DiveMaster/LDS conflict

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would you seriously consider a driving school where they put you on a fenced-off traffic circuit with only small size sedans driving around, no trucks, no pick-ups, no RVs, no bicycles, no motorcycles?

Well, they actually do that. I remember my drivers training setup started with some weird video-tape simulators, and moved to a private parking lot with cones. Removing complicated variables during initial training really isn't new or uncommon. It's really just reducing task-loading.

Of course, I know your point is that eventually you have to deal with these variables. Sure, as these students dive more, they'll see all sorts of truck and moped-style BCs, but there's no reason why their first confined-water dives need to be with current, pinnacles, sharks, and an overhead environment (so to speak). It's just easier to teach a group the basics when you don't have to say "OK, to inflate your BCs, you hit this button, you hit this other one, yours has it routed to the right side, yours is actually this lever on the BC itself, and yours doesn't have an inflater." After all, once they know the basics, it's pretty easy to see what does what, whether you have a jacket or a BP/W.

As for the DM/shopowner debate, as others have noticed it really just seems an inevitable conflict when shops offer instruction as a gateway to equipment sales. It's really hard to find absolute fault with either position.

Hello once again guys!!!
I have looked at all your comments and moans an groans!! lol.
Let me point out one thing!
Diving is a hobbies for most of us we do it cause its fun that's what diving should be FUN!!
Unless you are going to make a profession of it.
Most of us want to see the other side of the planet. The strange underwater world of sea life.
That the media don't see.
Many want to go diving but cant. So those who can pass the experiences on to others who can’t dive.
makes the world of diving a topic to talk about.
My wife and I went to the Maldives; we took a trip to MALE (pronounced MARLEY).
WENT TO A DIVE SHOP AND BOUGHT ALL EQUIPMENT FOR DIVING.
Mostly mare’s equipment. (Good stuff)
I was lucky to have an instructor who was a passed diver with an oil company.
No special equipment but equipment that is needed for safe diving!!!!!!
Over the past few years I have seen many kinds of DIVING SETUPS!!
You only need special equipment for a special dive, depends on the dive and your experience.
My advice to all is before you go into diving get to read!!! Find out about how good the instructor is and ask for recommendations. Talk to instructors.
Newbie’s get excited by the idea that there going to dive, well I do and im a dive master.
But a newbie does not know what the best is for them and are completely at the mercy of instructors.
I CAN RECOMMEND A BRILL INSTRUCTOR (Alvaro Gonzalez) (web site) ALWAYS DIVING.
That's if you are going to Cancun Mexico LOL!!!!
WELL THERE IS MANY THINGS I CAN SAY ON THIS TOPIC. BUT IF YOU USE YOUR BRAIN YOU CAN GET GOOD INSTRUCTIONS WITH OUT UNNECESSARY EQUIPMENT THAT YOU DON'T NEED, SIMPLICITY AND SAFE DIVING IS THE THEME AND MAKE IT FUN...

AKA PAUL

So far i've managed to work for places that don't sell equipment at all so it's no issue.

Previous boss strongly objected to my wing and long hose so reached an agreement that for courses i'd wear a rental BCD and normal regs but for DSDs and guiding qualified divers i'd use my own kit. Teaching BSAC i have to use short hose regs as long hose primary donation is explicitly banned and against their safe diving practices.

As for a DM helping me what they wear depends on what theyre doing. If guiding qualified divers then wear your normal personal gear.

If assisting on any non entry level course, wear your own gear.

If its an open water course and you may have to demo something to a student, wear similar to the student to avoid confusing the student.

If a shop does sell gear and wants staff wearing that gear it should provide it free of charge. If it doesn't work somewhere else.

Back
Top Bottom