Dive computer????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I don't really see the point of the D9. If you're going to spend that much money why not just get a VR3? Then you really know you have something which will cope with any diving you are going to do in the future.

The point of getting a D9 would be for its size. It is a watch size and eliminates the need for a compass. I think it is aimed for recreational divers who want all instruments in one package.

Well, it doesn't really eliminate the need for anything. If you need a compass then you need a backup compass. You can't be relying on something electronic to find your way home.

Ice Mike:
If you don't need to have air intergration and/or an user replaceable battery, IMO the suunto D6 is a good choice.

It has all the options of the D9, except for the air intergration and three gas mixes (only two with D6).

I believe the actual computer in the D6 is exactly the same computer as in the D9.
So any childhood diseases have been taken care off through the experiences with the D9.

So if you decide to go for a wrist unit, the price differences needs to be compensated by the air intergration and additional gas mix.

---------------------------
If am diving and am not back in 5 minutes....................wait a bit longer

I'm also considering buying a computer, and I have discarded the D9 as one of my options. Instead, I'm considering the Vytec DS. It is exactly the same as the D9, with two exceptions: no compass, and a larger unit (and screen). So the choice between display size/compass I definitely go for the compass. To boot, the Vytec DS retails for $1,260, which is significantly cheaper than the D9.

The other contender in my decision making is the uwatec Smart Tec. A runner up, but which I've already discarded due to the algorithm they use, is the Oceanic VT3.

Hope the decision making goes smoothly for you...

Cesar

Welcome to waterworld. DECISIONS, DECISIONS, DECISIONS, the first of many to come!! I like my react pro, just enough tech and easy to use!

$1200?!?!! For a Vytec? And that's CHEAPER than a D9??? Man, am I out of touch. And here I was thinking that a VR3 with Nitrox, Helium, and VPM was expensive for that price. Or thinking that the Dive Rite Nitek with Helium option (now on sale for $595 at dive rite express) was expensive.

Wow...

I was also looking at the D9 because of it's integrated compass and because it's wireless. However, it seems like many don't thrust the computers? Are they not reliable? Find it strange, if accidents did happend because the computer dident work it woulden't have been sold?

And, why thrust one with a hose like the cobra then? Seems just as much as an computer as D9 - just with a hose connection?

I think you will find a number of divers who don't "trust" computers. Sure they are reliable. BUT, they are electronic instruments, with a $10 battery, often in saltwater. Law of averages says you are tempting fate if you place all your trust in a computer.

Look at what we trust them to do.

1. Depth guage
2. Timer
3. Decompression information
4. Surface interval timer
5. Time-to-fly timer
6. Compass?
7. SPG (wireless or hose models)

Can you imagine what would happen to a diver who had done a few dives on a weekend, who was solely reliant upon his computer, and it failed underwater? How many people do you know who carry a seperate depth guage, or a backup timer on every dive? If you REALLY need a compass, do you want to trust one with a battery? Are you REALLY going to trust something with a battery to tell you how much air you've got to breathe left? Especially if you're cutting it close?

Your comments about accidents happening is lost on me. People die in cars every day. They are still sold. And vital safety equipment that could be installed in every car is not. And yet people still buy them.

None of this is to say tha SUUNTO or other manufacturers don't make reliable computers. They do. I own a SUUNTO. However, I do not trust my computer with my life. I use it to track some basic information like depth and time of the dive as well as maximum depth. I use a second backup timer on EVERY dive. I dive with a buddy I can trust who becomes my backup depth monitor and we dive the same profile. I use a basic SPG. On dives where a compass is required, I will have one that is not battery operated and so will my buddy.

Again, it's not that the computers are unreliable. It's that its an electronic instrument, and not only CAN it fail, given enough time, it WILL fail.

Thanks Perrone - you advice are appreciated!

Sorry for the newbee questions, but think it's better to be a fool for 5 seconds than the rest of your life :)

What kind of backup would you recomend when using a dive computer like D9?

Would you say that a computer like Cobra is "safer" than a D9? I have to admidt that I'm starting to lean towards the Cobra or similar models now..

I just purchased my first dive computer, and went with a D9. I wanted a sleek kit, and liked the wireless pressure integration. I dove with consoles a few times, and didn't like bulk or the extra effort needed to check them... having to bend them up from my crotch while I look down. I figure that the D9 allows me to check the status early and often.

Now the downsides... first, I'm very dissapointed in the compass. It's neat, but often seems 'off'. (See separate thread.) I'm not sure if this is an individual defect, or whether they're all useless.

Secondly, the wonderfully small form factor makes for not-so-wonderful tiny readouts. My eyes are starting to go, and I have trouble reading the watch while night diving. Even with the backlight on.

Third, the wireless sender should be as close as possible to the watch. Ideally, it should be sticking out of your HP port on the same side of your body as your watch wrist.

I still like the computer, but I hope that there is a fix for the compass!

coyote

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom