Dive computer????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverDano:
There is only one computer that offers competent info and algorithms, Cochran...don't take my word for it, go to the web site and compare. One second sampling, the nitek for example only has 30 sec or 15 sec. And...no othet computer will give you longer bottom times...safely......

I should cut this and paste it somewhere important... :11doh:

diverDano:
There is only one computer that offers competent info and algorithms, Cochran...don't take my word for it, go to the web site and compare. One second sampling, the nitek for example only has 30 sec or 15 sec. And...no othet computer will give you longer bottom times...safely......
You'll need to define what you consider "competent info and algorithms" to be. 1 second sampling is good but isn't the end-all-be-all. While Cochran makes good computers, the VR2/3 and the HS-Explorer are generally considered to be equally as good.

You can spend a lot on a PDC, but - it will fail someday. It's a matter of when, not if. Like the man said: "I think you will find a number of divers who don't "trust" computers. Sure they are reliable. BUT, they are electronic instruments, with a $10 battery, often in saltwater. Law of averages says you are tempting fate if you place all your trust in a computer." They're high tech, fancy, electronic tools made to be competitively priced - not for NASA moon shots. And some of those have failed, too.

I dive with two computers, same brand, same readings, if one fails (as happened on last trip) the other one has almost the same info. Other instruments I dive with every time as I wouldn't trust a PDC...
>> SPG. Much better track record than the hose-less gizmos.
>> Magnetic compass. Nice, simple, dependable.
>> $15 watch from Wal-mart - water resistant to 100 meters, stopwatch: I want to know what time it is in case the skipper gave us a clock deadline, and I want to manage my stops myself - with PDCs tracking the time, depth, loads.

What is the brand of that $15.00 watch at walmart?

I can't find it

Does it come in Pink or fusia?

ocrmaster:
What is the brand of that $15.00 at walmart?
Does it come in Pink or fusia?
I've bought a few there, but last time I went to replace one - Wal-mart did not have the large screen Armitron I wanted. Actually got this one at Walgreens. It's nice, cheap looking silver colored chronometer with a sexy black, plastic wrist strap. I don't cry when I scratch it on the boat ladder, either.

Wallyworld does have other choices in the "sport watches" area, but seem to be smaler than they used to be, which is okay if you're under 40 with good eyes. I have a vague memory of being under 40.

Thanks.. checking now.

Seems they are all $30.00 up.

ocrmaster:
Thanks.. checking now.

Seems they are all $30.00 up.
If you're looking at Wlamart.com, it often does not carry the cheaper items. Only in stores. I just tried to find my watch on Nextag, but about the best they're offering is 165 ft. If you move your arm thru the water at 130, you might exceed that pressure a bit - I just like the WR330. Glad I bought two last time.

The cheap Wal-Mart brand is Aqua-Tech. I bought one as a cheap backup. Worked great. Even took it to 100ft in Nitrox class. Paid less than $7 for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom