Deep Sea Supply Challenge-BP/W Tryout Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raposarose:
I use the same pockets as scubaroo and I also like this set-up a great deal. I use a single tank rig and a thick (2 piece 6.5 mm) wetsuit. The weight is easily ditchable with a bit of practice and is more comfortable to me than a weight belt.

As for the Tobin plate, I haven't used it yet but if I get in the market for one (and I may be soon if I upgrade my wife's plate) it seems like a pretty good option. A bit more pricey (probably the main obstacle) than some of the others but it seems to have a lot of attention paid to the details.

You can also add a weight pocket to both cam bands (slide them towards the wing). I ended up reversing one of my cam bands so that I have one weight pocket on either side of tthe tank

StSomewhere:
In my experience it can, for a single tank rig and a thick wetsuit. Not ideal, mind you.

I dive with a single tank and up until I got the drysuit three weeks back, in a thick wetsuit. I dove a 7mm full suit with 5 mm hooded vest. I put most of my weight in the halcyon pouches and a third in the weight pouches Scubaroo talked about on the "cam" straps (see I can learn :05: ) No need for weight belts - cuz I hate'em!

Are you kidding me? You didn't feel that achieving horizontal trim was a no brainer? How about the freedom of movement, you almost don't know its there. The BP/W setup almost forces you to have perfect trim...........

Just checkout this video, explains it all, haha.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=112555

Don Janni:
what I liked:
No frills no fluff - never missed having a pocket or anything else for that matter
What I didn’t like:
No pockets

mmh, I don't quite understand that?
d-s-f

Simple really......... I didn't miss them but I wished I had them.

deepseafalcon:
mmh, I don't quite understand that?
d-s-f

ShakaZulu:
Are you kidding me? You didn't feel that achieving horizontal trim was a no brainer? How about the freedom of movement, you almost don't know its there. The BP/W setup almost forces you to have perfect trim...........

Just checkout this video, explains it all, haha.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=112555

I love achieving horizontal trim...but not forcefully. :11:
I gotta agree, It does make staying neutral much easier. :10:

divegeek:
You can also add a weight pocket to both cam bands (slide them towards the wing). I ended up reversing one of my cam bands so that I have one weight pocket on either side of tthe tank

Exactly the same thing I did (reversing the cam strap)!

Thanks for the information. I have been giving some serious thought to getting one of Tobin's set ups, and this sort of information helps me.

I am concerned that I will be unhappy without pockets, so I am glad to hear so many alternatives from people.

I think that it is fabulous that we have suppliers that will go so far to help people out!

BTW, how much weight did you end up with on the weight belt? Just curious.

Wristshot

xs 4 pocket belt
1-2# and 3-3# = 11
plate = 5#
16# total

Pockets: 1st choice was a pocket by Zeagle designed for the Zena BC. For my needs the size was perfect and it was neat and unobtrusive. The only negative was it was designed for a cummerbund so threading a 2" strap through it would leave room for some movement although I didn't think that would be an issue.

2nd choice was a pocket by OMS which was designed to fit a 2" strap. It was a bit smaller inside but outside it looked a lot larger and then it that the OMS logo on the front. Nothing against OMS I just didn't like the logo on it.

I had a dive-rite pocket and a larger Zeagle pocket. Both those were way too big for my needs.

If you're going for a BP/W it would be just about impossible to go wrong with a DSS.

LOL, Don

Wristshot:
Thanks for the information. I have been giving some serious thought to getting one of Tobin's set ups, and this sort of information helps me.

I am concerned that I will be unhappy without pockets, so I am glad to hear so many alternatives from people.

I think that it is fabulous that we have suppliers that will go so far to help people out!

Wristshot

Wristshot:

Wristshot

I dropped 5 lbs initially, then when I got used to the better trim, I dropped another 3 off my belt. VERY cool!!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom