"Different" Women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kscanlon once bubbled...

"Texas Catheter"

I am betting you might be able to rig something using a Freshette and some spirit gum - but I don't know if the spirit gum might be a little too harsh. And yes, you would probably have to shave to get a good seal.

Hrmmmm.... what exactly is a "Freshette?"

Kimber who *still* suffers from P-Valve envy!

haven't figured out where they go yet, but I do have a fundraising calendar project that features some pix of me ( Ladies: So sorry I had to ta...at read these threads. I hope you understand.

kscanlon once bubbled...
haven't figured out where they go yet, but I do have a fundraising calendar project that features some pix of me

That's some crazy splunking....

Growing up, I was a tomboy. I wouldn't hesitate to kick any boys @$% who crossed me. And would routinely pound my brother, who's 5 years older.
By the time I hit my 20's I was a high heeled, short skirt, high maintenance gal. People I'd run into from my past, couldn't believe I was the same person. But I still had my adventureous side.
Now I am divorced w/ three children. All school aged. I've toned down the high maintenance (who has time) but not the adventureous side. But I think I've found my 'happy-medium'.

Honestly, I know I would not be a diver if I was still married. He had no interest & I had no time. Now he takes the kids every other weekend, plus 1 week in the spring & 1 week in late summer. Ahhhh, the benefits of getting rid of him just go on & on :D

Kat, regarding your being "high maintenance"... here we go again, making excuses for being feminine. Using labels probably invented by a man out there... Some of the guys I know are more high maintenance than I could ever be with many more "issues", but we (women) always have a tag line attached to us for this or that, the guys don't. If we are promiscuous, we are sl*ts, high maintenance or driven to excellence we are b#tches, you don't see guys with labels for those same traits.

That's why after the relationship is over we find independence and more freedom even without the extra hand. We realize that all that crap isn't true and that playing into it only perpetuates our suppression...

I am finding in my old age that you can find a relationship where you can have that kind of freedom, but women need to be more independent within the relationship from the get go. I don't know if I am making sense or not but I really went through a personal growth in my life the past few years after my divorce and although it was a rocky time in my life, I seem to have "seen the light" about a lot of things. Many of which I had control over but didn't know it at the time... Forgive me for getting too deep.

Shellbird,

You are right on target. I see women, in business, being labeled as difficult or worse. Their behavior is no different than the men.
Men are expected to be aggressive go-getters. But it is frowned upon when women exhibit the same behavior. By both men & women.

And relationships...well where do I begin. It's imperative that young girls be taught to be strong, independent thinkers. To know their own mind. And to stand up for what they believe in.

IMHO it's a small percentage of men that feel the need to totally dominate a woman, physically, emotionally, intellectually etc...

I've run into a couple really high maintenance guys in my day. They are better than the no maintenance guys :D

Kat once bubbled...
Shellbird,

I've run into a couple really high maintenance guys in my day. They are better than the no maintenance guys :D

That's where my coffe spilled. You'r just so right.:wink:

If you want some good ideas on standing up for your self I recommend the following site: http://www.heartless-*****es.com/

I don't really see it as a case of being different. I think that there are a lot of factors which com into play when determing who dives and who doesn't.

Exposure to the sport. I knew a lot of divers before I learned
Cash- lets face it, it aint cheap.
Time. A lot of women are the primary carers in their home, especially where there are children

I'm sure that if this factors were removed then there would be more women than men diving out there! Go Girls!

Booga

(Currently 32 weeks pregnant and looking forward to getting back in the water!)

diety-of-choice*, you have changed my life!

heartless-*****es.com is WONDERFUL. my new favorite website. my favorite excerpt:

"Have you HAD IT with people telling you that you are TOO LOUD, TOO ASSERTIVE, or TOO OPINIONATED?"

now, i have not been accused of these, lately :). but, lately, several men have -- independently -- told me that i am TOO SELF-SUFFICIENT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

argh. gasp. cough. choke. is this possible? apparently this trait intimidates men, or so i am told. (well, who the @#$% cares about a man, or woman, who finds this trait off-putting, yes?)

everyone, check out this website. men, i don't *think* you'll be offended -- a very quick glance indicates it blasts some types of men AND women, but does not categorically damn either gender.

now, a tip for those who think slowly in the morning, before the first cup of caffeine hits: the link in dame dykker's post does not work. you must fill in the asterisks with the appropriate letters. (discovered the hard way :).)

divemistress
whose wednesday starts with a smile....

*fabulous phrase stolen from a previous post of dame dykker's.

DameDykker once bubbled...

That's where my coffe spilled. You'r just so right.:wink:

If you want some good ideas on standing up for your self I recommend the following site: http://www.heartless-*****es.com/

Back
Top Bottom