket, 8/10 the computer gets snagged on some part of the arm hole.
Non nitrox integrated (you pay what you get for)
Non air integrated (see above parenthese)

It indeed makes it easier to see depth, NDL limits, ascent rate when compared to a hose style computer.
I also have a compass that I wear on my wrist which is nice, because It makes it easy to see my heading. (i'm one of those people that cannot stand not knowing which way is which)

I'm on the fence about plopping down a bunch of money for a computer with AI and debating whether or not its worth it. I figured printing and laminating a few pocket sized tables from the Navy dive manual and taking those on a dive trip would be far more cost efficient, but having a wrist computer would be far more fun to play with and easier to travel with than taking a console spg. Any thoughts?

I like mine a lot. A computer will give you more bottom time on multi-level dives than tables will because tables assume a square profile, while computers model nitrogen loading based on actual depth. Having A/I means the computer can warn you if you've managed to have a brain-fart and run low on air. I'm actually a little on the fence with this feature, since I think anybody who runs out of air deserves a little scare and should have the skills for a proper OOA ascent. OTOH, I'm also practical and realize that for a lot of infrequent divers, running out of air could easily be fatal. An AI with a low-air alarm could actually be a life-saving feature.

Although some have brought up computer failure, this really isn't really an issue because you're doing recreational no-deco dives. If your computer fails, all you need to do is safely end the dive with your buddy. It's exactly the same thing you would do if your mechanical depth or pressure gauge or watch failed.

flots.

Last edited:
More and more dive ops are requiring a dive computer to get on their boat. At least that is what i am finding in my experience. BTW i have two computers, 1 console and 1 wrist mount

Interesting... So why do they require it, just for liability for folks calculating their RNT? I dont see why I couldn't just calculate that myself.

Just as a note, my Geo, which is not air-integrated, will also calculate my SAC rate. But I do have to manually input my starting and ending pressures, so that's not to say that the non-air-integrated is exactly the same.

Does yours do it for you on the fly? (For mine I obviously have to wait until after the dive, although after keeping track of it for awhile on the type of diving I do I pretty much know what it is going to be anyway -- still fun to see though.)

If it does it on the fly I'm not sure. I just look at it in my downloads.

Which brings up an item I really like about my DC, the downloads and having all that info right there. Dive times, depths, dive profile, ect and I don't have to write it down in between dives.

In a society where we can not go to the bathroom without a Android phone/computer or an IDevice of some type, I do Not understand this prejudice against dive computers. I understand even less the attitude that an AI computer is OK as long as it's not wireless? It is not like the technology is new, I having been diving one without issue for almost 5 years. So here are some myths...

1. The link between a wireless is unstable. BS, I have not had one issue that I am aware of in over 4 years of diving.

2. The batteries fail without warning. BS, you have plenty of advanced warning. Likely when your battery is failing and letting you know you could likely replace them once you got home.

3. Computers flood easily. No, the only time one is in danger of flooding is when changing batteries. I wear mine in the shower for a few days after a battery change. If it steams up inside I did something wrong. You can have a professional change batteries if you like.

A water proof computer can be a very reliable gauge. Your willingness to wear one should be almost automatic given the technology based world we live in, but apparently not! Use what you like, but I really like having every thing on one gauge.

I'm in the school of non-ai computers. This summer alone I have seen 4 incidents of AI wireless computers failing. Not only do you not know your deco/nitrogen loading status, you don't know your remaining air.... Analog pressure guage and non-AI computer ONLY for me. Aeris Manta is a nice inexpensive choice as is the DR Trio.

I'm in the school of non-ai computers. This summer alone I have seen 4 incidents of AI wireless computers failing. Not only do you not know your deco/nitrogen loading status, you don't know your remaining air.... Analog pressure guage and non-AI computer ONLY for me. Aeris Manta is a nice inexpensive choice as is the DR Trio.

BTW, these were top of the line AI (wireless) computers failing during the dive (not battery changes or just lost of signal). So many dive computers are made offshore now I am beginning to worry about quality. I've started diving with two dive computers and an analog pressure guage.

Sorry didn't address the OPs original question. I like a wrist computer (and have a second one in a console). I find I refer to the wrist one more frequently.

I dive a backup, an Aries Atmos II. If one is relying on a computer, a backup is certainly in the cards, or you plan on aborting some dives. This is one reason I enjoy shallow dives. If anything goes south on a 30' dive I just....finish the dive!

4 top of the line AI computers failing.... I wonder if any bottom of the line computers failed? Did they flood? BTW, most dive equipment has been made overseas for some time... my Zeagle Stiletto was one of the last made in the USA models and it is maybe 6 years old.

If your non AI computer fails you have the same issue don't you? Are you saying that the AI computers that they fail more often than non AI computers or just the link fails?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom