Dive-Rite Duo Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

These computers are JUNK! I purchased 2 of them early this year to take to Key Largo. I bought the Tusa version still made by Seiko just different name on the outside. I took them to a local quarry for a Dive along with my Chochran Captain and my buddies Chochran. We deceded to probably 30-35 feet the Tusa (Duo's) registered 15 feet. We checked our other computers they read 35 feet. On our SI I called the retailer I bought them from they said to "Reset" them. On the second and third dives they worked ok. I took them to Key Largo. We reset them incase the flight had anything to do with them reading wrong. My son had one and I had one. The first day they worked OK. The second day my son showed me his and the depth was boucnce all over. We got back on the boat and his went into Deco then locked after reading 65 feet on the boat and bouncing around. I returned them and got Aeris XR2s. I have about 15 dives on them and they are working great!!

Hope this helps.

I have the Duo, about a year now, ~75 dives (no deco) and it has worked flawlessly..<knock on wood> I would not hesitate to buy another.

Yes, there were multiple threads here and on The DecoStop about issues with the duo.. Seems to be with the exact scenario you stated, deco dive, hitting button to go into the secondary screen. Computer goes blank.

I believe the issue started about 2 years ago (about a year before I bought mine) and most were fixed by last year.

Good luck on getting it fixed.

1_T_Submariner:
These computers are JUNK! I purchased 2 of them early this year to take to Key Largo. I bought the Tusa version still made by Seiko just different name on the outside. I took them to a local quarry for a Dive along with my Chochran Captain and my buddies Chochran. We deceded to probably 30-35 feet the Tusa (Duo's) registered 15 feet. We checked our other computers they read 35 feet. On our SI I called the retailer I bought them from they said to "Reset" them. On the second and third dives they worked ok. I took them to Key Largo. We reset them incase the flight had anything to do with them reading wrong. My son had one and I had one. The first day they worked OK. The second day my son showed me his and the depth was boucnce all over. We got back on the boat and his went into Deco then locked after reading 65 feet on the boat and bouncing around. I returned them and got Aeris XR2s. I have about 15 dives on them and they are working great!!

Hope this helps.

Were these "new" or were they hanging around the shop for a while?

I wonder if we can find out what the serial numbers were on the set [range] that were experiencing the high rate of failures?

Anyone have any contacts at Dive Rite?

When the Diverite Duo and Apeks Quantum came out there were a lot of defective units.

Yeah, I see you did 3500 dives without my input or it seems like the imput of any sane person, but the only reason you are alive today is luck. What was the name of that cave diver regarded as an expert who died a few years ago on a solo dive?

Is all your gear redundent, or just two computers?

What happens if for any reason you do not make it back to the O2 tank under the boat?

I guess owning a boat is a license to do any thing you want to do. How many of those dives were spear fishing bounces to 150 feet for 5 minutes and 500 PSI used. I have run into a bunch of guys with amazing numbers of dives piled up that way. Geez, you can do 12 in an afternoon that way. They all talk like you.

I have a NiTek-Plus, which is essentially the same thing but in a slightly smaller "watch-like" package. I managed to kill the pressure sensor in mine after about ~50+ pool dives (I volunteer with a university scuba program), so I'm going to send it off to diverite shortly.
DiveRite is getting rid of a lot of their stock of NiTek He's and Plus' so I'm of the opinion that they're going to release a new computer soon--this bodes well for the possibility of them sending me a new NiTek Plus since they probably want to get rid of inventory. :)

i've heard that the first batches of Duos had significant problems, and that
failures were rather common.

my understanding is that the newer versions have fixed these problems.

i am not sure how you can tell if you have an old version or the new version.

for $200 more, you can get the He, which does helium (up to seven mixes)

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/computers/nitekduo.shtml

Leadweight, assuming you are addressing these comments to me...
leadweight:
Yeah, I see you did 3500 dives without my input or it seems like the imput of any sane person, but the only reason you are alive today is luck.
I'm not sure what you base your judgement of my sanity on, but I assure you, I am quite sane, and take diving quite seriously. I suppose I might have been lucky... or possibly I am a capable, cautious diver...
leadweight:
What was the name of that cave diver regarded as an expert who died a few years ago on a solo dive?
Sheck Exely. However, an attempt at a 900' world-record setting dive in a cave is hardly comparable to the dives I do! I remember having a few beers with Sheck at a conference in Toronto many years ago. He was a nice guy who had done some amazing dives. The diving world lost a pioneer when he died.
leadweight:
It's all redundant. As stated earlier, I always dive with twins, with an isolator. I have three sets of different sizes and I choose the lightest ones that will provide the supply I want on any given dive. Each has two valves (duh), two regs, two spgs. The isolator is just open, so the tanks can be separated in seconds. I have two separate power inflators feeding two bouyancy systems (drysuit and wings)... one from each reg. Two cutting tools, and when appropriate, two or three lights. And a liftbag and a reel. And either two computers and a watch, or as in this case, a computer and a watch since it was a pretty basic dive. Hell, I even use redundant fins... one on each foot!
leadweight:
What happens if for any reason you do not make it back to the O2 tank under the boat?
I'm not sure I understand the question. If I don't get back to my boat, then I would likely need to swim several, perhaps many, miles back to shore. One of my favorite wrecks is 37 miles out, so getting back to the boat tends to be a bit of a priority! Did I mention there is a tender in the boat? And two anchors out, if I'm not at a mooring? And two VHFs (+ a cell phone), two GPS systems. And that it's a Zodiac Hurricane RIB with 5 separate air chambers, a foam filled hull AND self-righting gear?. Only one engine mind you... but two paddles...

But getting back to the original question... well I still don't understand the question. If you're concern is that I would run out of air... well I kind of dive the old 1/3s rule. If your concern is how I would complete the deco without 02, well I do my deco largely based on air profiles. The 02 is a buffer. So, I would simply do my deco with the gas on my back, and hang a little longer. (Generally, I carry my 02/nitrox with me, but it wasn't necessary in this case since this was really more of a shore dive with an easy ascent...)
leadweight:
I guess owning a boat is a license to do any thing you want to do.
Um no... but it does give me trendous freedom in how I dive... and more importantly, I get to choose who I dive with. Having my own boat allows me to avoid having to dive with self-righteous, overly-opinionated arse-hats! I take you don't have a boat? Too bad....
leadweight:
How many of those dives were spear fishing bounces to 150 feet for 5 minutes and 500 PSI used.
Oh, that's easy. None. I've never been spear fishing. I did spend a couple of seasons doing construction work in Lake Ontario and Lake Erie, and a couple of seasons teaching/guiding in the Carribbean; I taught diving as a hobby for 25 years, although much of it was advanced open-water, since the basic stuff wasn't much fun. Virtually all of my diving for the past 25 years has been in the Great Lakes. It is almost all in excess of 100' with many dives in the 150' - 200' range, where the temp never gets above 41F at the bottom. The vast, vast majority of these were solo dives. And yes, I have had the occasional white-knuckle moment, although none stand out just now...
leadweight:
I have run into a bunch of guys with amazing numbers of dives piled up that way. Geez, you can do 12 in an afternoon that way.
That's interesting. I rarely do more than one dive in a day because I'm old and tired. And because most of my dives require deco, and I think it best not to do repetitive decompression dives. (The exception being while I am vactioning in the Carribbean, where I follow the usual resort profiles when I'm diving with my g/f)

I will mention that I have been bent twice. Once (badly) while welding a water intake at a steel plant (70' for about 3 1/2 hours) when the dive supervisor messed up, and a second time while salvaging a yacht in 110' of water while testing an early prototype dive computer for the The Defence and Civil Institute of Environmental Medicine (They test equipment for the Canadian military.)The computer worked fine, but I burned my arm warming up after the dive on a coffee pot, resulting in a mild skin bend...

leadweight:
They all talk like you.
You mean using their mouths? Leadweight, I'm afaid I don't understand your hostility. Why are you attacking me? I am quite comfortable with my diving resume and methods. Really, all I was trying to do was get a little info on my computer that died unexpectedly. I couldn't give a rat's-arse if you don't agree with my type of diving. But many do, including most of my diving friends. (You think I'm a whack-job? You should meet them...) Go do your little dives the way you like and I'll do mine the way I like. The world has a lot of water on it. We should each be able to enjoy our hobby in our own way, without being judged by the narrow-minded and ill-informed, don't you agree???

To the rest of you that provided valuable information, I thank you!

leadweight:
When the Diverite Duo and Apeks Quantum came out there were a lot of defective units.

Yeah, I see you did 3500 dives without my input or it seems like the imput of any sane person, but the only reason you are alive today is luck. What was the name of that cave diver regarded as an expert who died a few years ago on a solo dive?

I guess owning a boat is a license to do any thing you want to do. How many of those dives were spear fishing bounces to 150 feet for 5 minutes and 500 PSI used. I have run into a bunch of guys with amazing numbers of dives piled up that way. Geez, you can do 12 in an afternoon that way. They all talk like you.
Not that I agree with how Stoo is diving or what he's doing, it's still his right to do as he wishes, eh? :wink: I mean as long as he doesn't screw up, kills himself and ruins it for the rest of Ontario divers because the government decided to limit diving...:eyebrow:
FYI, Spearfishing is illigal in Ontario. :D

aquaoren:
I mean as long as he doesn't screw up, kills himself and ruins it for the rest of Ontario divers because the government decided to limit diving...:eyebrow:
LOL... You'll be happy to learn that my dive friends all signed a pact many years ago that if one of us croaks diving, the rest of us will retrieve the sorry bloated corpse and drop it in the middle of the highway, thereby giving the appearance of a traffic fatality. I appreciate that this plan has a few flaws, but so far, we haven't needed to put it into effect.... :D

Aquaoren, looking at your profile pic, you're all tricked out in the gear, and practising your shut-down... You've never been diving on your own? I'll pick you up sometime on the way through Cow-town... Moo-U is my alma-mater!

You guys should really spend a little time poking around the "Solo" forum. You might be surprised at what's going on in there....

I think that the early Duo's had a fair number of the problems that you experienced - very few examples of the same problem cropped up in the Tusa or Apex versions of the same computer. It seems that the issue has been resolved and I have easily over 100 dives on my Tusa. BTW, I also have a NitekHE and unless you need a third gas or trimix, stay with the Duo. The HE takes up a ton of space on your arm. Also, if you are over 40 and need reading glasses to see menus, forget the NitekPlus because you will never be able to read the tiny display.

YMMV,

Jackie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom