Dive-Rite Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm another Dive Rite user - quite happy with mine too. I've got the parts kits, and it's about time for me to service them (16 months, 130 dives...) Though my primary 2nd stage is a Kirby Morgan, not the DR.

Aloha, Tim

double80s:
Like the Salvo regs, they are probably from the same source, however, each re-brander usually makes some sort of modification to distinguish their product from the next. I believe DiveRite changes out 2 parts from the original manufacturer (I don't know which) as does Salvo. Performance-wise, you probably can't tell the difference.

Thanks for the clarification. I know Sea Elite has had their Tek model on the market a lot longer than Dive Rite has been selling regulators under the Dive Rite brand. I'm not familiar with Salvo so I checked out your signature line link - very similar as you mention.

Well it's good to know I'm not the only one out there diving DR and enjoying them.

I was a poseidon man untill about a year ago when service and parts became too much of a hassle. Under the guidance of friends i switched to apeks, and i can honestly say that i have no complaints.
A few weeks before xmas i was leaving for a dive trip to greece and my dive shop owner gave me a some dive rite regs to try. After 16 dives over the course of dec/jan in 11 degrees water (celsius) i can honestly say that they are right up there with the rest of them. On one particular dive in in a lake at 3500', where water temp was 6 degrees i was somewhat afraid that they would freeze, but after a 35 min dive with a max depth of 105' they performed flawlessy.
I am now the proud owner of these regs. For their price and as mentioned before- the ease of servicing they are a pretty unbeatable deal.
The only thing i don't like, as mentioned early is the dive/predive switch which is kind of flimsy.
Billy

Tom Winters suggested I look into DR for their ease of being rebuilt. After a little research I found that DR regs were preferred amongst certain groups of tech divers. It did seem strange that if these regs were that reliable and used in tech diving, they were hardly ever mentioned or recommended on this site. I did a little more internet searching to see if I could find a diving forum that did hold them in high regard, but I never did find the elusive and haughty Dive-Rite group. I realize there are a whole slew of divers who don't use the internet, so my last guess is the only way people find out about the DR2500's is by word of mouth from tech divers? Say, at the mouth of an underwater cave, on a slate, in the dark illuminated only by a HID lamp - advice written by an old crusty diving barnacle just as their reg starts to fail? "Shoulda got yerself a Dive Rite reg, kid, too bad you gotta leave."

I did find that Dive-Rite seems to be a recognized name in England based on some press they got. Their own site, and distributors' sites, here in the states, don't seem to help when they don't list or picture their newest products. I can barely understand a supplier having a sub-standard site, but the distributors too? No one seems to be helping DR's cause here.

They perhaps don’t get recognition because they compare with regs that cost more. Some poorly organized reviews that claim to review “16 Regs priced over $400" by default leave out DR as competition. Deservedly so? I don’t know, I’m too new to be the judge of that… but if tech divers trust their lives to them… ?

Another thing about the ‘reviews’ – I think I found a discrepancy between how well DR regs are reviewed. After all, the better a reg gets reviewed in some press, the more people will be willing to buy ‘em, right? Well this is what I saw: For the RG2010 (with what seems to be the same dive/predive switch as the 2500), “The smallish dive/predive switch is clearly marked.” Fast-forward two years later to the RG2500, and it’s “Divers liked the flexible purge cover, but felt the markings on the dive/pre-dive switch were hard to see.” I've not held a 2010 in my hand, but based on the pictures it seems to be the very same switch set-up. take a look:
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/best_new_regs/4/
and
http://www.scubadiving.com/gear/regulators/2005's_best_new_breathers/5/

So one year it’s just fine, and the next it takes points off of their overall score. I’m not sure I'm on the boat with this “magazine divers trust,” but I digress.

I like my 2500. It never really seems to need adjusted for depth (I say this only having dove to 89' though). The first stage being DIN just makes sense (to me), and it being black is over the top style and coolness (the only real reason to buy gear, no?).

I've been leaving my octo DR reg switch on 'Pre-Dive,' and the DR 2500 on 'Dive' for my dives. I haven't yet found the need to move the switches past that first dive. (any cautions or tips you've got to tell me otherwise would be appreciated)

I'm a proud owner the Dive rite 2500 set , so far so good . Only complant is the came with hoses that were uselsess to me .

terrasmak:
Only complant is the came with hoses that were uselsess to me .

It does seem strange, having bought mostly DR products recently, that so much needs changed on their set-ups despite their focus of serving the tech divers (e.g. the inflator hose on their wings as well as all the hoses on ther regs).

Mambo Dave:
I did find that Dive-Rite seems to be a recognized name in England based on some press they got. Their own site, and distributors' sites, here in the states, don't seem to help when they don't list or picture their newest products. I can barely understand a supplier having a sub-standard site, but the distributors too? No one seems to be helping DR's cause here.

Check out: http://www.dive-rite.com/Products/productslist.aspx?SubCategoryID=65&CategoryID=18

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/regs/regulators.shtml

terrasmak:
I'm a proud owner the Dive rite 2500 set , so far so good . Only complant is the came with hoses that were uselsess to me .

Dive-rite express does sell the RG2500 with a longhose (and other lengths), as does my LDS, but I don't know if you can get them with the 7ft and 22" or 24" combo.

Back
Top Bottom