DIY Back Plate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Come to think of it, BP/Wings looks cool on women too.

Spoon:
if you think the ladies fall for the bp/wing wait til you show up with twin tanks or better yet a rebreather

Yeah right ... $10k for a Megladon. I think if I show up in this, I'll get the same effect and I won't have to get my toys wet.

Hmmm, $275ishk vs $10k .... what to do? :wink:

ski,

i read the thread... and many other similar ones...
i never heard of a bp/w until i joined SB... always thought the usual jacket/vest (still don't know the diff) BC was the thing for modern diving (i figured the octo was the new standard too compared to buddy breathing)

then i thought it was a tech thing, but spoon's had one from day 1, axua and paolov use one...

is it really all it's hyped up to be? why are we still using jackets in OW classes (aside from cost)? do any of you guys know where i can borrow/rent one to try out?

then there's the constant comment that it's "heavy"... a 5lb bp is 5lbs... how heavy is the wing? and it seems so much less bulky to pack compared to a regular bc...

i actually only saw a bp/w setup for-real (not in an LDS) during the DOR... kaso shy pa ako to get in spoon's face and check it out or pester him about it...

and so far bp prices are ranging from the 5k+ for halcyons to 3k KAGs and china hakcyoks... how much for the wing?

and what's the diff between a bp/w and a back-inflate like zeagles or the mares jubilee... also what's the diff between a transpac (w/c looks like a pre-manufactured harness set) and the web harness?

@axua: bro, would you reco i try out (1st time) a bp/w setup during the rescue course or use the usual BC i'm used to?

sorry ha... questions from the ignorant... and i'll ask here nalang than out there... don't wanna get into a bicker match with the others... di sila kasing nice ng pinoy hahahahaha

Jag

shugar,

Don't get me started on the whole issue (we'd need a whole new forum). BP/Wings have been around longer than jacket style BC. The reason why they're used in OW classes are varied (they're cheaper, easier to put on, etc.). The reason why I like them are:

1. better streamlining (nothing on front of you ... good for Jessic Alba :D ).
2. modularity ... if my bladder (wing) bursts, I simply get another. If I switch to doubles, I switch out and get a more lift wing (they come in 27, 30, 40, 100 lb lifts).
3. I can take off 5-6 lbs off my weight belt.
4. attaching pony or deco bottles (if I choose to do so) is easier. Less "danglies".

Do a search on SB on BP/Wing and you'll get a ton of discussions of them. Better yet, go into the Hogarthian thread.

Back inflates like the zeagle addresses some of the benefits (streamlining) but not the modularity. As for the difference between the transpac and a regular harness is about $100 dollars :D . Seriously, the most expensive part of a BP/Wing should be the wing (naturally cuz of the inflator and bladder are important). A harness and plate is simply a piece of steel and some webbing. The transpac is nice but a bid of an overkill.

BTW, poseidon is now getting into it ... mahal lang. Check out their site:

http://www.besea.poseidon.se

It's more expensive than a Halcyon. I really like the simplicity of the rig (as the say Hogarthian) see the Halcyon photo. Now, if you like pockets to store all your knick knacks (i.e., beer, balut, puto, .... ) jackets are better.

As for cost, that's why I started this thread. There a lot of Ebayers who sell their own. I thought making a bp in pinoy land should be cheaper. Sadly, wings (legit that is), can range from $230 up.

DiveGolfSki:
As for cost, that's why I started this thread. There a lot of Ebayers who sell their own. I thought making a bp in pinoy land should be cheaper. Sadly, wings (legit that is), can range from $230 up.

Hmmm....I've been thinking of switching over to the darkside, so I'm now going to look into this... :14:

The backplate was cheaper than I thought!

personal feel for BP/Wings

according to Paolov he says he uses BP/Wings for the following reasons;

1. it provides for freedom of clutter front side

2. with it he doesn't need to carry weight belt. he brings extra weights for those divers in his group that may need one (this is he assumes that they need one, which is often the case after a quick assessment, i believe they were taught this at the IDC) plus i think he has the power of the force just like Auxa, Paul and the other Masters here, they have padwans though they are the DMs. and then they got the "younglings" - the Rescue divers. however there are those like Chip- the dark force, the padwan of Spoon. but i think Spoon would be called from the dark side by auxua and be shown the power of the force .

3. it's great for rigging stuffs (this is when he goes work diving , masks, balloons, lift bags, ropes, nets, cables, reels, extra tanks and deco stages, fins etc. )

4. great back support either below and while just floating up

5. great TRIM

but that is what he thinks . Well DUH !!!

i can see all the stuffs divers want to see while drinking Beer, all i have to do is switch on the cable TV.....

for me, why the heck would i go through all that expense and effort when i can see all them watching Discovery Channel and Nat'l Geo. and more

Sheeshssss........ divers.... what a bunch of $#%^$@#$ a bunch of people running away from reality under the guise of sport. masochist.....

shugar:
ski,

i read the thread... and many other similar ones...
i never heard of a bp/w until i joined SB... always thought the usual jacket/vest (still don't know the diff) BC was the thing for modern diving (i figured the octo was the new standard too compared to buddy breathing)

then i thought it was a tech thing, but spoon's had one from day 1, axua and paolov use one...

is it really all it's hyped up to be? why are we still using jackets in OW classes (aside from cost)? do any of you guys know where i can borrow/rent one to try out?

then there's the constant comment that it's "heavy"... a 5lb bp is 5lbs... how heavy is the wing? and it seems so much less bulky to pack compared to a regular bc...

i actually only saw a bp/w setup for-real (not in an LDS) during the DOR... kaso shy pa ako to get in spoon's face and check it out or pester him about it...

and so far bp prices are ranging from the 5k+ for halcyons to 3k KAGs and china hakcyoks... how much for the wing?

and what's the diff between a bp/w and a back-inflate like zeagles or the mares jubilee... also what's the diff between a transpac (w/c looks like a pre-manufactured harness set) and the web harness?

@axua: bro, would you reco i try out (1st time) a bp/w setup during the rescue course or use the usual BC i'm used to?

sorry ha... questions from the ignorant... and i'll ask here nalang than out there... don't wanna get into a bicker match with the others... di sila kasing nice ng pinoy hahahahaha

Jag

Jag,
I can bring my rig for you on our excursion end of this month for you to try out, since I will be using my jacket for the class.

Back
Top Bottom