Dive company recommendation for Cozumel in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, I do. I will never, never dive with an op who does not wash, rinse, and dry my stuff again. Never.
And washing my gear for me is an amenity that I care absolutely nothing about, which is a good thing; as we have said, continually, there is no dive op who is the best op for everyone.

And washing my gear for me is an amenity that I care absolutely nothing about, which is a good thing; as we have said, continually, there is no dive op who is the best op for everyone.
Yeah, that's another one of my "must have" things. I wear so much neoprene, and again, given that I live in town and don't have a car, it would be a PITA to schlepp it back to my house from the downtown pier...along with my camera, strobe and dry bag... Maybe I should just buy a car...

You aren't reading them right. LU's price includes the 16% tax. Aldora's and 3P's prices do not include tax. Using an apples to apples price comparison, the respective prices are LU: $100; Aldora: $108 and 3P: $86.

Aldora is $93 less a cash discount of 10% making it $84. Yes there's tax.

Try this... 3p's $86 (no tax) divided by 70 minutes = $1.23 per minute. Aldora, after the discount and including tax, divided by 90 minutes = $1.08 per minute.

Try this... 3p's $86 (no tax) divided by 70 minutes = $1.23 per minute. Aldora, after the discount and including tax, divided by 90 minutes = $1.08 per minute.
I believe pretty much all ops offer discounts of various sorts...multiple dives, cash, what have you.

That math does not work for me. After 70 minutes on an AL80 I am ready to come up.

Longer bottom times don't work for me either because that adds a longer SI which means my wife might see me by dinner rather than 1:00 to 2:00 PM. Now if I were going alone it would be a different story but in general we both make the trip.

So you like wearing wetsuits, hoods, and booties that were rinsed in the same pissy water as the others, huh? I'll wash my own, thanks.

Pissy water? LOL! C'mon now the ocean is the world's largest toilet bowl! Some steril urine that may be in a wash tank? That's an absolute non-issue. The ONLY thing I tend to think about from time to time is the mouthpiece on my regulator that was rinsed in a common tank in the event someone else on the boat may be sick. That's easy enough to remedy... I'll take some drinking water from the boat or some sea water and rinse my mouthpiece and reg with it IF I SEE SOMEONE ON THE BOAT SNEEZING/SNIFFLING with a potential flu or cold but someone with the flu or a cold usually isn't diving. As such, I've never performed a secondary rinse of my mouthpiece on a boat.

You are far more apt to get an infection from an uncovered cut while diving (I always bring true WATERPROOF bandages on dive trips) or sustaining a cut from accidentally touching something sharp underwater. Having been stung by a stingray years ago which I was caught fishing and was trying to release without a hook left in its mouth, I can tell you the ocean is full of micobacteria we have not developed an immunity to (and how could we). A high dose of IV antibiotics followed by a course of strong oral antibiotics finally killed the infection caused by who knows what microbiotic cocktail I got injected with thanks to that stingray.

Oh, BTW... Any Stingray I've caught since gets cut off with the hook left in its mouth as it will rust away in a few days anyway. No more $1,500 spent on an ER visit and treatments with high power antibiotics. Swimming with the wild stingrays at Stingray City off Grand Caymen 25 years ago... Holding them, playing with them, and feeding them? I was a friggin' idiot touron back then who didn't know any better and it's not like that tour operator shared any of the risks involved!

I am rambling. Long story short... not worried about pissy water in a rinse tank.

You are far more apt to get an infection from an uncovered cut while diving (I always bring true WATERPROOF bandages on dive trips) or sustaining a cut from accidentally touching something sharp underwater. Having been stung by a stingray years ago which I was caught fishing and was trying to release without a hook left in its mouth, I can tell you the ocean is full of micobacteria we have not developed an immunity to (and how could we). A high dose of IV antibiotics followed by a course of strong oral antibiotics finally killed the infection caused by who knows what microbiotic cocktail I got injected with thanks to that stingray.
My brother-in-law once got scratched by a tooth of a barracuda he was trying to de-hook and he had a very similar experience. Pain, swelling, inflammation, antibiotics... it went on for weeks. No fun at all.

Pissy water? LOL! C'mon now the ocean is the world's largest toilet bowl! Some steril urine that may be in a wash tank? That's an absolute non-issue!

I could not help but think 'yuck'.

Personally, I do not treat the environment like a toilet bowl or garbage can to the best of what is possible.

I'm also quite strict about hygiene, and much prefer to thoroughly rinse my gear myself in the cleanest water available, and often wince just a little when full bags get piled in upon each other into what is already, well, murky water.

I could not help but think 'yuck'.

Personally, I do not treat the environment like a toilet bowl or garbage can to the best of what is possible.

I'm also quite strict about hygiene, and much prefer to thoroughly rinse my gear myself in the cleanest water available, and often wince just a little when full bags get piled in upon each other into what is already, well, murky water.
Yep, I leave my BC, fins, and pony bottle with my Op, but I don't want anyone's pee on my suit, much less my reg, mask, beanie, etc. I do my own soaking and rinsing in the room: reg, camera, computer, mask first, then beanie, suit and booties last. And I don't trust anyone with my PLB & canister; I don't want curious person setting it off.

Back
Top Bottom