Dive Psychology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Kevin:

Having certified a few students with the same problem, let me ask you something. Do you consider yourself mildly claustrophobic? What I mean is that occasionally, do dark or tight places make you feel somewhat anxious?

Many people are somewhat claustrophobic to a degree – some don’t even know it – and these same people generally handle it after "getting adjusted." The behavior you describe sounds like that you are "adjusting" to the limited physical space your mind has found itself in. This is usually caused by lower visibility, a wetsuit hood, masks with darker colored construction, tighter BCDs and/or straps or other stuff that “constricts” you and may not have been present during pool training. Have you done a "low-viz" dive yet and, if so, how did you feel? Compare this to "better" visibility dives. Any differences?

My advice on how to handle this is to first recognize that an "issue" exists and then analyze the symptoms. Visualize in your mind overcoming the issue and keep doing what you are doing - more dives. As you get "used to it," assuming you don’t have a “true” phobia – and it doesn’t sound like you do – your symptoms will probably go away.

Just so you know, the first time I had a "claustrophobic problem" was on a cave dive in a spring called "Little River" in Florida. I got stuck between the ceiling and muddy floor of the cave quite always back in and had to come out of my tanks to get free. I was amazed how quickly things "closed in" on me and how I became anxious. It took a few minutes to "calm down" before I could continue. Sometimes we don't know how we will react until we have an experience...

Anyway, good luck! Post questions if you have them...

I visualize my dive before I go. Specifically I think about floating down softly and slowly. I think about being engulfed in the nice cool (cooler than on the boat) clear water. During this I close my eyes... if that matters.

Once I hit the water I do what I need to do and start down. I take a big breath through the reg and gently release as I start to decend.... it's almost like telling my body to start breathing deeply and slowly. As I submerge I look down to see how much time I have, close my eyes for a bit and focus on equalizing. I probably equalize more than I need to but a descent for me is actually a very calming experience. It might be my favorite part of the dive.

You may find it helps to just hang out on the downline at 15 to 20 feet for 2 or 3 minutes. Longer, if you're actively feeling anxious at the time.

Same thing for those who get a sudden feeling while descending. Nothing wrong with stopping the descent, hang out for a minute & get comfortable again & then resume the dive. Just make sure your buddy knows you may do this & will watch for it.

Back
Top Bottom