dive gear for kids?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel bad about being part of the Backplate & Wing Mafia but I just got an Oxycheq Ultra Lite Travel Back Plate to go with an 18# travel wing for my wife. She's 4'-11" and 105 and it easily fits her and could go much smaller. I dove it this past weekend at the local quarry and it works for me as well at 5'-10" and 180#. It will be an excellent warm water / travel rig as the kids get older, too. Best part is you can set up the whole thing for a little over $300 and never need to buy another just because they outgrow it. DSS has some small travel wings and I think he makes a small plate as well. Dive Rite has a small wing but it may require their proprietary Transpac, which can be pretty pricey and I'm not sure how small they come.

I just don't see any point in buying something that you know absolutely they'll outgrow in a couple of years.

i just rented gear for a while. i got the basics that wernt too expenive live mask, snorkel fins and a semi dry then just rented the rest. i only got my 1st BCD the other week

A Dive Rite Transpac is the perfect BC for small growing children (as well as adults in fact). After purchasing and watching my son quickly grow out of an expensive Scuba Pro BC, I purchased a small used Transpac on eBay. After a couple of years I picked him up a new Transpac during a big sale a Dive Rite Express.

He has been diving the same Transpac size for 5 years as even the small size offers a lot of adjustment. And you can purchase replacement should straps to expand the size even further.

A Dive Rite Transpac is the perfect BC for small growing children (as well as adults in fact). After purchasing and watching my son quickly grow out of an expensive Scuba Pro BC, I purchased a small used Transpac on eBay. After a couple of years I picked him up a new Transpac during a big sale a Dive Rite Express.

He has been diving the same Transpac size for 5 years as even the small size offers a lot of adjustment. And you can purchase replacement should straps to expand the size even further.

I think Dive Rite has (or had) a program where you could get size upgrades for kids?

Oceanic Just re introduced their "Explorer" BC.
mail

They come in 2 sizes, (3XS-ages 8-12 & 2XS-ages 10-14). They are weight integrated as well for convenience.

Any regulator will do though as said earlier, you will want to get smaller mouthpeices to reduce jaw fatigue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom