Deep Sea Supply Challenge-BP/W Tryout Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I currently use 19 lbs in cold freshwater with a 7mm suit and an AL80. 5 lbs from the plate, 6 lbs (2 x 3lbs) in the harness pockets, and 8 lbs on a weight belt. Looking to drop 5 or 6 lbs off the belt by switching to a smaller sized steel tank like an LP85 or E7-100. I'm getting one of Tobin's weight plates to help compensate for the extra buoyancy of the AL80 tanks when I have to use those (vs. steel), I'll report back once I've had a chance to test it underwater.

Wristshot:
BTW, how much weight did you end up with on the weight belt? Just curious. Wristshot
I use a weight belt with the DSS BP/W. Initally I was able to drop the 4 pounds the BP added, and have since dropped about 3-4 more. Since I dive so shallow, I was reluctant to drop too much. However on quite a few dives, I was able to give away 2 lbs. to a guest buddy who was a bit light.

I dove 18 pounds with my 6 mil before my DSS SS backplate, and after switching and more practice I am at 8 pounds on my belt now. It may be possible to go with 6, but my last 2 dozen dives or so have ended with me still having 1000-1500 psi, so I haven't really tested the 6 yet.

I'm courious... in your diving are you going up and down a line or do you have to hang free during a safety stop?

radinator:
I dove 18 pounds with my 6 mil before my DSS SS backplate, and after switching and more practice I am at 8 pounds on my belt now. It may be possible to go with 6, but my last 2 dozen dives or so have ended with me still having 1000-1500 psi, so I haven't really tested the 6 yet.

In my opinion, one of the great features of the DSS rigs are the innovative weight plates. Just curious why you wouldn't have used them, with their much better weight distribution characteristics, instead of a weight belt. I know some people feel strongly about having ditchable weight but properly weighted that need not be necessary.

Henryville:
. . . innovative weight plates. . . . . Just curious why you wouldn't have used them, . . ..
I am just guessing here, but since he was using a plate "on loan for evaluation" I would suspect that he had to use what he was given.

Maybe a better question would be if he plans to buy some of the weight plates.

Then again it is none of my business.

Personally, I want a Kydex plate for travel with no weights and a stainless plate with some weights for local (Monterey Bay) diving. But that's just me, and nobody asked.

Wristshot

As I said in my report I didn't keep the DSS but if I were going to, I would try add-on plates. I subscribe to the theory that getting more of the weight up and over the lungs is a good idea.

The Kydex plate and travel: It weighs 1.6 lbs. The medium SS plate weights 5 lbs. How are you ever going to notice 3.4 lbs.

Wristshot:
I am just guessing here, but since he was using a plate "on loan for evaluation" I would suspect that he had to use what he was given.

Maybe a better question would be if he plans to buy some of the weight plates.

Then again it is none of my business.

Personally, I want a Kydex plate for travel with no weights and a stainless plate with some weights for local (Monterey Bay) diving. But that's just me, and nobody asked.

Wristshot

I was reading the DSS site and they say that they don't need a STA with their setup. How well does it work without one? Any issues with the tank moving around.

I am still torn between going plate or with a ranger. The DSS looks pretty nice, great harness.

Newer backplates are all cut with slots to thread tank bands through to eliminate a separate STA. If you fit it correctly, you should have a more solid setup since you don't have the potential flex or loosening of a STA.
I use a separate STA since it's a little faster and easier for me to rig harnesses and switch tank sizes since I use 8", 7.25", and 7' tanks. My wife only uses her HP100's, but I still have a STA on her harness.
The DSS stuff is well-made with lots of fans out there; people love their Rangers also, so you can't really go wrong here in your selection.

Don Janni:
<snip>The Kydex plate and travel: It weighs 1.6 lbs. The medium SS plate weights 5 lbs. How are you ever going to notice 3.4 lbs.
It's pretty easy to notice every little pound with the current 50 lbs per bag limit (domestic)....can't say how many times (lots and lots) I've ended up swearing as I weighed in at 51 lbs!

All the best, James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom