deep diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont know her, I was working on her heater and she seen my dive sticker on my van. Thats when she told me about it.

Depth-sensitive BC's for all!! :wink: If you try to go below your certed depth, it inflates and pulls you up 10' before returning to neutral bouyancy!!

We don't give OW certed divers any more rope than we give teenagers with several tons of steel, plastic, and rubber...it's just a shame that most OW certed divers are older and should know better.

Cheers,
Austin

dmdoss:
I dont know her, I was working on her heater and she seen my dive sticker on my van. Thats when she told me about it.
Ok. Well, it's not the industry that is giving people enough rope to hang themselves with. It's the instructor who didn't explain the issues well enough, the DM that exceeded the diver's experience level, and the diver's for not using common sense.

3-Ring Octopus:
Depth-sensitive BC's for all!! :wink: If you try to go below your certed depth, it inflates and pulls you up 10' before returning to neutral bouyancy!

Thats a good one!:D

3-Ring Octopus:
Depth-sensitive BC's for all!! :wink: If you try to go below your certed depth, it inflates and pulls you up 10' before returning to neutral bouyancy!!
Personally, I prefer the bouy approach.

Don't want them going deeper than 40ft? Attach a bouy with 40ft of line. They can swim around anywhere they want, but they aren't going any deeper than 40ft.

yeah but if the basic ow table only showed the info for 60' they would be less likely to go below that. Then the next cert. could have the info for the deeper. I was just thinking safety for new divers.

dmdoss:
yeah but if the basic ow table only showed the info for 60' they would be less likely to go below that. Then the next cert. could have the info for the deeper. I was just thinking safety for new divers.
Understand, but not really practicle or needed if the instructor is doing the job right.

SCUBA diving is not a competetive sport, yeet some people cannot control their natural competetive spirit. This often manifests itself in going deep. How many times have I heard people boasting about this?
Yet depth is extremely dangerous. Just look at the accident reports. Narcosis is worse, air consumption shoots up, you encounter decompression problems and it is a long way to the safety of the surface.
My personal take is that I only go as deep as is necssary to see what I want to see, and as the best sealife is above 25 metres that means that on most recreational bimbles I don't need to go any deeper.
Just now there is a big macho craze about going deep amongst Russian divers and loads of them are ending up dead.

The PADI deep course is excellent. Alongside Nitrox I consider it almost essential. It enables a diver early in their career to progress a little deeper in a controlled and safe way whilst learning about the various problems. If more people did this course then there would be less people having problems at depth. Also, and this is very important, your dive insurance usually only covers you to your certified depth. A British man a couple of years ago bent himself deeper than his certified depth in the Red Sea and his insurance company refused to pay his £50,000 bill. When you get bent the chamber needs your computer to treat you and they have to tell the insurance company what you have done.

dmdoss:
well I guess it wouldnt work anyway if they used a computer.
:yelclap:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom