Diving near Muskegon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cnctina

Reaction score
I have heard there are some good wrecks to dive on in the West Michigan area. What wrecks are there and how do I find them.

Great web site, thanks.
What weather patterns effect the visibility. Would a east wind blow out mucky surface water and draw in clear deep water? Would the warmer July and August water have more green algee tint to it? If a 1000ft Oglebay went by, would the water be all silted up.

cnctina:
I have heard there are some good wrecks to dive on in the West Michigan area. What wrecks are there and how do I find them.

cnctina,

This link will take you to the LDS in Muskegon.

http://www.westmichigandivecenter.com/mainframe.htm

If you go to the Loran/GPS link you will see a list of some of the wrecks, and artificial reefs that have been marked, along with their coordinates.

If you have any other questions let me know.

cnctina:
Thanks Jeff,
Have you dove any wrecks off the Muskegon to Holland area.

I have dove a few. The "State of Michigan", the "Henry Court", and the "Ironsides." The "Ironsides" is just a few miles southwest of Grand Haven. However, I did hear that a recent storm did a lot of damage to the "Ironsides" and now it's pretty much a pile of rubble. I've never gone further south of that, so I am not real familiar with what is in the Holland area.

If you go to the website http://www.michiganshipwrecks.org/research.htm, you will find lots of information on some of the wrecks in this area and a map of where they are located.

Hope some of this answers your questions.

I wouldn't call it a pile of rubble yet, but it's not like it used to be. :wink: The stern of the ship used to be intact and upright. It's now collapsed on itself. The engines and boilers are still standing tall and proud, although host to many zebra mussels. The ship sits in 121 feet of water with the top of the twin engines and boilers at about 100 feet. The water clarity is quite a bit better than the "old days" but dependent on currents, etc. Have fun and be safe!

Are the wrecks "State Of Michigan" and "Ironsides" marked with a bouey or do I use my GPS. I hear there's a barge 3 miles north of Muskegon in 30ft. Is this a good dive.
I also am told the Ironsides is for advanced divers, why?

Oldpirate:
I wouldn't call it a pile of rubble yet, but it's not like it used to be. :wink: The stern of the ship used to be intact and upright. It's now collapsed on itself. The engines and boilers are still standing tall and proud, although host to many zebra mussels. The ship sits in 121 feet of water with the top of the twin engines and boilers at about 100 feet. The water clarity is quite a bit better than the "old days" but dependent on currents, etc. Have fun and be safe!

Craig,

I didn't even notice that the link, I just provided in my last reply is a link to your website.

Just so you know, I really enjoy your website. You guys have a ton of great information available.

It's one of the very few places that you can read about the "Alpena." My great-grandfather, shared some history with that ship.

Thanks,

cnctina:
Are the wrecks "State Of Michigan" and "Ironsides" marked with a bouey or do I use my GPS. I hear there's a barge 3 miles north of Muskegon in 30ft. Is this a good dive.
I also am told the Ironsides is for advanced divers, why?

I would consider the "Ironsides" advanced because of the depth, as Craig mentioned in his post it lies in 100+ feet. Visibility is limited, and it's awfully cold!

The "State of Michigan" is marked with a bouy, but it's not uncommon for those to be missing after the winter.

I'm not sure about the barge, but I can check on that and get back to you.

Back
Top Bottom