Deep Diving Risks for Divers 70 Years Old and Older.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The conservative diving recommendations outlined above will reduce your father's risk of DCS, which is may be higher because of his age (see this article). Hypertension is a pretty broad term, and you didn't mention how high it is or whether he's on medication for it. If it's well-controlled and he has no other health problems then hypertension in and of itself probably would not present a problem; however, some of the medications used to treat hypertension can limit the ability of the heart to respond to exercise.

Best regards,
DDM

Last edited:
some of the medications used to treat hypertension can decrease cardiac output and exercise tolerance.
I didn't know that. Could you mention which, or which types?

I didn't know that. Could you mention which, or which types?

Beta blockers can limit the heart rate in response to exercise. Looking back on the post it was poorly worded; I edited it.

Best regards,
DDM

I am 66 years old and still make deco dives, although a max of one per day and max 15 minutes TTS ( time to surface including deco). My dive computor is on a very conservative level and I did not have a single dive related problem. This, of course, does not mean anything :).

What I do not have , contrary to you: No hypertention and the water, I am diving in, is always pretty clear and warm ( above 25° C).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom