Diver Death in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi just joined to find any one who may have any info on the death of crystal Gonzalez who died in a diving activity on June 3 the family has no insight to what actually occurred as the boyfriend of Crystal has not been cooperative in the matter we are all devastated and have to wait on Mexican authorities paperwork please if any one has or knows of any first hand information pls post.

I am so sorry for your loss.

---------- Post added June 23rd, 2015 at 06:57 PM ----------

No firsthand information I'm afraid.

The best I could make out from translations of the news article was that the couple had hired a guide named Hector Aquilar. He lost sight of her while diving, searched and found her floating unconscious in the water. Emergency services were called and they did CPR but could not revive her. She was transferred by ambulance to the clinic and pronounced dead.

I don't know if this is true but one article said that the guide initially refused to give his name to the authorities; also that the boyfriend/husband was blaming the guide for the accident. (Or at least that is what the translation seemed to be saying.) Don't know the truth of any of it, though.

Last edited:
The woman who died is my cousin's step-daughter. We are all heartbroken about this.. I keep wondering how Cristal was able to dive without training. Sounds like the guy Hector who was the scuba guide just wanted the money and does not care about prior training before diving. I am trying to get more details of the story. At her funeral, it was stated that she just got engaged on that trip and they were not married. I am wondering as to why Hector did not want to give his name to authorities. Perhaps he is not licensed to give scuba tours? I am also trying to figure out about the fiancee'. Some people say that the scuba guide was blamed and some are saying the fiancee'. I know Cristal is responsible for herself, she signed a waiver about risk but my family isn't talking about it and I am trying to put the puzzle together. Anyone know anything else?

The woman who died is my cousin's step-daughter. We are all heartbroken about this.. I keep wondering how Cristal was able to dive without training. Sounds like the guy Hector who was the scuba guide just wanted the money and does not care about prior training before diving. I am trying to get more details of the story. At her funeral, it was stated that she just got engaged on that trip and they were not married. I am wondering as to why Hector did not want to give his name to authorities. Perhaps he is not licensed to give scuba tours? I am also trying to figure out about the fiancee'. Some people say that the scuba guide was blamed and some are saying the fiancee'. I know Cristal is responsible for herself, she signed a waiver about risk but my family isn't talking about it and I am trying to put the puzzle together. Anyone know anything else?
I am sorry for your family's loss while on the lovely island of Cozumel. We do discourage family from following these accident discussions for several reasons, in part because we seldom get all of the facts, and we discuss only to prevent possibilities based on our best speculations - while we avoid finding blame since we don't really know what happened.

In my personal recommendations, I generally suggest Scuba training at home before Scuba diving there, then hiring a private DM, or - for snorkeling there, practice in a pool first, always wearing a snorkel vest, and become comfortable with your gear, including using the vest. My own family tends to ignore much of my recommendations tho.

It would be very difficult for me to say it was the boyfriend's fault if neither of the couple were experienced. They didn't know what they didn't know.

I can understand why the boyfriend might not be too forthcomng inlight of some of the family wondering if he should be blamed, on top of his own loss.

Very sad state of affairs, all the way around.

I keep wondering how Cristal was able to dive without training.
All I know about the incident is from what's in this thread, and it doesn't offer very much information. It's possible that they were doing an introductory dive known as a "resort course" or Discover Scuba Diving. After some brief classwork and skills practice participants do a brief dive with a maximum depth of 40'. I'll note that most places don't have laws requiring people to be certified; it's just an industry standard. Again, I don't know about this particular incident, but people being taken diving because they have money instead of a certification isn't unheard of.

Some people say that the scuba guide was blamed and some are saying the fiancee'.
Based on what I've seen in this thread it's possible that the fiancé wasn't blamed (at least not by anyone who knows useful details), and it's just incorrect information from poor translation of the original articles in Spanish. It's also entirely possible that some people are blaming him, but that doesn't mean he was responsible. Based on the limited info available the only scenario I can imagine that would make the fiancé at all responsible would be if he encouraged her to go on a real (as opposed to resort course) dive knowing that it wasn't an introductory dive and certification should have been a prerequisite.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please be reminded of the intent and special rules of this forum are to identify facts to prevent a recurrence of the same accident: it is absolutely NOT to find blame. Further posts trying to "blame" or "clear someone" will be deleted as violations of this forum's special rules. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

I just read this thread for the first time, and I want to caution people about making any conclusions whatsoever. The news reports are contradictory and thus highly unreliable. At this point we don't even now if they were snorkeling or diving.

In response to those who in the earlier parts of the thread who seemed to think that 1) people do't shore dive in Cozumel or 2) snorkelers don't use guides, I have done a number of shore dives in Cozumel, and on one of them I encountered a group of snorkelers being led by a guide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom