Dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive for enjoyment and social interaction along the way. My DC allows me more bottom time and no stress of making a mistake on multiple dive profiles etc. using tables. Besides, I love Gadgets, he who has the most toys wins ;-)

I think Matt hit the nail on the head with equating a DC to a calculator. In real life for most of us it is faster and more accurate than doing math on paper, the same can be said for using a DC in place of tables. However total dependence on either a calculator or a DC can lead to a using the tool without understanding the basic principles that drive it. That ignorance can be dangerous.

Since I am a technical diver, a cave diver, I look at this a little differently for my dives. Dives in caves are not like recreational dives. It is a sawtooth profile in a cave. The tables were designed for a dive where you descend to a depth, stay there for some time, and then ascend to the surface. If you do multi-level dives, and you are using tables, technically you don't get to take advantage of a time at a shallower depth. I know that some do depth averaging, but I am not a fan of that. This is the big attraction to computers to begin with, getting credit for the shallower profile as your computer tracks your depth.

On a cave dive, you don't just go down to a depth and then gradually get shallower until the dive is over. Its a sawtooth profile that may bring you shallow enough to require a deco stop before you can continue in a run in the cave. Without a computer, if you had to figure all of these stops manually, it may take you a lot of dives, first of all, to know where all these points are, and then a lot of concentration on not missing those stops. The computer figures all that out for you without having to think about it. All I need to be concerned about is planning enough gas for the dive on whatever gas management rules I am using. The computer will tell me where all my stops are. And I carry redundant identical computers (DR Nitek Duo) on my cave dives (although I usually make additional deep stops on deco dives).

If I do a recreational dive, I don't need to worry as much about the profile. I try to always go to the deepest part of the dive first, and then go shallower from that point out (within reason). So if it is a wall dive, I go as deep as I want to down the side, and then move up higher as the dive goes along to avoid deco. With a computer, you can track your nitrogen during the dive, and ascend to a shallower depth before you exceed the NDL.

Well I guess dive computers didn’t do for diving. What windows did for PC’s. But they both added to the fun. Thanks all. I have been wanting to ask this for a long time.

I think Matt hit the nail on the head with equating a DC to a calculator. In real life for most of us it is faster and more accurate than doing math on paper, the same can be said for using a DC in place of tables. However total dependence on either a calculator or a DC can lead to a using the tool without understanding the basic principles that drive it. That ignorance can be dangerous.

True. You should understand the principles, but once you do then using a computer is probably safer and more reliable. If you give someone who understands tables 10 profiles to calculate they will probably only get 8 or 9 right, not because they don't understand how to do it but because humans aren't good at doing that sort of problem without making slip-ups.

Personally, I prefer to use a computer to calculate dives in advance and take the tables along on wetnotes. Use a computer for what it's good at - doing lots of calculations without making mistakes. Use wet notes for what they're good at - reliably storing information and presenting it to you when you really need it. :14:

However total dependence on either a calculator or a DC can lead to a using the tool without understanding the basic principles that drive it. That ignorance can be dangerous.

I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of divers don't understand dive table formulation any more than they understand the basis of computer calculations.

Back
Top Bottom