Diving in Jupiter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This little lemon shark gave me a hard time. Shortly after I took this photo, it circled me, I ascended about 10 ft. and it darted up after me. I bumped it on the head with my camera and it backed down.
mid_43-C06677434C8F4C02B4A497EA9FF91B8A.jpg

But I'm used to being in the water with much bigger lemon sharks. They just veer away from you if you get in their path. They could easily kick my butt but don't seem to want to. Love is in the air and the attraction is other lemons.

Here is a big one that just veered away as I stood my ground snapping photos.
mid_43-148D5D3A8E6A4AB6BE8C4D8ACF61E3D0.jpg

If you dive Jupiter and the conditions are clear, you must dive the Tunnels. We have there what I call "special needs" sharks. I don't know what they are doing, but those little reefies just sit under the ledge and don't budge no matter how close you get to them. Tunnels is probably my favorite dive in Jupiter. It's ugly, but you never know what you are going to see.
mid_43-F1A7AAFF64924CAD92B2752ED484E8D7.jpg

Here is a Youtube video of a sleeping sandbar shark on the deep 120 ft. ledge. I shot this about a year ago.
YouTube - sleeping sandbar shark in Jupiter

This is a mola mola video from my very last Jupiter dive one month ago. It's my first Mola in about 1500 dives. I giggled for hours after this one.
YouTube - MVI 1576

Alas, I am in week 3 of my 3 months of being dry. I had a PFO closed three weeks ago and cannot dive until October 16-ISH. :crafty: It's KILLING me not diving. I was getting too much DCS and felt it was time to get it checked out, then repaired. I haven't been dry this long since back to back Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne a few years ago. Those little bitches. Contact me when you come to Jupiter. I know these reefs better than the back of my hand.

To answer your question about diving down the Florida coast. Hmmn, I don't know. Some people come and dive Jupiter and don't care for it at all. They really like the brighter colors found in the Keys. I think Boynton Beach is really nice for that too. I rarely leave Jupiter because it's my FAVORITE place to dive. You never know what you are going to see and there is a lot of potential for something big, especially certain times of the year. I prefer wide angle because I don't have a lot of patience with macro in a current. There is usually so much going on in Jupiter with the fishlife that I don't want to have my head buried in the reef looking for little stuff. But you could be unlucky and arrive for some really weird conditions. We sometimes (rarely) get a weird eddy from the Gulf Stream causing a south current and less than 20 feet of visibility. Sometimes thermoclines arrive in the summer dropping the bottom temp to the mid 60s. Generally, the best diving is in the fall and early winter as long as the winds aren't too strong. Visibility averages at least 70 ft. and the currents aren't as strong as in the summer.

Last edited:
That Mola Mola is the crazy fish I have ever seen. Thanks for all the great advice. I think I will give Jupiter a try. What kind of camera and setting are u using. The pics are great.

This little lemon shark gave me a hard time. Shortly after I took this photo, it circled me, I ascended about 10 ft. and it darted up after me. I bumped it on the head with my camera and it backed down.
mid_43-C06677434C8F4C02B4A497EA9FF91B8A.jpg

But I'm used to being in the water with much bigger lemon sharks. They just veer away from you if you get in their path. They could easily kick my butt but don't seem to want to. Love is in the air and the attraction is other lemons.

Here is a big one that just veered away as I stood my ground snapping photos.
mid_43-148D5D3A8E6A4AB6BE8C4D8ACF61E3D0.jpg

If you dive Jupiter and the conditions are clear, you must dive the Tunnels. We have there what I call "special needs" sharks. I don't know what they are doing, but those little reefies just sit under the ledge and don't budge no matter how close you get to them. Tunnels is probably my favorite dive in Jupiter. It's ugly, but you never know what you are going to see.
mid_43-F1A7AAFF64924CAD92B2752ED484E8D7.jpg

Here is a Youtube video of a sleeping sandbar shark on the deep 120 ft. ledge. I shot this about a year ago.
YouTube - sleeping sandbar shark in Jupiter

This is a mola mola video from my very last Jupiter dive one month ago. It's my first Mola in about 1500 dives. I giggled for hours after this one.
YouTube - MVI 1576

Alas, I am in week 3 of my 3 months of being dry. I had a PFO closed three weeks ago and cannot dive until October 16-ISH. :crafty: It's KILLING me not diving. I was getting too much DCS and felt it was time to get it checked out, then repaired. I haven't been dry this long since back to back Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne a few years ago. Those little bitches. Contact me when you come to Jupiter. I know these reefs better than the back of my hand.

To answer your question about diving down the Florida coast. Hmmn, I don't know. Some people come and dive Jupiter and don't care for it at all. They really like the brighter colors found in the Keys. I think Boynton Beach is really nice for that too. I rarely leave Jupiter because it's my FAVORITE place to dive. You never know what you are going to see and there is a lot of potential for something big, especially certain times of the year. I prefer wide angle because I don't have a lot of patience with macro in a current. There is usually so much going on in Jupiter with the fishlife that I don't want to have my head buried in the reef looking for little stuff. But you could be unlucky and arrive for some really weird conditions. We sometimes (rarely) get a weird eddy from the Gulf Stream causing a south current and less than 20 feet of visibility. Sometimes thermoclines arrive in the summer dropping the bottom temp to the mid 60s. Generally, the best diving is in the fall and early winter as long as the winds aren't too strong. Visibility averages at least 70 ft. and the currents aren't as strong as in the summer.

Great pix!!

All great posts.

Jupiter is my favorite place to dive in FL and one of the best places in this hemisphere to see big marine life - I dive it 2 - 8 times a month and have for the past 4 years - also many times in the '80's.

If you are comfortable at 60 - 90 fsw, w/ current, and have a computer and NITROX certification, you should experience Jupiter. I don't recommend Jupiter for the very new or the rusty, however.
Make sure your boyancy skills are there b/c any time the bottom is stirred up, it can follow you down the ledge along with the current. This is especially true at my favorite FL dive, "Tunnels"

Diving Jupiter you experience that which is unique in FL and the carribean - lemon shark and goliath grouper aggregation, numerous turtles and sharks on most dives......its a fantastic place to dive.

2 outstanding options - Jupiter Dive Center, and Emerald Dive Charters - Emerald tends to cater to the spearfishermen, but is a great OP, and highly recommended.

Jupiter Dive Center is one of the best operators I have ever dove with and sets the standard for other LDS'

(And no, I did not name myself for the area; I live in Miami and have not been 31 for 23 years - its our boat!)

Jupiter 8/09/09:
Today there were at least 4 reef sharks, 7 porpoises, schools of at least 30 spadefish(?), about the same amount of angelfish, and a STRONG CURRENT. I am a very new diver and I didn't have a problem with the current as I did not have to kick *until I saw my first shark ever.. followed by 3 more@!* My buddy stuck the tickle stick in a hole and it got about a 25* bend in it because the current pushed him and he couldn't get the stick out fast enough.
But.. I would recommend diving Jupiter. It's fun and I cannot wait to go back this week. :D

The only thing I have to add after seeing the excellent info provided by everyone else, is that you asked about in your first posting on this thread about getting back to the boat.
I assume you are talking anchor dives.
Let me be clear, in the 60'+ range that everyone dives up there, drift dives are the only way to go.
All of the charters that I am aware of up in this area do drift dives only.
If you hear anything about up there like "We do not do drift dives, we anchor", RUN AWAY!
The currents are blast up here at times.
Drifting is about the only way to go.
Just try to hook up with some regulars up on the boats, and do whatever they do. By the end of your second dive, you will be fully acclimated to coasting with the current. All you need is a few pieces of safety/visibility gear to be pretty safe up here.
The Dive boat captains know the scoop, and protect their divers like a grizzly bear sow protecting their cubs.
Good luck.
I hope this was some help.

Thanks to everyone who has responded, Jupiter is on the list of must dives. Please keep the info comming all is very much appreciated.

All great posts.

Jupiter is my favorite place to dive in FL and one of the best places in this hemisphere to see big marine life - I dive it 2 - 8 times a month and have for the past 4 years - also many times in the '80's.

If you are comfortable at 60 - 90 fsw, w/ current, and have a computer and NITROX certification, you should experience Jupiter. I don't recommend Jupiter for the very new or the rusty, however.
Make sure your boyancy skills are there b/c any time the bottom is stirred up, it can follow you down the ledge along with the current. This is especially true at my favorite FL dive, "Tunnels"

Diving Jupiter you experience that which is unique in FL and the carribean - lemon shark and goliath grouper aggregation, numerous turtles and sharks on most dives......its a fantastic place to dive.

2 outstanding options - Jupiter Dive Center, and Emerald Dive Charters - Emerald tends to cater to the spearfishermen, but is a great OP, and highly recommended.

Jupiter Dive Center is one of the best operators I have ever dove with and sets the standard for other LDS'

(And no, I did not name myself for the area; I live in Miami and have not been 31 for 23 years - its our boat!)

Jupiter 31 is a mighty fine boat!

Jupiter is aweful. There are no fish. No Lobster. The DM's are fat, ugly and stupid. You never see sharks. The only sharks in the water sneak up behind you and eat you. Eight out of ten Divers in Jupiter get lost in the current and left at sea. There is septic Discharge in the water, which either makes you sterile or pregant whichever scares you most.

And lastly SATAN swims around on the Jupiter Ledges and drags peoples souls to Hell...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom