Diving in cold water - does your head freeze?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually use a Waterproof 5mm, but I also have a 7mm Bare hood w/ a zipper. Never felt particularly cold in either one but the Waterproof hood + a 2nd 3mm hood is downright toasty (the zippered hood isn't suitable as an "underhood").
DO TRY using a 2nd 3mm over your normal winter hood. Someone started recommmending it a few years ago and it has caught on in these parts because it's a cheap solution that makes a big difference.
If you & friends start using extra 3mm hoods it's esp. great beacause in a pinch someone that forgot their hood can be quite comfortable with 2 3mm hoods (Signature: been there, done that ;-)

Seriously warm hood: http://www.waterproof.eu/en/products/accessories/hoods/h1-5-10mm/

Mostly I feel the cold on my face. Try taking your mask off sometime at 1-2C. You want to do it the first couple times on purpose so if it ever happens by accident you will be significantly less shocked. Practise run or no, 2C water all across your face is good reason for a little unhappiness.

I dive wet at times all winter. In cold water (45F down to maybe 33), My hands are where I feel the cold. 3 fingered mitts help a LOT. Regarding head-- Yes, cold of course. I find though that the exposed part isn't as bad as I think it should be. Perhaps it's because it is a very thin strip between the mask and the hood and the warmer covered head parts keeps the exposed part warmer than it normally would be? Amazingly my feet don't freeze up, while on land this is my coldest body part. But hands don't get cold on land and do in water.

I dive a Viking with the latex surveyor hood---a thin rubber hood with air and a cloth beanie underneath. The face opening is small enough my lips are about the only skin exposed. Even when water gets into the hood my head is warm enough in Monterey waters.

I rarely notice my head getting cold, but I feel my coretemp lowered.

Hm, after those last couple of dives I noticed I was thinking a bit more sluggishly, and my fine coordination wasn't up to standards. I was also more than normally tired in the afternoon - making rinsing the gear quite a bit of a chore. Even if I didn't feel cold, do you think I might have had a slighly lowered body temp?

Normally, my head does not get cold however fingers and toes are a different stories.

Hm, after those last couple of dives I noticed I was thinking a bit more sluggishly, and my fine coordination wasn't up to standards. I was also more than normally tired in the afternoon - making rinsing the gear quite a bit of a chore. Even if I didn't feel cold, do you think I might have had a slighly lowered body temp?

I've wondered that as well. You might be right.

...I noticed I was thinking a bit more sluggishly, and my fine coordination wasn't up to standards. I was also more than normally tired in the afternoon - making rinsing the gear quite a bit of a chore. Even if I didn't feel cold, do you think I might have had a slighly lowered body temp

I've felt exactly that when I was still diving wet. You can get this full-body chill that can last for the better part of day.

Worst of all was the one time I realized my thoughts were getting a little sludge-like underwater! I was trying to be considerate of my drysuited buddy and brave the deepening chill I was feeling. It just wasn't that cold and we'd only been down 20 min, it was just ridiculous that I could be anywhere near as cold as I felt. Correction: as *C*O*L*D* as I felt. Luckily I realized that cold get a whole lot worse all of a sudden and maybe underwater wasn't a real smart place to be. I pulled the plug on that dive and bought a drysuit. Better a wuss than a statistic.

My kid's been diving 3 years and has never worn a wetsuit in her life. At least I got a little bit smart when I got old.

If the hood fits well... you don't really notice it.

Can anyone comment on how to get a good fit? I want to order one but the only size charts provided reference only height and weight. As an anthropologist, I can tell you that those two metrics have nothing whatever to do with head circumference. Any suggestions?

Can anyone comment on how to get a good fit? I want to order one but the only size charts provided reference only height and weight. As an anthropologist, I can tell you that those two metrics have nothing whatever to do with head circumference. Any suggestions?

I don't know about off the rack hoods, but you WILL be warm and your hood WILL fit if you get an Otter Bay hood. Cricket custom makes each one.

Back
Top Bottom