dive gear for kids?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mom2twinz99

Registered
Reaction score
We have twins that will be 10 early next summer, and finally, we can get them certified! Does anyone know where to find gear (mainly having trouble with bc) for kids that small? I know we can't be the only family who want their kids to dive, but I can't find the equipment they need. The best I remember, one of the things we learned during our certification course was how important it was to have properly fitting gear, so I hate to opt for a womens small.

Aqualung Wave Jr. My daughter was certified at ten and is petite. This BC served her well for several years.

My 8 years daughter very comfortable with the following set-up (for buble maker)
- Aqualung Wave jr. from LP
- Mares Proton Metal w/ smaller mouth piece & shortened hose + Viper Brigade octo + tiny Tusa SCA 230T Compact Analog Gauge, from ST
- Neosport Wetsuit
- Tecnosub kid mask

I wouldn't worry about whether it's a women's small or whatever. As long as it fits alright, go with it. Keep in mind that before long, your kids won't fit into anything that fits them now anyway.

My son used a Zeagle Ranger Jr. BCD and he got two or three years use because it is adjustable. He also used a Henderson Hyperstretch wetsuit and got three years use before he out grew it.

Oceanic used to (or still does) have an entire line of kids gear. BC's. regs, etc.

Triple L advertises it's BC's will fit small children.

Dive Rite has a "trade in program" that you can upgrade your kids BC as they get bigger. (or they did).

Oceanic has BC's for kids and it also has a 20% off trade in program running for those who want to trade in old gear (regardless of brand) for new gear.

Any Oceanic dealer should be able to help you with this and you can also check out the Oceanic website.

My son got certified when he was 10 and has been diving in a Back Plate/Wing since. Diving is already expensive and didn't want to be dropping a few hundred if not more every time he got a growth spurt. He's now 14 and still wears the same set up, I've just had to adjust it now and then. At the most I'll be out $20 on some webbing should I have cut it too short. There are some companies like Deep Sea Supply and Halcyon that make small back plates now for smaller people. With proper care and upkeep a BP/W will be useful for them into adulthood.

Mark

My son got certified when he was 10 and has been diving in a Back Plate/Wing since. Diving is already expensive and didn't want to be dropping a few hundred if not more every time he got a growth spurt. He's now 14 and still wears the same set up, I've just had to adjust it now and then. At the most I'll be out $20 on some webbing should I have cut it too short. There are some companies like Deep Sea Supply and Halcyon that make small back plates now for smaller people. With proper care and upkeep a BP/W will be useful for them into adulthood.

Mark

A Back Plate and Wing can keep up with a growing boy, to a point. The harness is widely adjustable, and as you noted replacement webbing is inexpensive if more is required.

If the size wing is carefully chosen it should serve for many years.

At some point (~5'3" - 5'4" and taller) a larger plate will be required, however the modular nature of a BP&W means the harness hardware and wing can be retained.

Backplates also retain a fair resale value.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom