deep diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure is easy to get some "Because thats the way it is" remarks on here. I was just wondering if deep should be part of ow, or atleast aow.

I just don't see a problem with giving people information with the understanding that they do not have the training or experience to put that information into practice.

They can learn the information, practice obtaining results, and then when they move into the class they are more prepared.

Example: I started diving a HOG configuration as soon as I got out of AOW. Not because it was cool, but because I wanted to move into Tec Wreck diving. I knew that I would need a HOG setup for that kind of diving and would wrather learn about Wreck diving in my class than spend a lot of time learning about how my gear should be configured and how to find what I needed on my rig at any given time.

Well thats kinda my point. Their getting info they cant use anyway.

dmdoss:
Why shouldn't the deep diver cert be included in the ow or atleast aow certs? My question for this is 1. the standard air tables goto 140' 2. diver accident insurance doesnt cover if you dont have the cert, and its a deep dive. Should the tables be made for each cert? like say ow-60' aow'-90'. why give the info on the tables if you're not supposed to use it? Or is there a reason im unaware of?

first, forget deep diver specialty, it's a bull**** course imo. (if you want to go deep take some tech courses)

second, (NAUI) AOW was good down to 130' last I checked. if you want to go deeper you pretty much need to do mandatory deco so you might as well take a tech course.

and for what it's worth, i do think some agencies (at least one) cover mandatory deco in their OW/AOW training and certify you to go down to 165' iirc.

dmdoss:
Well thats kinda my point. Their getting info they cant use anyway.
Yes they can. They can practice with it so when they move into the class that is going to teach them how to apply what they've already learned from practice, they and the instructor can concentrate on the practical instead of theory.

What started me thinking about this was, I met a woman who got her cert. from a lds in town. She was telling me about her dive trip her and her girl friends made, to depths greater that 100'. And they just got their ow, when I asked her if she had her deep cert. she said "nope but i just stay in the tables" so I went on my merry way thinking I'll read about her someday.

dmdoss:
What started me thinking about this was, I met a woman who got her cert. from a lds in town. She was telling me about her dive trip her and her girl friends made, to depths greater that 100'. And they just got their ow, when I asked her if she had her deep cert. she said "nope but i just stay in the tables" so I went on my merry way thinking I'll read about her someday.
Ok, now we're getting somewhere.

You have a valid concern about her "just staying within the tables" routine. However, her instructor should have impressed in strong terms to her that she needs a lot more experience before exceeding the 40ft or 60ft depths recommened. The instructor should have explained in detail why.

On the other hand, since she was just on a trip, I'm gathering that there is a DM involved here. That DM violated a cardinal rule. Always check a diver's cert and never take the diver beyond their training, even if they beg to go.

I wonder how many people said, "I'll never read about him someday" when Bill Gates completed his Master's coursework, but never actually got his degree! :wink:

Just because you aren't certified to go to a depth doesn't mean that something bad will happen to you because you do. I know plenty of rec divers who have been down to 200' and suffered no ill effects. Diving outside of the tables (or outside of your own limits or what your cert says) doesn't guarantee that something bad will happen. (It certainly increases your risks...tempting Murphy is never a good idea...) And at least your female friend is staying within the tables! She's taken what she's learned in OW and applied to to another, slightly more advanced task. Good on her...but she should at the very least get some mentoring and/or dive with a more experienced buddy.

Cheers,
Austin

Well that was my thoughts, Dont know if her inst. did or didn't. Or if he did and she didnt care. Thats why I was wondering how much rope do we give'em.

dmdoss:
Well that was my thoughts, Dont know if her inst. did or didn't. Or if he did and she didnt care. Thats why I was wondering how much rope do we give'em.
The way you phrased the question was more along the lines of "why does the industry allow this?"

What you should be doing is questioning the training she received and the DM who led the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom