Divers vs. Spearfishing sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, your enhanced photo only proves the poor buoyancy/position and the fact that kicking the structures is a sure bet. There is plenty of evidence, in the big photo, of life growing on the rock structures. There is no way that diver is thinking "that one rock doesn't look like it has a soft coral growing on it so I can kick it all I want to".
Really Allison ? unfortunately speculation based on conjecture is pretty lame not to mention, in point of fact mistaken, because of having no clue as to what actually transpired, from of course not actually being there. But why let simple facts or lack of actual knowledge get in the way of wild declaration.

The reality is the only thing the photos "Prove" is that the diver is (A) yes vertical and not horizontal. (B) in fact not touching the bottom (with the possible exception of the the outside front tip of his right fin) In fact his entire right fin is about a foot and a half off the bottom between the grouper and the rock, to right of his foot (C) the bottom is not a reef and (D) the diver is corkscrewed around looking off his right shoulder. That's it period
Everything else pure conjecture.

The "diver' is in fact one of the two running the dive and he is turned around checking out the guy who just dropped the sealed bait bucket on "THE SAND"

AND here is the real kicker, in the next second the diver who in fact had great buoyancy looked down (without touching the bottom) blipped his inflator hose, rose up a couple ft , blipped his inflator exhausting some air, and swam off in the "sacrosanct obligatory correct horizontal position" So please lets stick to the OP's subject shall we?

"I would like some other observations/opinions. I am of the mind that we should not share recreational dive sites with hunting sites. I do not speak of this with ignorance; I am an animal behaviorist and have worked with sharks and other predators in many captive and wild environments."

I am always interested in opinions of people with experience and expertise but I think the way the original post is written compromises any real science.

The premise is that spearfishers are responsible for a perceived change in animal behavior. This is an interesting question but the OP might re-think his hypothesis from the angle of the scientific method.

In the original post, we're dealing with a perceived change in behavior.

Step One: Document that the change is real

Step Two: Develope multiple hypotheses (hypothi?) regarding the cause of the change.

Step Three: Experiment to eliminate some hypotheses as wrong

Step Four: Form a theory based on the data from experiments

While the effect of spearfishing on shark behavior is a good question, the OP proceeds from the conclusion that spearfisherman are affecting shark behavior without ruling out all the other things that might be the cause (just the presence of divers in general could be a cause assuming the change is real.)

I think that unless we proceed from basic science, we're just going to silt up the water.

"Step one: Obtain appropriate approval for one's planned approach to conducting responsible animal research. Speaks to the very heart of ethics..."

Yes! Studies involving animals in their natural environment must proceed from an approach of 'Do No Harm.' Many people say that these creatures are traumatized when caught, measured and tagged by scientists. But I think that shortly after being returned to the wild, spearfishermen return to their normal behaviors with no permanent damage. Generally, tracking tags are attached to the spearfishermen using a metal that corrodes and eventually falls off leaving only the smallest scar on their backs.

I'm no animal behaviorist but I think if divers shoot at fish the fish will eventually change their behavior when divers are around. I remember years ago before harvesting deer using tree stands became the way to "hunt" deer, deer seldom looked up for danger, they do these days and will run from any movement in the trees. Here in NE we dive, spearfish all in the same place(s). We don't see sharks around here very often and I know of only a handful of people that have encountered a shark while spearfishing.

If your going to attempt issuing a sarcastic quip, perhaps some accuracy would be in order. (for instance the kind necessary to not be "firing willy nilly") look closer the diver is in fact vertical close to the bottom but NOT actually standing on the bottom and in fact it is a land formed shelf and not actually a reef, most of what you see is rocks and sand. We can only hope your spearfishing skills are more accurate and factual than your observation skills
fin_zps4fb8737b.jpg

---------- Post added March 12th, 2013 at 09:14 AM ----------

I'm going to insist that if his buoyancy and trim is that poor, that his is encountering the bottom over and over again. And just because it's rocks and sand doesn't mean it's not impacting micro organisms.

OK, everyone talking about the buoyancy, please create a new thread.

Re: creating protected areas at popular dive sites- I'm really not in favor of this unless there was proven need for protection for A species of fish and in that case I'd propose just taking that one species off the list of allowed prey. One of the reasons I think this way, is that there have been multiple pushes for this, but it leaves spearfishermen with no true access to water.

Re: spearfishers changing fish behavior- If there is enough pressure, it might cause some gamefish to become more skittish. Not unheard of and I don't think anyone will dispute this. But it doesn't seem to be too prevalent. There are multiple sites here in N. CA where people routinely spearfish and can still easily find freeswimming fish that will just hang around you. On the other side- large predators (sharks, large groupers?) might begin to associate divers with food, but mostly from the struggles of the shot fish. IIRC many of them are opportunists and so have learned to at least check out divers to see if there is any food that they can scare out of them. Harbor seals and sea lions also have been known to try to steal fish.

Harbor seals and sea lions also have been known to try to steal fish.

I know a harbor seal that will herd fish to a diver with a pole spear and grab the catch off the spear before you know what happened. When I figured out what was going on I put a stop to it (and no, it did not take me that long to figure he was turning me into a Fish on a Stick stand). He was very dissapointed that I quit his training program.

As for making a protected dive site for a certain type of diving, there is enough of that elitist crap topside don't bring it down here. If you really don't want speros around, just go to a marine sanctuary or any other area closed to fisning.

Bob
------------------------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

Back
Top Bottom