Dive computer????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord:
That is exactly my point. Conservatism reaches a point of diminishing returns.

For your info: The D9 and D6 (maybe other models as well) allow you to set the model less conservative. This in addition to setting the computer more conservative which has already been mentioned.

Maybe the wish for people to be more conservative is directly related to the experience they have and/or how comfortable they feel under water.

Personally I believe I need to get a lot more dives done before I want to go near the edge of the NDL's. I do feel comfortable under water but know I still lack the experience.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I'm diving and I'm not back in five minutes...............wait a bit longer.

I read about the higher end Suunto's allowing someone to dial back the conservatism if desired.

LIke I said, not going to close to the edge of NDL is probably a good thing for most people. BUT, doing so blindly, without knowing what the numbers on the computer means, is asking for trouble. How conservative is enough. How liberal is really too much? The user manual won't tell you.

Yeesh. "Over Think". Look it up.

If you're tech diving, computers should be used in guage mode, if at all. If you're doing basic rec diving, get a good, name brand computer and don't go too close to the line. Odds are you are in no more danger than diving the tables.

Moving on...

CompuDude:
Yeesh. "Over Think". Look it up.

If you're tech diving, computers should be used in guage mode, if at all. If you're doing basic rec diving, get a good, name brand computer and don't go too close to the line. Odds are you are in no more danger than diving the tables.

Moving on...
Is that from "Diving for Dummies"...?

I think I'll stick with my approach on dives that get me into Yellow, and I make them a lot: Half-max-depth stop, safety stop, another 1 min at 10 ft, another 1 or 2 floating.

DCS is rare, but I am not careful by nature - have to work at it.

The Viper does everything the Cobra does except it is not air integrated. Works well. Especially if you prefer to use it in the watch configuration. More reasonable than the Cobra.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom