Diver Death in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've done a few shore dives while on Cozumel. Other than aggressive boat operators passing close by and waving to us with just one finger we had some good dives that way. There are some really nice shore accessible coral formations off of the Playa Corona restaurant. You can rent tanks and weights there as well. I've seen some snorkel tours with guides show up there in busses a time or two.

The first time I was in Cozumel a few of us were there to snorkel and we went out on a boat with a guide. We did the same earlier in the week at Isla Mujeres. We had guides both times and only wore safety vests on Isla Mujeres.

This may be the Hector that was involved in the incident. It appears he is an independent scuba instructor and guide so they were probably diving - again, this is all conjecture.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2152146

Question:
Diving with Hector?

I spent a week in Cozumel last June, and went diving with a guy named Hector. He isn't affiliated with a dive shop, but owns the boat and equipment and seems to be well known by the locals (and is way cheaper than the dive shops). Unfortunately I didn't take down any contact info. Does anyone know how to reach Hector by e-mail? Thanks, Randy

Answer:
Im not sure but maybe is Hector Aguilar, in his facebook page you can see some photos

https://www.facebook.com/hector.aguilar.7965692?fref=ts

I am sorry for your family's loss while on the lovely island of Cozumel. We do discourage family from following these accident discussions for several reasons, in part because we seldom get all of the facts, and we discuss only to prevent possibilities based on our best speculations - while we avoid finding blame since we don't really know what happened.

In my personal recommendations, I generally suggest Scuba training at home before Scuba diving there, then hiring a private DM, or - for snorkeling there, practice in a pool first, always wearing a snorkel vest, and become comfortable with your gear, including using the vest. My own family tends to ignore much of my recommendations tho.
Thank you so much for your reply. I appreciate it. I have enjoyed reading these passages very much. I agree about the training part. We were all amazed that she was diving without experience. At least I don't think she had experience...

All I know about the incident is from what's in this thread, and it doesn't offer very much information. It's possible that they were doing an introductory dive known as a "resort course" or Discover Scuba Diving. After some brief classwork and skills practice participants do a brief dive with a maximum depth of 40'. I'll note that most places don't have laws requiring people to be certified; it's just an industry standard. Again, I don't know about this particular incident, but people being taken diving because they have money instead of a certification isn't unheard of.

Based on what I've seen in this thread it's possible that the fiancé wasn't blamed (at least not by anyone who knows useful details), and it's just incorrect information from poor translation of the original articles in Spanish. It's also entirely possible that some people are blaming him, but that doesn't mean he was responsible. Based on the limited info available the only scenario I can imagine that would make the fiancé at all responsible would be if he encouraged her to go on a real (as opposed to resort course) dive knowing that it wasn't an introductory dive and certification should have been a prerequisite.
Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate it.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Please be reminded of the intent and special rules of this forum are to identify facts to prevent a recurrence of the same accident: it is absolutely NOT to find blame. Further posts trying to "blame" or "clear someone" will be deleted as violations of this forum's special rules. Marg, SB Senior Moderator
Not blaming anyone. My family is grieving a loss and we are just trying to get answers. Keep in mind all of our answers have been in Spanish.

I just read this thread for the first time, and I want to caution people about making any conclusions whatsoever. The news reports are contradictory and thus highly unreliable. At this point we don't even now if they were snorkeling or diving.

In response to those who in the earlier parts of the thread who seemed to think that 1) people do't shore dive in Cozumel or 2) snorkelers don't use guides, I have done a number of shore dives in Cozumel, and on one of them I encountered a group of snorkelers being led by a guide.
At Cristal's funeral my family was saying that they were only in 10 feet of water. I googled hector and he looks like he is a scuba guide but I am not experienced enough to decipher.

All I know about the incident is from what's in this thread, and it doesn't offer very much information. It's possible that they were doing an introductory dive known as a "resort course" or Discover Scuba Diving. After some brief classwork and skills practice participants do a brief dive with a maximum depth of 40'. I'll note that most places don't have laws requiring people to be certified; it's just an industry standard. Again, I don't know about this particular incident, but people being taken diving because they have money instead of a certification isn't unheard of.

Based on what I've seen in this thread it's possible that the fiancé wasn't blamed (at least not by anyone who knows useful details), and it's just incorrect information from poor translation of the original articles in Spanish. It's also entirely possible that some people are blaming him, but that doesn't mean he was responsible. Based on the limited info available the only scenario I can imagine that would make the fiancé at all responsible would be if he encouraged her to go on a real (as opposed to resort course) dive knowing that it wasn't an introductory dive and certification should have been a prerequisite.
Yes. The family of Cristal did not invite him to the funeral. I felt really bad about that. The man was grieving his fiancee' and then C.s family was blaming him. I think in their minds how could he lose sight of her forgetting that they were in an ocean where anything can happen.

Thank you so much. I appreciate your time to reply.

My family told me that they heard "They were scuba diving in Cozumel and the fiancee' turned around to take pictures and when he turned around he could not find her. The guide and fiancee' went searching for her and then later on saw her floating." Sounds like if it was snorkeling it was as a result of an undertow, whereas if they were diving, could have been more as a result of (AGE) but I am not experience so not certain.

My family told me that they heard "They were scuba diving in Cozumel and the fiancee' turned around to take pictures and when he turned around he could not find her. The guide and fiancee' went searching for her and then later on saw her floating."

Thanks Dee for coming back on this thread and helping us fill in the blanks. It sounds like your family said that Cristal was scuba diving (not snorkeling). At least we know the circumstances, but we still don't know what happened leading to her being found on the surface. May she rest in peace.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom