"Different" Women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divemistress once bubbled...
also you had the type of woman that how do i say [wished she was a man]

who has never, not even for one moment, suffered from penis envy :)

Oh, I sure have... well maybe not penis envy but most definitely P-Valve envy! Oh that note, anybody know where to find womens texas catheters?

Kimber

What is a texas catheter?

By the way, I'm totally with you on the P valve thing. If I could have a detatchable penis to use with a drysuit life would be perfect.

TekDiveGirl once bubbled...

Oh, I sure have... well maybe not penis envy but most definitely P-Valve envy! Oh that note, anybody know where to find womens texas catheters?

Kimber

raviepoo once bubbled...
What is a texas catheter?

By the way, I'm totally with you on the P valve thing. If I could have a detatchable penis to use with a drysuit life would be perfect.

A Texas cath is an external catheter. As I was told a woman must "shave the cat" to use it because it is a stick on device. I know that they are out there, but I just haven't been lucky enough to locate any. And to be perfectly honest, I *hate* having to "depend on depends"

Kimber

raviepoo once bubbled...
The average woman would piss herself jumping out of an airplane with a parachute on her back.

Actually, I would piss my self if I did not have a parachute on my back while jumping out of an airplane :)

It still is a man's world.... but not for long.

I don't agree with the statement that women are generally afraid of creepy crawlies - ever see a man change a diaper???? They are just as squeemish and I know some afraid of spiders too! Come on ladies, we gonna let the guys try to dish out that crap about us being afraid? Let's see them go through pregnancy, talk about scary.... We never give ourselves enough credit and the guys certainly won't. Fear isn't a bad thing either, we may show our fear outwardly but we usually come through it. Men tend to be a little more prone to being macho and throw caution to the wind... Women don't "play that".

I think women are sick of seeing the guys have all the fun... I dive because it is fun and I love the water and wildlife, I also play pool, softball, golf and even watch football because I enjoy those things that are usually male dominated - Some might hear that and think I was a tomboy - but I am all woman baby... . I think society is changing. Women are no longer afraid to change their own tires, no longer dependent on men to do things for them, no longer just barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. At least in the US. I know there are women still out there that can't function if a guy isn't there to help them out, but I'll be damned if I am one of them. Maybe that does make me different but I know there are a lot of women who are like me. We no longer want to be like the women of the past, suffocated in a male dominated world. My grandmother never had the freedoms that I have and I plan on living life to it's fullest.

Strong and independant, but passionate and lovely too. I think we all possess those qualities, some accept the mold that society deals us, I am breaking it...:box:

repeat after shellbird: "we never give ourselves enough credit. we never give ourselves enough credit. we never give ourselves...."

and we don't give it to our sisters, either.

throughout this thread we've been pretty hard on the "average woman". but does the average woman still exist? i don't know her. she sounds like barbie, not like any of my girlfriends. hasn't a changing society forced her to evolve the past 30 or 40 years?

no matter how pretty-pretty a woman may look and act on the outside, if she's delivered a baby, she's tough. if she's raised a child, a family, or cared for a sick or elderly relative, she's tough. likewise, if she's done any of those while working outside the home. or if she's lived by herself throughout adulthood. and if she's lived with a man, she's been through fire. :) (guys, it's a cheap joke, that's all, i swear. i just couldn't resist...)

i think being interested in clothes, makeup and nail polish, as opposed to scuba and skydiving, reflects more on a woman's choice of hobbies than on her nature or character. besides, none of those things necessarily conflict with diving. i can throw a dinner party for 12, crochet an afghan and replace a broken faucet. and i keep my toes painted the whole while. :) (but it's hell keeping them painted on a dive boat.)

bottom line? we women are ALL cool, whether we're divers are not. (except those of us who pop our chewing gum.)

divemistress

shellbird once bubbled...
....I don't agree with the statement that women are generally afraid of creepy crawlies - ever see a man change a diaper???? They are just as squeemish and I know some afraid of spiders too!....

Let's see them go through pregnancy, talk about scary.... We never give ourselves enough credit ....
box:

divemistress once bubbled...
repeat after shellbird: "we never give ourselves enough credit. we never give ourselves enough credit. we never give ourselves...."

and we don't give it to our sisters, either.

bottom line? we women are ALL cool, whether we're divers are not. (except those of us who pop our chewing gum.)

divemistress

AMEN!!!! Sing it sistah!

All the women I know are awesome, whether they dive or not.

In my opinion, women cannot be summed up. We are each unique individuals. I agree totally with the sentiments of Shellbird... (I knew there was a reason we became fast friends!)

As a the only female mechanical engineering student in my whole undergraduate class, I felt the peer pressure to avoid or hide some of the things I truly like such as dresses, lipstick, cooking, etc. It seemed like my classmates would think I was less of an engineer. Now that I'm so much older, I feel comfortable embracing all things that interest me. Makeup, clothes, pottery, design, diving, business, hiking, biking, traveling... the list goes on.

Pedicures are a pure joy but every man I know wouldn't get caught dead doing it. I believe that men deprive themselves in many ways. Their problem.

Georgia O'Keefe was one of the first successful female painters but she made the mistake saying that she was above and beyond other women in a general sense. Lot's of successful women make this mistake. It's too egotistical to be realistic. Everyone women has uniquely wonderful qualities, some are famously noticeable some are more subtle. The trick is for each individual to be able to tap into their true interests and talents, especially difficult when they are not dictated by society or have no opportunity through culture.

I think peer pressure is a very powerful thing. While some of us break through the contrived expectations of our abilities, let's be gentle on others who just may need the social support before they venture out into non-traditional activities.

By the way, I have to admit, changing diapers is something I avoid big time... ick.

"women who want to be men?"

That is the kind of terminology that people usually use about women who "don't know their place". I think it's also like the George Carlin driving defintion - an "idiot" is someone who drives slower than you do, a "maniac" is someone who drives faster than you do.

Maybe "women who want to be men" are women who wear less makeup, or date less guys, or have less children, or have shorter hair, or don't garnish (or maybe don't even COOK!), etc.

In terms of grooming, roles, etc. I have noticed a HUGE difference depending on region, social class, etc.

Where I came from (quasi-rural, very northern) short hair was commonplace among women and only "dykey" women drove pickups. Here in Texas "dykey" women have short hair and tons of "girly-girls" drive pickups.

I happen to have been raised by a parents who dove, and skiied, and flew, and sailed, and traveled, etc.

I was also raised to stick up for myself, to question anybody's right to pigeonhole me because of my gender, my looks, my background, anything.
more adventurous: probably
education: bachelor's
background: upper middle/lower upper
other "risky" activities: caving (including vertical), is sailing risky?, driving at rush hour, speaking my mind
"Texas Catheter"

I am betting you might be able to rig something using a Freshette and some spirit gum - but I don't know if the spirit gum might be a little too harsh. And yes, you would probably have to shave to get a good seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom