diving in australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pammyk

Reaction score
I am trying to trade my timeshare in for a place in Australia and it's getting really frustrating for me to try to find a place when I don't even know where the best diving is in Australia. I've heard that Queensland is a good place to start but I don't know if my information is correct and there are 2 areas in Queensland. Where would I start and could anyone please be specific as to the names of the places they stayed at and was there a dive shop at the hotel? My husband and I just got back from Bonaire and had a wonderful time! The diving there is spectacular! Thanks so much in advance.

Pam

pammyk:
I am trying to trade my timeshare in for a place in Australia and it's getting really frustrating for me to try to find a place when I don't even know where the best diving is in Australia. I've heard that Queensland is a good place to start but I don't know if my information is correct and there are 2 areas in Queensland. Where would I start and could anyone please be specific as to the names of the places they stayed at and was there a dive shop at the hotel? My husband and I just got back from Bonaire and had a wonderful time! The diving there is spectacular! Thanks so much in advance.

Pam

Hi Pam,
Iv'e been to Bonaire a couple of times and agree that the diving is very good. I've also been to Australia. We dove out of Port Douglas 2 yrs. ago and would say that the diving we did far surpasses Bonaire. The amount of sea life, the coral, the fish. You must go from Lizard Island north to view some of the best diving. We based out of Cairns for sightseeing and cultural experiences. Your best bet would be to get a trade in Cairns or north of Cairns along the coast. Your second thing to do would be to book a liveaboard, if you've never done that then you are starting in the right place. You can book 3,4 5,7 nights or more. If you're not sure, just pick a 3 night cruise out to the outer reefs, Ribbons, Lizard Island - Cod Hole. You are sure to come back with some great diving experiences. We had a blast.

Sorry, but I'm kind of geographically impaired. Where exactly is Cairns in relation to the Great Barrier Reef?

Asking about diving in Australia is almost like asking about diving in the USA. There is so much coastline and so many possibilities.

When I visited Cairns a few years ago, I thought about how nice it would be to buy a little cottage down there and spend half my year (bet you can't guess when) in the southern hemisphere. Unfortunately due to strong devaluation of the dollar since then, the cottages there are no longer the great bargains they were when I visited. Sigh.

Dr. Bill

pammyk:
Sorry, but I'm kind of geographically impaired. Where exactly is Cairns in relation to the Great Barrier Reef?

Cairns is located on the north east shore of Queensland in Australia. The Great Barrier reef is a few miles off shore from Cairns. The Great Barrier reef reaches from the bottom of Australia to the top on the East side of Australia. Some popular towns on the east side are Canberra, Sydney, Brisbane, Townsville, Cairns, Port Douglas. This list is from south to north.

http://www.auinfo.com/Queensland_map.htm

There's basically great diving all along the coast of Aus - my personaly preference is the wreck diving around Melbourne, but it depends on what you like.

The GBR is a nice place to dive but there would be other options that are just as good, but just haven't spent as much on marketing as Queensland has....

Or another option (ok, I am biased) would be New Zealand or one of the pacific islands..... 'cause then you don't have to put up with the Australians! :wink:

AndyNZ:
You are joking, right? Have you ever been to Canberra!?

Maybe I should have said populus?
If you look at a map, these are the towns that are listed as larger than the surrounding towns, thereby, they would be more popular.
No I've never been to the capital - Canberra.

caymaniac:
No I've never been to the capital - Canberra.

It hasn't got much to recommend a visit! A city (and state!) created purely to be a capital because no one was willing to let any existing city be capital because it would change the power games between the various states....

Personally (and it's opinion only) I find Canberra clinical and depressing - very much like being in a hospital when you're not ill, you always find yourself wondering exactly why you're there!

Back
Top Bottom