Dive Vacation for Female Traveling Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caroln:
Darn it! That's right before my 3 months after sinus surgery is up. Doc said no diving at all for 3 months. Hmmm I wonder how strict that number is. Time to give him a call.

FYI, I had a look at that trip after I posted. Guess as a singles (meaning un-married) it is a no go. However, ScubaJenny looks as though she is still planning on going. She has started a thread to this effect.

On a side note, it has been extremely beneficial to my diving to go and meet other SB'ers. Even if you can't make this small gathering, perhaps try to do another one. Also, FL divers are very active and have lots of "SB" events, CA does as well. Just some thoughts for you :)

My spouse is a non-diver, so I can share my most recent experience:

We did Cozumel in September, it's a good place for a solo-diver if you like the small "six-pack" type boats. These ops usually have only one group on them, maybe a group and a single. Either way, you can find a partner with someone in the group or the dive master. You can research the right dive ops right here on scubaboard.

As for other places I've been, San Andrés and Providencia offer similar small boat, partner with the DM type opportunities... Maui, Cayman, DR, Bahamas did not for me.

Hooking up with others from the board is a great idea!

Bonaire or Grand Cayman are both fairly easy to get to and really safe. Probably the two best dive locations in the Caribbean also.

On Bonaire, just about everybody at the diveresorts are divers so finding a buddy is no problem. And you can do boat dives and the resort's shore dives - most of them are just off named dive sites - without having to venture out on your own. I can just about guarantee that you'll be able to find a group to tag along with there, we were asked about 3or4 times. And Kralendijk is safer than my neighborhood at night.

I'm not sure they have any crime in Cayman either. Must be something to do with the 200 banks on the island...:D. There are a bunch of smaller dive ops on Cayman that would be good to dive with even solo. They put a DM in the water with you and generally the group stays together. Neptunes, WalltoWall, Red Baron are all good choices. Most do 8-10 divers per trip also. It's typically deeper diving there though, at least for the 1st dive 80-100' is not unusual due to the clarity of the water, there's interesting stuff to see at that depth. Red Sail is another option, the groups will be larger but dives are shallower since they deal more with resort and cruise dives.

Downside of most liveaboards is that you'll share a room with a same sex single if possible. Or get your own by paying a single supplement - on Nekton it's 50% more.

We had 3 single women on our trip, one dove with us a couple days. After the first day on our trip, people were pairing up all sorts of ways - we did dives with 2, 3, 4, 8, 12(that didn't work so well) people at different times. And - at least on Nekton - if you can't find someone to pair up with, the DM's are glad to go with you if asked in advance. There was a couple who were new divers, they dove with their own DM a couple of times, I don't think it cost them anything extra either - you might want to confirm this though. Normally - at least on our trip, the DM"s did not dive.

pennypue:
Consider something like Dee's trip to Roatan (shamelessly promoting link in my sig line). I've been once. And there were plenty of singles there. It's incredibly safe. I also know that for the trip scheduled for May/June that there are a large number of singles already going. You can easily do five dives a day if you'd like. Last time, some of the divers met up for early am dives and/or night dives without their usual dive buddies.

I also like the idea of a liveaboard. I've not done one, but I would definitely consider doing it solo.

Another option for you is to put together your own single dive trip. I know DandyDon has done it many many times. I've done it once with another single girl friend I met on a dive trip. Or consider joining a group that's already established like the trip MissD mentioned to Florida.

I like planning trips almost as much as I like taking them!!

I agree here - I think thus would be a most excellent choice. By the way, I will be leaving COCO View the day this group arives - O'h well.

I have had a few female friends travel to Thailand by themselves and have reported feeling safer than in the US.

DeputyDan:
I agree here - I think thus would be a most excellent choice. By the way, I will be leaving COCO View the day this group arives - O'h well.
Wave and yell like a maniac if you see me!!!:D

pennypue:
Wave and yell like a maniac if you see me!!!:D

If you see 2 yelling don't worry, it's just me with DD. :)

Back to the topic. I second SJ's suggestion on Bonaire. Lots of people come on the Bonaire board looking for dive buddies. There is a real good chance you can join another lone diver or be invited into a group. I have had several divers join us.
Try www.bonairetalk.com

herman:
If you see 2 yelling don't worry, it's just me with DD. :)

Back to the topic. I second SJ's suggestion on Bonaire. Lots of people come on the Bonaire board looking for dive buddies. There is a real good chance you can join another lone diver or be invited into a group. I have had several divers join us.
Try www.bonairetalk.com
Herman, I'll be looking for you!!
If I pass a boat on my way out to the resort, or see people leaving at the airport I'll yell, "HEY HERMAN!!! IT'S PUE"!!!!! It'll be great fun to see the looks on everyones faces since Pue rhymes with Sue. :crafty:

Back
Top Bottom