Destin Jetties/Sailboat, Morrison, St Andrews Jetties and Cypress 5-12&13 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Jviehe is onsite with a class, as always. "

I havnt been to Morrison in months! I did do my part in silting it up for ya though. Ah well. As I said, Im done with Morrison for a while. Its become to crowded. Ill dive it more in winter. Why dont you come offshore with us saturday? Or to PC jetties on sunday.

I'm at PCB Jetties on Sunday, thread in the Trips Subforum.

Offshore costs money and I'm about to spend alot of that already(cavern/cave classes and all the gear that goes with it).

SuPrBuGmAn:
I'm at PCB Jetties on Sunday, thread in the Trips Subforum.

Offshore costs money and I'm about to spend alot of that already(cavern/cave classes and all the gear that goes with it).
Ill see you there then.

We probably roared past you in the boat Sunday heading out in the gulf... Cold as crap out there at depth, huh?? :) Still need a wetsuit after the thermocline... I was so cold!

One of my guys and his wife were waiting at the dive locker until after 8am trying to get tanks for our boat trip that same day. They still weren't open after 8am and ending up going to PCDC. The employee that was there waiting to be let in said to my buddy "Sometimes Tony just doesn't show up on Sundays."

Hmm... Nice business practice. Now I remember why I stopped shoping at his place 3 years ago. Thanks for the reminder Tony!! Happy to do business with PCDC and Divers Den... They are there by 6am on the weekends... I literally have nothing but bad things to say about his place so I guess I'll go ahead and close my mouth now...

Anyway, glad you had a great dive, Mat. I may join you guys for your St. Andrew dive on Sunday. Not sure if we are taking the boat out or not...

Yeah, I had a halfmil on, just to give me a little protection while crawling over the rocks, didn't figure I'd need protection against the cold assuming water temps similar to Destin Jetties(mid-70sF). Wrong! :p Still better than a couple weeks ago when I was diving sans suit completely in the mid-60sF.

Biggen:
We probably roared past you in the boat Sunday heading out in the gulf... Cold as crap out there at depth, huh?? :) Still need a wetsuit after the thermocline... I was so cold!

One of my guys and his wife were waiting at the dive locker until after 8am trying to get tanks for our boat trip that same day. They still weren't open after 8am and ending up going to PCDC. The employee that was there waiting to be let in said to my buddy "Sometimes Tony just doesn't show up on Sundays."

Hmm... Nice business practice. Now I remember why I stopped shoping at his place 3 years ago. Thanks for the reminder Tony!! Happy to do business with PCDC and Divers Den... They are there by 6am on the weekends... I literally have nothing but bad things to say about his place so I guess I'll go ahead and close my mouth now...

Anyway, glad you had a great dive, Mat. I may join you guys for your St. Andrew dive on Sunday. Not sure if we are taking the boat out or not...

Well, I quit dealing with PCDC a number of years ago when I went to the shop and there were nothing but a couple of teenagers running the place with their buddies hanging around. They couldn't find their oxygen checker. They were too busy playing grabass. That happened several times. At the time they seemed more interested in selling ski clothing than anything else. I got tired of fooling with them.

Tony was at Divers Den then. Debbie took over the shop. Tony and the boys opened Dive Locker. I understand Debbie has moved on. I haven't been back to Divers Den in a while. As for Tony's business practices, I put up with them. He gives me great deals on everything. I can't beat the prices. I gave up diving with the boats running out of his shop, and the BS they put out. But he's running trips with Splash, and I understand that is going well, and he's getting that new boat in a few weeks.

As for waiting for tanks to be filled the morning of a dive, not a problem. I try to never let myself get into that position. I have several spare tanks that are kept full.

Zieg:
As for waiting for tanks to be filled the morning of a dive, not a problem. I try to never let myself get into that position. I have several spare tanks that are kept full.

Not always an option, we had 8 tanks with us and dove through the majority of them. Had enough to get by, but was simply hoping to get the fills needed pre-dive rather than stopping by on the way out and on our way to the next dives. Its possible we wouldn't have had enough tanks had we done all the diving originally planned on Saturday.

You can only carry so many tanks.

I read your earlier post about your plans for the weekend. Personally, because I hate waiting for tanks to get filled, I tend to make sure I have enough tanks for the weekend. That way I will not have to rely on a shop for air, unless something comes up. As for only being able to carry so many tanks, that's what pickups are for.

I'm with you as far as getting tanks filled the day before. But my buddy doesn't have the forethought like I do sometimes... :) Hence, we left the dock late...

Debbie still runs Diver's Den here, but is going through a divorce so I don't know what is going to happen with that.

I don't think Dive Locker is using Splash unless something drastically changed. The people at Divers Den don't seem to get along with the people at Dive Locker, especially with the capt at Dive Locker. Splash is Divers Den boat. Dive locker uses Down Time and one other boat they just hired on. They are in the process of getting a new ~45'. Not sure when it is coming in but very soon.

I will agree that PCDC's business practice of running a ski outfitter and a dive shop together seems strange. But as far as instructors go, there isn't a better dive shop in the city that is even on the same level as these guys. Gomez taught me (and my dad 30 years ago) so he knows his stuff. He got rid of all those kids a couple years ago and now his stores (yes, he has two of them and one has an indoor saline pool used for teaching) are run by people more "in the know" than they once were...

Everyone has their good things and bad things to say about dive shops. While I don't have praise for all the shops I do business with, it seems that Diver's Den and PCDC both consistently put out good customer relations time and time again. I just can't say the same thing about Dive Locker.

My $.02 anyway...

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom