Dive-Rite Duo Failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo-

OK, you are not as crazy as I first thought. The "without your input" comment is what set me off.

I was not thinking about Sheck Exley. The incident I had in mind was a more or less standard Florida cave dive except that it was solo. The diver died about 100 feet away from a reserve tank.

Sorry, I must admit to overdoing it, but remain convinced that solo technical diving is a practice to avoid.

I don't own a boat and find that diving operators often go to the other extreme of the safety spectrum, often to the point where it becomes a headache. I have done a bit of technical diving myself, but not a lot. The hang time does not bother me, but the weight and bulk of the gear sure does.

-Ron

leadweight:
Stoo-

OK, you are not as crazy as I first thought. The "without your input" comment is what set me off.

I was not thinking about Sheck Exley. The incident I had in mind was a more or less standard Florida cave dive except that it was solo. The diver died about 100 feet away from a reserve tank.

Sorry, I must admit to overdoing it, but remain convinced that solo technical diving is a practice to avoid.

I don't own a boat and find that diving operators often go to the other extreme of the safety spectrum, often to the point where it becomes a headache. I have done a bit of technical diving myself, but not a lot. The hang time does not bother me, but the weight and bulk of the gear sure does.

-Ron

I believe you're referring to Steve Berman.

leadweight:
The "without your input" comment is what set me off.

I believe that comment was directed at Halthron, which is why I couldn't understand what you were going on about.

Listen, I have no problem with anyone disagreeing with the way I dive. Most of my friends dive the way I do. We accept that there might be some additional risk. On the other hand... and I am most certainly NOT aiming this comment at anyone on this thread.... there comes a point where ALMOST anyone I dive with is far more likely to have a problem than I am. In that case, a buddy actually increases my risk IHMO. Many, possibly most, of the fatalities we see up here are double fatalities which come about when one "ill-equipped" diver tries to help another and they both end up dead. I wrestled with the term "ill-equipped" here... I mean ill-equipped with skills, experience or even equipment. The reality is that on a very cold, deeper dive, a buddy likely isn't going to be a huge help anyway... that's why I equip myself with two sets of gear.

Again, I have no problem with you disagreeing. What I have a problem with is the judging. Once you and I have done a few hundred dives together, then you will be in a position to judge my abilities.

Incidently, I expect to be diving with a couple of new friends I met in this forum in the next few weeks. Both are relatively inexperienced, one having just completed his OW certification. When I am diving with them, I will become the definition of a "good" buddy. Different dive situations require different styles. (But I'll still be wearing all of my redundant gear, even though we won't be very deep, because I believe that's the best way to do it. 25 years ago I started diving like this. A few years ago, someone named it "DIR" diving I think!) In all my years of teaching, I tried to encourage students to dive as "independent" divers, completely self-sufficiently. Their buddy was there for companionship, sharing gas costs and splitting hotel rooms. And when all else fails, to render help. A buddy will "never" be able to get to me faster than I can stick my second reg in my mouth and isolate my tanks.

I agree that most dive operators tend to be "overly" safe. But they need to be because they need to tailor the charter to the lowest common denominator, as it should be. When I am on a dive boat on vacation, I will follow the "house rules". Generally the dive guides, after a couple of days, will quietly tell me to go do my thing, and be back in an hour. I used to do their job and I respect the stresses that they are under, having to insure the safety of a dozen or more divers, whom they have never met.

At this point, this discussion is really in the wrong forum so I won't say anything further.

Thanks again to all of those who offered input on the computer. It was very helpful.

bladephotog:
My first one, Tusa branded, crapped out on a dive. They sent me a new unit and I haven't had any problems since.

Leisurepro has them for $255. I was considering it after I lost an ebay auction for a Duo. But now, maybe not...

Stoo-

My first post did sound like I was judging, but I believe that I have backed away from that. Its not about judging. Its about ***** happens. For someone at your experience level it should not take too much imagination to think up scenarios where not having a buddy would make it your last dive just as easily as you cite how a weak buddy is worse than none.

By the way, I just ordered a Cressi Archimedes from Leisurepro for $255. Its another one of the Seiko based 2 gas computers, for only $255.

leadweight:
By the way, I just ordered a Cressi Archimedes from Leisurepro for $255. Its another one of the Seiko based 2 gas computers, for only $255.

That's the one I was thinking about, not the Tusa. Aren't they basically the same?

TheRedHead:
That's the one I was thinking about, not the Tusa. Aren't they basically the same?

Yes, but the case looks different. Thre may be minor diferences in capability. I believe the Cressi allows 1.6 PO2 on mix 1, but I am not sure of some of the others. Early Quantums only went to 1.4.

Stoo:
including most of my diving friends. (You think I'm a whack-job? You should meet them!

awww how sweet Stu, you MUST have been thinking of me when you made that comment:D
I am looking forward to diving with you, you have proved yourself to me to be an extremely safe, knowledgeable diver! I think i will continue to view myself as a newbie until i hit at least 3000 dives!:blinking:

leadweight:
Its about ***** happens...
Well we do agree on something. The trick is in minimizing the opportunities for do-do to happen. At my age (50), my biggest concern is something like a heart attack and clearly, a buddy who is able to drag my tail back to the boat would be hard to beat. Fortunately, I stay fit and I am healthy as a horse, so it's not a huge concern. When it does become a concern, I won't get a buddy. I'll stop diving, because it isn't fair to lump that responsibility onto someone else.

I think we've flogged this to death. I appreciate your comments. Happy diving! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom