Deer Island Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you heard of anyone going to the left at customs instead of over to the wall??? It is a much better dive around the wall, but I like to explore a little too... Nice pics btw. When do you do the drift from the point to customs? is it the same as the drift from the Lower beach to the light house?

Hi there everyone,

I never thought that one day I'd be excited about swimming in the Bay of Funday. :) I grew up in NB and spent a lot of time visiting my family in Back Bay and Leteete (spelling) every summer.

Since that time I've become certified but have yet to dive back home.

Well, I'm going to be visiting from Toronto on Wed Sept 8, and I am looking for a dive buddy/guide that would like to go out that morning for a dive. Please let me know if you are interested or if you know someone who might be interested...

Thanks

Firediver:
Have you heard of anyone going to the left at customs instead of over to the wall??? It is a much better dive around the wall, but I like to explore a little too... Nice pics btw. When do you do the drift from the point to customs? is it the same as the drift from the Lower beach to the light house?

Hey Marj, got prob 50+ Dives in on the point. Even dove with ol Chris London there a few times. When I do the drift there, I usually go in at the point 15 minutes after slack or so, sometimes 20, just kinda watch the water and judge it. Usually for me its a 35 min-drift, maybe a bit more, and then usually finish off the dive on the wall at Customs House (Cancat Beach). I've never done it, but I've met a few people who have drifted all the way around from the ferry to Cancat...they drifted over to the lighthouse, got out and switched bottles and then back in. Long dive though, ... I'd think well over an hour, but I've never drifted from the Ferry to the lighthouse.

If you think the point is nice, go out to Black Rock or some of those places if you ever get access to a boat. Even more amazing.
... hope you had a good trip on the Bell Island wrecks too!

Chris

cklondon:
I listed him as a sculpin in the image link above, but he was in fact a raven fish. Probably the same guy.

The wolf fish were at about 45 - 50 feet if I remember correctly. They weren't interested in coming out of the hole for us, but I heard from some others they were feeding off fresh urchins when another group found them later.

Here is a link to a photo of them:

www.chrislondon.com/cdnguardian/images/wolffish.jpg

Chris -

Thanks for the info on the wolffish. Found the pair at about 45 feet. Fed one of them a bunch of urchins!

DSDO

Alan

Hey, I think I take offence to being called 'ol' Chris London! ;-)

SSRosecastle:
Hey Marj, got prob 50+ Dives in on the point. Even dove with ol Chris London there a few times. When I do the drift there, I usually go in at the point 15 minutes after slack or so, sometimes 20, just kinda watch the water and judge it. Usually for me its a 35 min-drift, maybe a bit more, and then usually finish off the dive on the wall at Customs House (Cancat Beach). I've never done it, but I've met a few people who have drifted all the way around from the ferry to Cancat...they drifted over to the lighthouse, got out and switched bottles and then back in. Long dive though, ... I'd think well over an hour, but I've never drifted from the Ferry to the lighthouse.

If you think the point is nice, go out to Black Rock or some of those places if you ever get access to a boat. Even more amazing.
... hope you had a good trip on the Bell Island wrecks too!

Chris

We had a great dive at the point on Saturday evening (about 6:00 PM high tode). There were about 10 divers there in all and lots of life was seen. My buddy and I saw 2 wolf-fish straight down from the point, then we ran into another group who had seen some dogfish off to the left, so off we went in search of them.

Believe it or not, with all the dives I have done at the point, I had never been to the left of the entry point (on purpose... :) and found it quite interesting. There were lots of new walls to explore, some types of coral I had never seen at the point before, and we even found another wolf-fish in a crevasse that had part of its face missing in what appeared to be a very recent battle. He must have been courting someone else's girlfriend... I doubt he will survive, since he was missing an eye in the wound. Such is nature's way!

Current picks up quicker near the lighthouse, and soon we noticed it starting to rip. Realizing we had spent a little longer than normal searching for the dogfish (which we never found) and there was too much current to try and come out at the entry point, we shot for the beach and got out there after a bit of a swim. No danger, but lots of exercise! Sure makes you appreciate the power of the Bay when you have to swim in that current.

The overnight camping trip Saturday night (Aug 7) was a lot of fun too. Campfire, marshmallows, smores, the works! An unexpected treat was a fireworks show from the US side of the water that we watched from Cancat Beach. I took lots of fireworks shots and a few neat pictures of the campfire while I was there. I wanted to get some star trails, but the clouds ruined that. Anyway, 'nuff said, good times, good diving!

Back
Top Bottom