Dive computer????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon:
Well stated read from a good source. Thanks, didn't know it was there.

That's the way I have felt for some time, but I recently acquired another reason for not wanting a Suunto: It's owned by Aqua Lung! See link in my Sig...

I try very hard to steer away from any product under the Aire Liquide group.

It's hard to forsake an Apeks reg though.

If you go to the doctor and he tells you should quit smoking, exercise more, etc. Do you just find one that’s not so "strict?" After all your body dosent change from Dr. ro Dr. (or comp to comp) just their reccomendations.

By that logic, WaterDawg, the more liberal computer is "bad" for you.

TheRedHead:
By that logic, WaterDawg, the more liberal computer is "bad" for you.

You said it not me! just kidding!
A more liberal Dr. isnt necessarily a bad one, just one willing to take more risk (w/ your body).

Would you say that a more conservative comp places you in MORE risk? Or would you say that about a liberal comp? It all comes down to what your comfortable with. If you really want more BT get an old Orca it really "lets your body handle more N2 'safely' than other comps":blinking: Or for the ultimate in BT...leave your comp on the boat.

WaterDawg:
If you go to the doctor and he tells you should quit smoking, exercise more, etc. Do you just find one that’s not so "strict?" After all your body dosent change from Dr. ro Dr. (or comp to comp) just their reccomendations.

This is not a valid analogy to computer comparisons. Once again, there is no evidence whatsoever that more conservative computers prevent DCS more effectively than liberal ones in recreational, single tank diving. You might want to think that you're safer diving with a suunto, and of course that's why many people buy them, but there are no statistics to support that. IMO the far "safer" course of action is to learn as much as you can about what has been associated with DCS as a rec diver, and dive accordingly. Things like rapid ascents, dehydration, exercise after diving, etc...

OTOH, there's plenty of statistical evidence to show that smoking and lack of exercise have serious health consequences!

shellbackdiver1:
I try very hard to steer away from any product under the Aire Liquide group.
I saw your post on the AL thread. Wish you'd explain, there or here...?

WaterDawg:
You said it not me! just kidding!
A more liberal Dr. isnt necessarily a bad one, just one willing to take more risk (w/ your body).

Would you say that a more conservative comp places you in MORE risk? Or would you say that about a liberal comp? It all comes down to what your comfortable with. If you really want more BT get an old Orca it really "lets your body handle more N2 'safely' than other comps":blinking: Or for the ultimate in BT...leave your comp on the boat.
True, if a more conservative doctor told me to stop smoking, exercise more, don't drive or walk on streets or hiways - that'd be even safer. But as absurd as using an excessively conservative computer.

Suunto computers may be more conservative than the tables but that only comes into play if you are diving a square profile. Otherwise the computer (even Suunto computers) would always give you more time. Now if you want to work with the tables to work out a multilevel dive for say every 30 seconds as the default setting on a Suunto Gekko would do, be my guest. You may find the computer may provide for less NDL time but completing 100 dive profiles for a 50 minute dive seems to be quite a waste of time to me.

{Edit: if you are following the thread via emails I had to make some changes so re-read the post}

DandyDon:
Well stated read from a good source. Thanks, didn't know it was there.

That's the way I have felt for some time, but I recently acquired another reason for not wanting a Suunto: It's owned by Aqua Lung! See link in my Sig...
My research Sunto is not owned by Aqua Lung. Suunto is a wholly owned subsidiary of Amer Sports Corporation which is a public company listed on the Helsinki Stock Exchange. Aqua Lung and Air Liquide are not listed in Amer Sports annual report as shareholders. I believe Aqua Lung is an importer of Suunto drive products in the USA (I don't know how exclusive) but that is the extent of their affiliation. I haven't checked but this might be true for the other brands/manufactures listed in your signature. I understand the contraversy with Aqua Lung (AL) and I even agree that maybe they should be avoided but it is not fair to penalize unrelated companies.

</scratching my head> why do I even care?:huh:

So can anyone explain why Aqualung gives free replacement batteries on Suunto computers if they are not owned by Suunto. In my line of work I/we import alot of stuff....but we never give anything away for free unless it is soley owned by my company.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom