Debating getting a wrist computer, pros and cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the school of non-ai computers. This summer alone I have seen 4 incidents of AI wireless computers failing. Not only do you not know your deco/nitrogen loading status, you don't know your remaining air.... Analog pressure guage and non-AI computer ONLY for me. Aeris Manta is a nice inexpensive choice as is the DR Trio.

I dont see the big deal if it fails. If anything goes wrong, abort the dive whether it's an AI computer or not. I think the danger with losing link comes in when people rely on a watch alarm to tell them when they need to come up instead of being proactive and checking their air.

Not only do you not know your deco/nitrogen loading status, you don't know your remaining air.... Analog pressure guage and non-AI computer ONLY for me.

I had an analog gauge that stuck at about 1200 PSI right up until it was removed from the tank and rapped on the anchor, at which point it reset to 0.

Any equipment can fail and computers (AI or non-AI) are no more of a risk on a no deco dive than an SPG or a watch.

If something fails, end the dive according to your training and everything will be just fine.

flots.

If your non AI computer fails you have the same issue don't you? Are you saying that the AI computers that they fail more often than non AI computers or just the link fails?

I am not saying that AI computers fail more than non-AI ; both fail. I am not in the same boat as someone with an AI computer. If you read my post you will see that I dive with two computers. With an analog pressure guage, I'm still diving if one of my computers fails. If you rely on an AI computer only for your air reading, then your dive is over.

I had an analog gauge that stuck at about 1200 PSI right up until it was removed from the tank and rapped on the anchor, at which point it reset to 0.

Any equipment can fail and computers (AI or non-AI) are no more of a risk on a no deco dive than an SPG or a watch.

If something fails, end the dive according to your training and everything will be just fine.

flots.

As I stated I dive two computers. If I were diving only an AI computer, or even an AI computer and a non-AI computer, if the AI computer craps out, then the dive is over. If I have a analog pressure guage and two computers, if one computer dies, then I'm still diving as I have complete info re my nitrogen loading and remaining air. If by your comment you meant to imply that AI computers are as reliable as an analog pressure guage for air managment, then I do disagree with this. I have been diving since the mid 1980's. I've seen a number of computers fail. Never seen an analog guage fail. I'm sure it happens, but I seriously doubt it is at the same frequency. Now I would agree that an option is an AI computer, back-up computer and an analog pressure guage. A friend of mine dives this arrangement. He went this route after his AI computer failed during a dive. He doesn't want to have to abort future dives if his AI computer fails - particularly if this is on an expensive dive trip.

I understand even less the attitude that an AI computer is OK as long as it's not wireless? It is not like the technology is new, I having been diving one without issue for almost 5 years. So here are some myths...

1. The link between a wireless is unstable. BS, I have not had one issue that I am aware of in over 4 years of diving.

Ron, have you made any scooter dives in the last 4 years? I have never had a client with a WAI computer who had signal connection while the Apollo AV-1 scooter they were using was running, and the time to reacquire signal after shutting down scooter has always been significant.

If your non AI computer fails you have the same issue don't you? Are you saying that the AI computers that they fail more often than non AI computers or just the link fails?

If you have an analog SPG and your wrist AI computer goes down, the issues are the same. If you have a console AI you have no SPG when the computer goes down.

:coffee:

Of the four failures I have seen this year, none were following a recent battery change. Three just failed to provide data and would not reconnect. One showed extremely fluctuating pressure readings 1200 - 500 -800. Again these were $800 - $1,200 units. For that money, I'd rather have two non-ai computers and an analog pressure guage.

I am not saying that AI computers fail more than non-AI ; both fail. I am not in the same boat as someone with an AI computer. If you read my post you will see that I dive with two computers. With an analog pressure guage, I'm still diving if one of my computers fails. If you rely on an AI computer only for your air reading, then your dive is over.

Ok your post eluded to the issue being AI computers going down and not non AI computers and I did read your post, my question was not in reference to diving with multiple computers but what types of computers you have seen failures with. The 2nd part was about if you have one computer and it fails then you have to abort your dive, not just your way of doing things with 2 computers.

I fully understand that if me AI computer goes down I will call the dive, go up, and attach my SPG in my save a dive kit and continue diving with AI computer if it's still functioning or my other computer that is with me. Seem pretty simple.

On that note I have not had any failures and most report no failures, I'm not going to worry about a failure and I very much enjoy my AI wrist computer and would recommend them to anyone over a standard computer and hosed SPG. If they were worried about a failure I would say attach a back up SPG (again I have one on the surface).

To each their own.

I just bought myself a Mares Icon AI. It's a wireless wrist computer, which will complement a small backup SPG clipped to a D ring. My thinking is that I want the pressure displayed in the same screen as the depth, time etc, so there's no chance of forgetting to look at the SPG if I get distracted.

Technical divers cannot use a wireless transmitter as the thing can get knocked in an overhead environment and it's too great of a failure point. None of the tech computers use AI. But it's fine for recreational diving and allows for closer monitoring of you air supply. I think because recreational diving is more improvised and impromptu you need more attention to your SPG.

Adam

I have a wrist mount AI Suunto and love it. Lots of details as far as gas management. No serious problems as far as functionality or battery issues. Having said this, I highly recommend a backup spg/depth gauge (even a very small one), a wrist watch, and familiarity with depth tables. You should have at least a basic idea of how deep and how long your dive will/can be. That way, you won't have to end a once-in-a-lifetime dive just because a malicious piece of coral attacked your wriststrap, adding your computer to the treasure chest at the bottom.

I did have one event (topside) where someone was pairing their AI computer as I was passing by and it unlinked MY computer from the sensor. The worst part was having to actually open the manual to find the right menu to pair them again (it's good to have a condensed version of the manual/menus back in the room). The horror, the horror.

- Ric
It only takes a little of safe to beat a lot of dead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom