Dive computer????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife dives the Cobra and loves the simplicity and easy to read display. I dive the Uwatec Smart TEC which is (1) hoseless, and (2) allows you to switch cylinders/mixes at depth which is handy if you ever decide to do deco diving. (You'll need a second bottom timer for that if you do.) I love the fact that there is one less hose. That is a personal view though; others think that an electronic failure is more likely than a hose failure. But, again, if you're in a deco situation (i.e., cannot terminate the dive if there is a failure), then you need a second bottom timer anyhow. So, it's a mute point in my opinion.

So, if you go with a hose, I'd say stick with the Cobra. If you go hoseless, consider the Smart TEC. It's easier to read, easier to manipulate at depth (e.g., actuate the backlight), and has more features.

A lot of people have commented that the Suunto's are conservative, but they see that as a good thing. While I agree that having a computer that doesn't walk the edge can be a good thing, when does it go overboard?

To wit: Why not just limit your own dives to 30 minutes at 60-70ft. That way, you don't really even need a computer. Thirty minute dives with a 2 hour surface interval.

PerroneFord:
To wit: Why not just limit your own dives to 30 minutes at 60-70ft. That way, you don't really even need a computer. Thirty minute dives with a 2 hour surface interval.

Then again, why limit your dives to those parameters? You would miss a lot of great dives.

PerroneFord:
A lot of people have commented that the Suunto's are conservative, but they see that as a good thing. While I agree that having a computer that doesn't walk the edge can be a good thing, when does it go overboard?

Oh, I think the Suuntos are overboard already. Cut 10% off of already conservative tables? Why...?

But like you said, how far do you want to go? Dial in 20% reductions? 40%? Stay on the boat with your PFD on? Wave from the dock? Watch TV from home....?

Just set the Suunto to EAN24 and go diving! :D

PerroneFord:

And why not to dive a couple of feet above your buddy and let him to worry about the NDL:D Whatever computer or table you are using our personal preferences and habits underwater has a lot more influence to NDL than the difference btw the most conservative vs most liberal table/computer...

TheRedHead:
Then again, why limit your dives to those parameters? You would miss a lot of great dives.

That is exactly my point. Conservatism reaches a point of diminishing returns.

TeddyDiver:
And why not to dive a couple of feet above your buddy and let him to worry about the NDL.

That's no fun.

shellbackdiver1:
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/suunto.asp Rather then writing alot im lazy....read the link
Well stated read from a good source. Thanks, didn't know it was there.

That's the way I have felt for some time, but I recently acquired another reason for not wanting a Suunto: It's owned by Aqua Lung! See link in my Sig...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom