Dive industry BS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

As far as I know, none of the manufacurers I deal with would care if I priced something over MSRP. Even if they did care, there isn't anything in any of the dealer agreements stating that I can't do it that I remember seeing.

The manufacturer was Dive Rite. Their response when I asked them if they have consumer price protection was:

Yes, We Do. In Fact, we are one of the only companies in the dive industry left that still protects its dealers and customers by requiring other dealers to sell at retail or 10% less cushion -- that is what we allow for a break, if any but that is at the dealers discretion. The Sugg. Retail for the Octo is $79.00. thanks.

Trying to sell a $79 reg for $110 is not a way to keep me as a customer.

James

James Goddard once bubbled...

The manufacturer was Dive Rite. Their response when I asked them if they have consumer price protection was:

Trying to sell a $79 reg for $110 is not a way to keep me as a customer.

James

HOW can they do that? :confused:

Otter once bubbled...

HOW can they do that? :confused:

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. How can Dive Rite protect their prices or how can the LDS try to slap an extra 40% profit on the MSRP?

Ron Brandt once bubbled...
Mike,has business been really slow for you ?

I can't help but notice that you have 3000+ messages on here.
I have been on a year longer with 200 and something.

Seems to be alot of time killin on the board.

Business up here is REALLY SLOW.

I have to ask myself as to what has happend to local support from the public.

Ron

I have a day job which is often slow. My wife is in the shop during the day. My shop has made a few bucks for the manufacturers, cert agencies, credit card companies, land lord...hell every one but me. To date I haven't gotten a single nickle. No pay check from this place.

We were slow this winter and spring. Right now I have a waiting list for classes. Plenty of work but that's not the same as profit.

"Class action"

Consumers, dive shops, take your pick which class you'd like to see formed, and let's see if we can find counsel to take a look at this whole mess....

The other alternative is to do what I'm doing - boycott with our wallets, put stickers on your tanks and trucks, and simply refuse to play. Buy online. Tell the LDSs that you'll be back when they stop this garbage, and take a public stand against it, and not one minute before.

See my .sig for a link....

Otter once bubbled...

man. Doesn't justify only explains. Seems to be the easiest way to offer discounts if via bundles. No one knows which piece of equipment is getting the discount?

I was under the impression that the mfgs could only control advertised prices.....as independent businesses, LDS sets their own price. It would be against Antitrust laws for them to tell LDS to charge a specific price. I know there are attorneys on the board, is this wrong?

Otter

Some specify advertised price limits but other regulate what you can sell for.

There has been a lot of discussion as to whether or not it breaks any laws. Some come right out and say that you can sell for what you want but if you do they won't sell to you, pointing out that they can sell to who they want.

Yes, We Do. In Fact, we are one of the only companies in the dive industry left that still protects its dealers and customers

Well I have no respect for the ilk at Dive Rite ,especially the Canadian distributor Alturnitive Dive Products.

I had wanted to carry a couple of Dive Rite products and asked for a dealer kit.The heavy smoking guy that reps this stuff still uses snail mail and fax machines.

I was asked to fax my credit card number to him as tha cost of the "dealer kit" was $25. Decided to play his little game and faxed the info.

A week later I get an envelope in the mail asking me to re-fax as the original was lost.Could not contact me by email as he does not keep emails from"wana be" dive stores.

I contacted Lamar Hires personally and was told by Lamar on how good this guy was in keeping his numbers up despite the market and how he was the first guy in Canada to do Tech diving.
I never did get an answer as to why mt CC number was lost.

Personally,I don't give a rats ass to a guys diving ability when thay are a supplier.I want Customer service.

Granted,all I wanted to stock was a couple of lights and a wing or two.But as I said befor,a sale is a sale is a sail.

I hope Lamar and his Canadian buddy are reading this.

Ron

and I had an "interesting" discussion over the pricing issues....

Needless to say after talking with him I will NEVER purchase ANYTHING made by that company.

Ever.

The attitude was astounding. They even beat Scubapro/Johnson Outdoors in that regard, which is pretty tough to do.

Genesis once bubbled...
and I had an "interesting" discussion over the pricing issues....

Needless to say after talking with him I will NEVER purchase ANYTHING made by that company.

Ever.

The attitude was astounding. They even beat Scubapro/Johnson Outdoors in that regard, which is pretty tough to do.

As a general rule I'm against companies that do any sort of price fixing. However in the dive industry that leaves you with no choices for any sort of quality gear. I was just happy that since I have to deal with it in the dive industry that it actually worked to my advantage for a change.

Do you really suggest that we limit our sources of scuba gear to the 3 manufacturers listed on your site?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom