Diver Lost off Pensacola

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was diving off Panama City today when this came over the radio around 3pm. Coast Guard reported a missing diver about 16miles southeast of the pensacola pass. Older gentleman, bald, black tank, black wetsuit.No links yet.

As of right now, I believe he is still considered missing. The CG and other private vessels searched for him all afternoon without any success. Right now he and his family need our prayers so please pray for him, his family, and his fellow divers.

Rich

Last edited:
This was posted from the Pensacola Fishing Forum under their diving section.

Apparently it was tough out there. With Gustav headed their way it is only going to get worse and I assume the CG will be pulled off to assist in Gustav matters. About 125 miles southwest of the Pensacola pass is NOAA buoy 42040 and it is currently reporting 10 1/2 foot seas and sustained winds of 25 kts.

Bad situation.

Posted by:
craasch210 .....pensacolafishingforum.com/fishingforum/Forum38-1.aspx

We were out diving today and heard a distress call from a boat called the "pioneer" that was fishing green's hole. They had a diver that had failed to resurface. They stated that the last time they saw the diver, he was on his way up the anchor rope. He did not show any signs of distress. They were diving in 107 ft of water. He was not seen again after that. I cant say for sure if they were diving air or nitrox, but I believe they said it was their 4th dive of the day (I dont know if their earlier dives were shallow water, did not get that information).

We tied up to the distressed vessel and rolled two divers to try and find their guy. The current was unbelievable at the surface (i had to be towed to the anchor line to get down). The friend that I was diving with attempted to descend and get below the current, but was quickly swept away and was recovered by another boat in the area approx 1/4 mile away from the dive site (just to give you an idea of how bad the current was).

The water was completely calm on the surface with mostly sunny skies. The visibility was approx 40 ft on the top and less than 15ft on the bottom when we dove. I believe that the conditions had changed some since we got there, because the other boat reported that the current was weaker on the bottom when they were diving.

I made it to 96 ft on the anchor rope (they had a 3/1 scope on the anchor rope) and the current was still just as strong. I dont ever remember a time when I was diving with current that strong on the bottom.

Sadly, we were unable to locate any sign of the diver. There were multiple boats and a helocopter in the area performing a grid search in the area of the the drift/current. Coast guard boats in the area as well assisting in the search.
I dont know all of the details, but I do know that this is a 40 year old causasian male with know known health problems. He had been out diving on that boat 3-4 times, but was a fairly new diver per the captain. The "pioneer" is a small pro-line type boat that looked to be approx 21-23 ft long.

Thanks to Dalton (DKdiver, Kalusa 4) and the vessel "Albatross" for coming out and helping with the search.

I will say a prayer tonight that this guy is floating out to see somewhere and will be picked up by a helo or boat sometime. To my knowledge, the search is still ongoing.

I hope this one has a happy ending.

as of right now there is unfortunately nothing new to report. The diver is still missing depite outstanding response by local divers (craasch210 and his team specifically,) fishermen, and the CG immediately following the incident.

I'm waiting, watching and hoping, as I am sure so many other divers are.

Tony

As of now the search has been terminated according to coast guard mobile. We were one of the boats looking for him on Saturday. We tried to resume on Sunday before heading up the ICW back to Panama city but it got real sporty. I am praying for the family now. CJ

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom