Dive computer????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a early D9 adapter, there has been nothing wrong with the D9, even transmitter and digital compass. Only thing I hate is the suunto manager.

For the rec diving, I admit it is is way expensieve and you can get the tech oriented computer at the same price. But, there is a market for this kind of watch, for example a watch size, digital compass, transmitter, gas switch or titanium. I like my Omega Seamster. I know I can get the watch having more function at $100. But, do I regret my investment? No....

I am also using D9 for my deco diving in a gauge mode. It works great, too. As for the digital compass, it is depending on your diving style. When I practice the scientic diving drill (a lot of marking and mapping), it used to be PITA, but for the occational use for the rec. diving, it is more than enough. How often and long do you need to see your compass? Not that many...

That is, there is a lot of preference depending on your diving style and economical status.

If you are moving to tech dive, you had better be stick to the simple BT or tech oriented computer. Otherwise, it works fine and everybody wants to look at your watch... :wink:

ThomasVJ:
Thanks Perrone - you advice are appreciated!

Sorry for the newbee questions, but think it's better to be a fool for 5 seconds than the rest of your life :)

What kind of backup would you recomend when using a dive computer like D9?

Would you say that a computer like Cobra is "safer" than a D9? I have to admidt that I'm starting to lean towards the Cobra or similar models now..

If you are doing basic recreational dives, you need 3 pieces of information, perhaps 4.

1. Dive time/Surface time.
2. Depth.
3. Remaining air/gas
4. PERHAPS you will need to know which direction to go to get back to the boat or shore.

So tools needed

1. Watch with stopwatch feature.
2. Depth guage.
3. SPG
4. Compass

For *MY* diving:

1. Is covered by my computer, my watch, and my buddy
2. Is covered by my computer and my buddy. I also have an analog depth guage if my dive is particualarly deep or I think I migh incur deco.
3. Covered by SPG
4. When required, covered by me, and my buddy.

If my computer fails the ONLY information I MAY not have without backup is depth. If I HAVE to, I can guess at something between 10 and 20ft and spend some time there. The big failure point is the SPG. However, if it fails, the dive is aborted. If I did my dive plan properly, I should have no problems exiting. No equipment failure will place me in danger of not having my basic dive information to get out of the water safely.

If you use the D9 to it's fullest capacity, you lose all 4 pieces of vital dive information.

ThomasVJ:
I was also looking at the D9 because of it's integrated compass and because it's wireless. However, it seems like many don't thrust the computers? Are they not reliable? Find it strange, if accidents did happend because the computer dident work it woulden't have been sold?

And, why thrust one with a hose like the cobra then? Seems just as much as an computer as D9 - just with a hose connection?

Is the D9 compass any good? I suspect it's mostly a gimmick. For serious navigation you would probably end up getting a real compass anyway. For quick reference you can always buy one of those $10 mini compasses that you clip onto the wrist strap. I have one and I like it because sometimes I don't feel like bringing a big compass with me.

About computers, my problem with them is that they aren't versatile enough. For example, if I start using trimix my computer won't work with it. If I had a trimix computer it might not use the same algorithm that I prefer to use. For example, I like to start my deep stops (or pauses really) at around 75% of my depth from the point of ascent, yet most (all?) computers would penalize me for such stops.

Another example is with respect to helium, there's some debate about whether you need more or less deco when using helium rich gases, and I'd rather make those decisions for myself rather than have the computer make them for me.

Right now I have an Oceanic Versa Pro, which is pretty good - I use it in gauge mode now and my only real complaint is that it doesn't display seconds. If I was buying again I'd get the Uwatec Aladin Tec (capsule from scubatoys and a wrist boot from DSS) because it has a very nice gauge mode with stop-watch function and average depth display.

I love my Suunto Vytec DS w/ hoseless Transmitter.
But I still dive with my SPG as a backup.

Air/Nitrox

You can set it to be more conservative or less conservative.

Click image for a larger view.

Secondly, the wonderfully small form factor makes for not-so-wonderful tiny readouts. My eyes are starting to go, and I have trouble reading the watch while night diving. Even with the backlight on.
That was exactly why i went with the Vytec DS - old age is catching up to me as well.

Third, the wireless sender should be as close as possible to the watch. Ideally, it should be sticking out of your HP port on the same side of your body as your watch wrist.

My transmitter is located on the rightside HP port and a wear my Suunto Vytec on my left hand. No problems what so ever. However to sinc the Vytec to the transmitter it has to be very close to get the code.

ocrmaster:
But I still dive with my SPG as a backup.

That's your choice :wink:

I don't use SPG when I use the transmitter. If then, why did I buy D9? This is my choice :wink:

If your transmitter fails ...

What must you do?

abort the dive and surface.

If you read the Suunto Manual they recommend to dive with a SPG as a backup
even with a transmitter.

As you said to each his own.

Dive Safe hoosier

There is only one computer that offers competent info and algorithms, Cochran...don't take my word for it, go to the web site and compare. One second sampling, the nitek for example only has 30 sec or 15 sec. And...no othet computer will give you longer bottom times...safely......

ocrmaster:
If your transmitter fails ...

What must you do?

abort the dive and surface.

If you read the Suunto Manual they recommend to dive with a SPG as a backup
even with a transmitter.

As you said to each his own.

Dive Safe hoosier

Yes, I call the dive and surface up... It isn't a big deal in a rec diving range and NDL. For the tech diving, it is out of question because I haven't seen anyone who is using the transmitter.

Thanks. I will do....

According to my manual u can hookup 3 Transmitters (3 tanks) to work with the Suunto Vytec DS.

heheheheh Not that i am planning to do so.

ocrmaster:
According to my manual u can hookup 3 Transmitters (3 tanks) to work with the Suunto Vytec DS.

heheheheh Not that i am planning to do so.

But, you can't switch gas transmitter in underwater, at least on my D9. So, it is useless in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom