diving whilst pregnant?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have read that until the baby implants into the lining of the uterus there isn't any danger, but after it starts recieving blood from the mother through the umbilical it isn't safe for the baby to dive.

I can't remember where i read this but i'll try to find the link.

This isn't any of my buisness, so if you don't want to tell don't. Have you found out if there is a medical reason you haven't got pregnant? I really can't see that diving would effect you in such a way to prevent pregnancy unless there was an underlying condition. Of course, like someone else said, there isn't alot know about this.

I hope your able to have your baby soon. And i don't think that you will do anything to hurt it whether you stop diving now or when you find out your pregnant.

Best wishes.

lostinspace:
aussie - it's taken me 5 years so far and I have only learnt to dive this year, so that's why I dont want to be told "dont dive if you're trying" because then I would never dive!
interesting that you had no problems whilst breast feeding - so far its 1 vote for, 1 vote against. DAN doesnt really mention this - their advice is more the timing post-birth of how you gave birth - eg natural=3 weeks; c-section=8 weeks.

Ron - please re-read my comments. And beyond that, I am going to take SJ's advice and not respond to you.

goodknight411:
I have read that until the baby implants into the lining of the uterus there isn't any danger, but after it starts recieving blood from the mother through the umbilical it isn't safe for the baby to dive.

I can't remember where i read this but i'll try to find the link.

This isn't any of my buisness, so if you don't want to tell don't. Have you found out if there is a medical reason you haven't got pregnant? I really can't see that diving would effect you in such a way to prevent pregnancy unless there was an underlying condition. Of course, like someone else said, there isn't alot know about this.

I hope your able to have your baby soon. And i don't think that you will do anything to hurt it whether you stop diving now or when you find out your pregnant.

Best wishes.

goodknight - what you are quoting is the two week period that DAN says it's ok to dive during - ie the time you dont know. yes, there are medical reasons, but that happened long before I even learnt to dive, so diving has not and cannot affect those issues. thanks for your wishes.

TekDiveGirl:
(-; Peace and truce!

I would say if you were having a hard time conceiving - that quitting diving might be a good thing to do. But I really don't know. Diving may change the chemistry within the body and make conceiving harder? That would be something to talk over with a physician.

Quite frankly - I would doubt if you were on a month long dive trip and ooops you got pregnant -- I doubt you caused great harm to the baby. Chances are you were drinking and partying too - and all of us do it. How many of our babies turn out to be damamged? The first couple of weeks our babies are in there we don't even know we are pregnant so we can't make an informed decision to make changes. After we know - we do!

Kimber

and actually, I gave up drinking a few years ago to try and improve my chances - didnt help....but never mind, at least I am healthier!

Hmmm...i read this thread with interest for a variety of reasons and I have to say I was surprised. Really the only place I have ever come across where some one suggested to not dive while trying to conceive. Can't say I understand the logic there...knowing your cycle and doing the ol' test-a-roonies would seem to ensure that you aren't 6 months pregnant and still diving! Have known many, many women who have dived regularly through the first four or five weeks of pregnancy (not knowing they were) and no known problems.

I'd say that stopping as early as you can once you know is probably the safe bet, but I doubt very much that diving reduces your chances of catching...maybe it will relax you and put you in such a euphoric mood that you'll just have to have some extra practice when you get back to shore :wink:

Interesting perspectives, all.

Good luck and have fun!

RonFrank:
......That fact that the largest certification agency in the world (and likely EVERY other) says don't do it I guess is not good enough? .....
Ron

And all the other agencies, too? When in doubt, choose the side of caution.

We have a complicated question -- Does diving while pregnant harm the fetus?
With numerous variables, ie -- How early/late in the pregnancy?
How frequently? How deep?
At any given moment, what does the latest non-definitive research study show?

Has our desire to protect a fetus gone unnecessarily far?
Look at our mothers, for example. How many of them drank martinis and smoked while pregnant and nursing? How many of us were harmed as a result?

How often -- all our lives, perhaps? -- are women told to take the cautious stance? Whenever there´s a doubt, whenever there´s the remotest possibility of a problem, play it safe. Hold back. Hide behind your skirts.

I AM NOT SAYING THAT IS WRONG IN THE CASE OF A PREGNANCY. I PROBABLY CAN´T THINK OF A BETTER TIME TO PLAY IT SAFE.

But doesn´t the message get old? Does it surprise anyone that there are more women divers/mountain climbers/car racers/etc. than there are?

For once I´d like to hear someone encourage women to walk along the edge, to take chances, to live life to the fullest. Maybe when we give birth to our daughters, that´s a message we can pass along to them.

DM

lostinspace:
seems to be an absolute no-no, but does anyone have any hard evidence, research etc?

Gidday elmesie here,

Why you cannot dive while you are pregant, is because ther has never been any lady that wants to experiment what would happen with their unborn child (stands for reason).
There has been study with sheep that were pregant & it was fine.

But I never would let me wife dive or any one I teach, while they were pregant

maybe we need to keep male divers out of the water during pregnancy too???

:wink:

Al Mialkovsky:
maybe we need to keep male divers out of the water during pregnancy too???

:wink:

That would be ok if you don't run a full time dive business

elmesie:
Gidday elmesie here,

Why you cannot dive while you are pregant, is because ther has never been any lady that wants to experiment what would happen with their unborn child (stands for reason).
There has been study with sheep that were pregant & it was fine.

But I never would let me wife dive or any one I teach, while they were pregant
elmesie - before you post - try reading all the other responses first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom