DiveMaster/LDS conflict

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You left out the MOST IMPORTANT CONSIDERATION: MOST OF US DO NOT BUY EQUIPMENT JUST TO HAVE SOMETHING TO RECYCLE IN 2 YEARS. If one wants to go with a certain configuration right of the bat WHO ARE YOU TO FORBID IT or DISCOURAGE HIM / HER IN ANY WAY??? Is it your money he's spending, are you going to buy back the equipment you so much "promoted" during classes???
My point is - a student who is there to learn something will get the required skills regardless of the configuration of his gear. Now different configurations in the same class WILL add to the effort required from the DMs and Instructor, but, if 2 DMs and an instructor can't keep an eye on at most 12 students (never heared of class bigger then that) then perhaps it's time for you guys to get some more training or give up.
I was required to rent or buy a jacket style for my certif dives and since I did dive even before I got my card i can tell you that i was not confortable with it (to say the least). They got their $xx for the rental, they lost a client though they had the back inflation style in the store.
This is the type of store that would not give you a "package deal" on a full set of equipment even though you are training with them and willing to shell out the money (in hard cash) for a FULL SET OF GEAR. I bought most of the stuff from somewhere else (some if it off the internet) and I have a full set of gear that I planed to buy from them; now, by the time I spend the money they asked for a that set + 2 HP steel tanks I will have at least 8 tanks (steel, not new but with recent hydro) and most probably a HID canister light as well (brand spanking new).
If this is the approach that some of you adopt when dealing with un newbies then I am out of the game - you play yourselves (or with yourselves, ???). I KNOW WHAT I NEED, I KNOW WHAT I WANT and I will get it regardless of your opinion because it's my money that is spent on it.
P.S. The shop I'm talking about is the type that says "we only organize Master Diver and DM classes alternatively once in 2 years, so, since you chose to take the AOW this year you can not "advance" in your training untill next year". I am exploring my options and I see that others a quite different - they just lost me completely.
P.P.S. By the number of dives I do a compressor (used) will pay off in 2-3 years so as soon as I put the money toghether, ...

your instuctor should not do this to you. as long as you are doing your job and have the right equipment. the students are the importent thing here not the advertising and shop equipment. my advice me friend is get rid of your instructor .. this is bad,, the roll of an instructor is to teach diving. and how to use your and improve techniques. NOT FORCE PEOPLE TO ADVERTISE EQUIPMENT. AKA PAUL

your instuctor should not do this to you. as long as you are doing your job and have the right equipment. the students are the importent thing here not the advertising and shop equipment. my advice me friend is get rid of your instructor .. this is bad,, the roll of an instructor is to teach diving. and how to use your equipment improve techniques in teaching other Students. NOT FORCE PEOPLE TO ADVERTISE EQUIPMENT. AKA PAUL

AKA Paul brought an interesting point to my mind. All marketing aspects aside, one has to ask the question whether a LDS acts in the students' best interest by enforcing certain equipment configurations with their students. Mind you, I am NOT talking about staff here. If I require all my students to wear say, jacket style BCs, think about what will happen the first time they go on a trip? They will see all kinds of stuff out there - and may even buddy up with someone whose config they have never seen before. I don't think a LDS with that policy can make a very good point in emphasizing safety. Would you seriously consider a driving school where they put you on a fenced-off traffic circuit with only small size sedans driving around, no trucks, no pick-ups, no RVs, no bicycles, no motorcycles?

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but, oh well...

It's the LDS owners business. Their shop, their rules. Either get with the program or go home. I'm not debating the right or wrong of their rules. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you want to run a dive shop go into business.

On a personal level as a student, I like seeing the different configurations.

:popcorn:

In an ideal world the LDS' would just drop all the old dinosaur industry crap and just do the right thing. Just teach the best they can, sell what they can with no pressure, and live by the motto that "the customer is always right". If you can't provide gear a customer really wants then tell them and recommend another source. Stop trying to force feed gear on newbies that they don't want or need and stop trying to make billboards out of DM's and Instructors. Nothing makes me more sick than seeing a newbie or "green" instructor with yellow snorkels,pink masks, split fins,danglies, lights etc. all over the place. Nothing says newbie more than the "Christmas Tree look". Dress 'em up and sink 'em. Next....................:popcorn:

I know I'm going to get flamed for this, but, oh well...

It's the LDS owners business. Their shop, their rules. Either get with the program or go home. I'm not debating the right or wrong of their rules. I'm not trying to be mean, but if you want to run a dive shop go into business.

On a personal level as a student, I like seeing the different configurations.

:popcorn:

As far as actually working for them maybe. But I have seen shops who force their DM candidates to use the gear the shop sells when working with students. This is Big Bull Crapola. If they want to do that then the course should be free. Same as when my company makes me take additional training. They pay the tab for it. I wear their uniform out of choice but they still pay half the cost. If an LDS is going to use STUDENTS as billboards especially with other students then pay for their gear or let them use rental free of charge. Otherwise if the stuff is current and safe screw em! It shows just how insecure they are with the stuff they carry. If the gear they have is so much better the students will see it and buy it, if not then maybe a new marketing approach or line is in order.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom