Diving in Whitewater Rivers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mxracer19:
to dive the New River is absolutly insane. I too have been rafting on that and our guide told us of one specific spot where on the right hand side of the river is a rock cliff 12 feet tall. While you cant see it, underneath is a hole the size of a school bus, and the previous year 2 separate rafts went under water and into that hole and did not emerge until the water level dropped below the opening - 4 months later.

-Matt

If you are talking about Barry's Hole, I've been on a raft that took the plunge the wrong way through that thing. At the time, we all came out of it and thought it was a great ride. It was only when our guide had to pull over and take a break we realized how scared we should have been. Not a one of us stayed in, or even near, the raft when it flipped, and let me tell you that hole seems a whole lot bigger when you are falling into it...

I'll stick to diving my Colorado lakes and Mexican rivieras, thank you very much.

Wijbrandus:
Nice video. Looks like you picked a fairly tame section.

Absolutely! I’m not stupid! I’d never dive a true whitewater section. Even slight currents are very difficult to manage with scuba gear. You can drift dive through the rapids, but you gotta know the locations of the sieves since the visibility is only 10 feet. The only other option (preferred) is to get real heavy (40-50 pounds) and crawl on the bottom. When I get blown off the bottom, I hit the “up” button and head for the surface.

Damselfish:
If you were solo who was taking the video? I assume that's you in the video.

Solo it was. I was very familiar with this part of the river, been swimming and snorkeling there for years.

mxracer19:
to dive the New River is absolutly insane. I too have been rafting on that and our guide told us of one specific spot where on the right hand side of the river is a rock cliff 12 feet tall. While you cant see it, underneath is a hole the size of a school bus, and the previous year 2 separate rafts went under water and into that hole and did not emerge until the water level dropped below the opening - 4 months later.

Gotta pick your poison well. Know the river. Know the sieves.

Well, as a former guide on the New, all I have to say is I hope that I don't have to be the one that hands you the Darwin Award.

Doc Harry:
I put together an MPEG of my river dive (8.4 MB):

http://hmarin.mystarband.net/default.htm

That's a great video - very professional work as far as I'm concerned. Diving in a river like that sounds interesting.

Most importantly - where can I get a helmet with flames painted on the side for diving?!?! Ha ha ha - that would really show my friends I know how to party.

--Matt

Mrs.Prages:
Well, as a former guide on the New, all I have to say is I hope that I don't have to be the one that hands you the Darwin Award.

If you were awarding the Darwin Award, it would be a posthumous award.

I know it's Posthumous. That's why I hope I am not the one that has to give it to him. I've seen what happens to bodies that get stuck in those holes for days at a time. Not too pretty, and kind of stinky too!

So I see, no one has been here in a few months, but I'd like to share my recent river diving experience if anyone still looks. I live in Western Montana, and most lake dives are poor viz, and not much stuff except some really big beautiful trout. Last weekend, however, I participated in a river-cleanup on the Blackfoot river, which includes much whitewater, and many 10-20 foot holes. We had about 60 people volunteer to walk the shore,a couple dozen divers, and support boats (rafts) and oarsmen both private and public (Thanks, Fish, Wildlife and Parks!) Every boat/diver team was assigned a stretch of river to work and we would pull up to a good-looking hole and bail over the side. I found only junk and lots of cans, but what a hoot!
Having a boat at the ready, taking us through the rapids, then pulling up in the eddy below, what a way to travel. I got seriously whisked away once, and the water hit my fins so hard, it tumbled me over. I got back to the bottom and eventually found a rock big enough to hold onto that wouldn't just come with me. The great part is, the graicous and grateful river rangers came down and picked me up. No long, hand over hand crawl for this dude!
My buddy and I went back yesterday to dive a couple of holes we hadn't had air for before, and had to pack the whole kit and kaboodle down the cliffs, then, sadly, up the cliff. Way fewer holes in a day... I recommend finding someone who wants to practice boatwork and hitch a ride. Tim.

thuffman:
So I see, no one has been here in a few months, but I'd like to share my recent river diving experience if anyone still looks. I live in Western Montana, and most lake dives are poor viz, and not much stuff except some really big beautiful trout. Last weekend, however, I participated in a river-cleanup on the Blackfoot river, which includes much whitewater, and many 10-20 foot holes. We had about 60 people volunteer to walk the shore,a couple dozen divers, and support boats (rafts) and oarsmen both private and public (Thanks, Fish, Wildlife and Parks!) Every boat/diver team was assigned a stretch of river to work and we would pull up to a good-looking hole and bail over the side. I found only junk and lots of cans, but what a hoot!
Having a boat at the ready, taking us through the rapids, then pulling up in the eddy below, what a way to travel. I got seriously whisked away once, and the water hit my fins so hard, it tumbled me over. I got back to the bottom and eventually found a rock big enough to hold onto that wouldn't just come with me. The great part is, the graicous and grateful river rangers came down and picked me up. No long, hand over hand crawl for this dude!
My buddy and I went back yesterday to dive a couple of holes we hadn't had air for before, and had to pack the whole kit and kaboodle down the cliffs, then, sadly, up the cliff. Way fewer holes in a day... I recommend finding someone who wants to practice boatwork and hitch a ride. Tim.

You might want to use what We do in Commercial diving and that is using a Fiberglass Helmet when diving. You can get a light one used for Rock Climbing to prevent Head injuries. Ours are made for diving by Kirby-Morgan for the diving full-face masks. It is really a help when getting banged around by large or super large rocks. I have found that the diver gets most of the abuse, rock escapes without harm..Bill

dilligaf368:
You might want to use what We do in Commercial diving and that is using a Fiberglass Helmet when diving. You can get a light one used for Rock Climbing to prevent Head injuries. Ours are made for diving by Kirby-Morgan for the diving full-face masks. It is really a help when getting banged around by large or super large rocks. I have found that the diver gets most of the abuse, rock escapes without harm..Bill

HA!!
Yeah, that occurred to me! Thanks for the tip. I would like to try swimming down current through some of the rapids, but it may basically be suicidal. I've seen plenty of folks using boogie boards and fins on the surface, but I'm not sure a diver could keep up enough positive velocity underwater to be able to maneuver through the rocks. A helmet would pretty much be mandatory, I think! Tim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom