Deer Island Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firediver:
I have only done the point and the drift dive. I haven't done the customs house yet. Where around the ferry landing can you dive?? On the opposite side the ferry comes in???

Customs House/Cancat Beach is best done at low tide. Look for the old weir poles and head left toward the rock outcropping. When you go down, you will hit a wall. You can follow that wall down as far as you dare, remembering the tide will turn eventually...

It has a longer window than the Point -> at low tide. I have done the Point for low slack, then hopped into a vehicle and drove the 500 meters or so to Cancat and done another dive at Cancat Beach immediately after without the current being much of a factor (just stick to the wall).

As always, best done with someone who knows the area the first couple of times. Compass bearings are (roughly) 270 out, 60 back.

Have fun, dive safely!

I have done 7 dives at customs now.. I like it.. but still preferr the point.. :) Thanks Chris.. What's around the other direction at customs?? Instead of going in heading towards the point.. to the right.. what;s out to the left... heading away from the point?? -Marj

Fantastic dive site with easy parking after coming off the Campobello/Deer Island Ferry and easy entry in to the water. Started dive about a half-hour or so prior to low tide and current was negligible. Only dove for 45 minutes or so as I had promised my wife I'd be out by that time but could have easily extended the dive quite a bit longer. Seems you can get two fairly long dives in at this site. Water was 46f and visibility was 20 feet or more.

Found the most uncooperative lemon yellow sea raven that was just refusing to get its photo taken. Managed to get a few shots of it in the end and have my fingers crossed they will come out good.

I'm back home in Connecticut for the next five days but will head back to the summer house in Lubec, Maine on the weekend for a three week stay. Should get plenty more dives in at the Customs House and at the Point.

Are there any other shore dives on Deer Island or Campobello that someone can recommend? I do most of my diving while up that way off Eastport, Maine and would enjoy some more variety.

DSDO

Alan

adshepard:
Fantastic dive site with easy parking after coming off the Campobello/Deer Island Ferry and easy entry in to the water. Started dive about a half-hour or so prior to low tide and current was negligible. Only dove for 45 minutes or so as I had promised my wife I'd be out by that time but could have easily extended the dive quite a bit longer. Seems you can get two fairly long dives in at this site. Water was 46f and visibility was 20 feet or more.

Found the most uncooperative lemon yellow sea raven that was just refusing to get its photo taken. Managed to get a few shots of it in the end and have my fingers crossed they will come out good.

I'm back home in Connecticut for the next five days but will head back to the summer house in Lubec, Maine on the weekend for a three week stay. Should get plenty more dives in at the Customs House and at the Point.

Are there any other shore dives on Deer Island or Campobello that someone can recommend? I do most of my diving while up that way off Eastport, Maine and would enjoy some more variety.

DSDO

Alan

Hi Alan:

Saw the same raven fish this past weekend in about 35' of water. My dive buddy managed to get 3 or 4 really good shots of it, as well as some shots of two wolffish in one hole and a skate that he found while we were doing a safety stop at 20 feet.

Regards,
Chris

Firediver:
I have done 7 dives at customs now.. I like it.. but still preferr the point.. :) Thanks Chris.. What's around the other direction at customs?? Instead of going in heading towards the point.. to the right.. what;s out to the left... heading away from the point?? -Marj

Hi Marj:

There is a nice "drift" dive from the Point to Customs if you get the tides right, never been off to the left. Went out more or less straight this past weekend, not sticking to the wall, and got some nice diving in, although the wall holds more life.

Regards,
Chris

cklondon:
Hi Alan:

Saw the same raven fish this past weekend in about 35' of water. My dive buddy managed to get 3 or 4 really good shots of it, as well as some shots of two wolffish in one hole and a skate that he found while we were doing a safety stop at 20 feet.

Regards,
Chris

Didn't find any wolffish but that is on the agenda for the next dive. At what depth did you find the wolffish?

Here is the sea raven.

DSDO

Alan

cklondon:
Customs House/Cancat Beach is best done at low tide. Look for the old weir poles and head left toward the rock outcropping. When you go down, you will hit a wall. You can follow that wall down as far as you dare, remembering the tide will turn eventually...

It has a longer window than the Point -> at low tide. I have done the Point for low slack, then hopped into a vehicle and drove the 500 meters or so to Cancat and done another dive at Cancat Beach immediately after without the current being much of a factor (just stick to the wall).

As always, best done with someone who knows the area the first couple of times. Compass bearings are (roughly) 270 out, 60 back.

Have fun, dive safely!

Oops, just noticed my boo boo... 240 out, 60 back... guess I can't count to 360... ;-)

adshepard:

DSDO

Alan

Here is a shot of the lemon yellow sculpin at Cancat beach/Customs House. This was taken by my dive buddy on Sunday afternoon. We had a great dive, with wolf fish, yellow sculpin, and a skate.

www.chrislondon.com/images/yellow_sculpin.jpg

The direct link doesn't seem to work, but if you copy and paste it into your browser, it does.

adshepard:
Didn't find any wolffish but that is on the agenda for the next dive. At what depth did you find the wolffish?

Here is the sea raven.

DSDO

Alan

I listed him as a sculpin in the image link above, but he was in fact a raven fish. Probably the same guy.

The wolf fish were at about 45 - 50 feet if I remember correctly. They weren't interested in coming out of the hole for us, but I heard from some others they were feeding off fresh urchins when another group found them later.

Here is a link to a photo of them:

www.chrislondon.com/cdnguardian/images/wolffish.jpg

adshepard:

Here is the sea raven.

DSDO

Alan

I listed him as a sculpin in the image link above, but he was in fact a raven fish. Probably the same guy.

The wolf fish were at about 45 - 50 feet if I remember correctly. They weren't interested in coming out of the hole for us, but I heard from some others they were feeding off fresh urchins when another group found them later.

Here is a link to a photo of them:
www.chrislondon.com/images/wolffish.jpg

Also, a skate from the same dive:
www.chrislondon.com/images/skate.jpg

Again, it seems something is wrong with the link, but if you copy and paste it into your browser, it works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom