Diver Death in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:shakehead: Excerpting from my previous post...

Sorry, Don--I was aware of your post and its links to three articles, but I wasn't sure which of the three articles people were referring to when they said they had difficulty translating. I've skimmed them, and it looks like others have now clarified the unclear parts of the Google translations.

I think the different articles say different things, and at this point, we can't know whether she was snorkeling or diving. It does seem odd, though, to hire a guide to go snorkeling, doesn't it? But on the other hand, it's not terribly common to shore dive on Coz.

Yes, this link, Fatal luna de miel en Cozumel, se ahoga la novia | UN1, which has a somewhat gruesome picture, clearly says they were shore diving,

A pesar de la falta de experiencia de los dos jóvenes, aún así decidieron hacer un buceo de playa, llegando hasta la citada playa y luego de las indicaciones se hicieron a la profundidad, donde observaban la maravilla de los arrecifes y de sus especies marinas, pero en un descuido del guía desapareció la chica.

Despite the two youths lack of experience they decided to dive off of the beach, getting to the cited beach and then according to the evidence made their way to the depths, where they saw the marvels of the reefs and marine species, but the careless guide lost the young lady.

Sorry, it is a run on sentence in Spanish too.

[speculation]

I'm guessing arterial gas embolism (AGE). It's one of the few things that can kill in the short time it takes to go, "Where is she? she was just here" and do the one minute search.

So sad.

[/speculation]

To respond to a previous question, a couple articles say the liability of the guide is still in know at this time, but the husband is blaming the guide.

Yes, this link, Fatal luna de miel en Cozumel, se ahoga la novia | UN1, which has a somewhat gruesome picture, clearly says they were shore diving,

Despite the two youths lack of experience they decided to dive off of the beach, getting to the cited beach and then according to the evidence made their way to the depths, where they saw the marvels of the reefs and marine species, but the careless guide lost the young lady.
Well, if they were inexperienced and shore diving in Cozumel. one wonders why the guide agreed to take them in the first place. I thought shore diving in Cozumel was rather unusual.
But if they were diving (rather then snorkelling), the most likely explanation is that the young woman might have panicked when she lost sight of the other two and bolted to the surface in an uncontrolled rapid ascent.

But will the full fact ever be officially announced by Mexican officials and media?

Is AGE consistent with the convulsions that the article mentioned?

Myoclonic jerking can be seen when blood flow to the brain is abruptly cut off. This could be misconstrued by the layman as seizure activity.

Were they on a cruise or staying in Coz?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom