Do you have a minimum viz or temp for a dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm, Anything over 70 F will cause me to over heat in my 7mm wetsuit. So my max temperature would have to be about 70 F... :frosty:

Whoo Hoo!!!

:14: :slick: :sly:

Is the water wet and can I read my gauge if I stick it in my face?

The temp doesn't matter too much, since I want to do ice diving, but I do like at least 5' of vis. Anything less, makes it real hard to keep track of your buddy.

Your ability to dive comfortably in multiple enviroments will increase exponentially the more you dive. However if you only dive in waters that are warm with 50ft viz you will not be comfotable diving in more extreme enviroments no matter how many dives you log. I am a instructor in Victoria B.C. and here a good day is 10-20 ft viz and the water is very cold requiring a dry suit and excellent undergamrments most of the year. I have been on dives in the summer noths when the plankton is blooming that reduced viz to near 0. One dive in particular we kept going deeper to see if the viz would clear up and at 130ft it was still immpossibke to see your dive light more than 1 ft from your face. I enjoyed this dive because it was a challenge to navigate back to the exit point and it tetsted my abilitys as a diver. Some people would not have enjoyed this dive because it was dark and cold and uncomfortable. I would suggest getting experience in as many enviroments as you can because it can only make you a better diver. Plus we have some of the best diving in the world here in B.C. and you should check it out some time.

If the surf is over my head or the surge is twice the vis, I will call the dive. The former you can do before you get wet, the latter you have to get wet to find out.
Beach diving in SoCAl is something we do all the time. It is hit or miss so you need to be ready to thumb the dive before you get in the water if conditions are more than you are comfortable with. If I know the site, I will dive in conditions worse than I would dive an unknown site. If I paid for a trip, it would take a lot for me to call a dive though. :D

would really like to make the antarctica trip next year but funds are not sufficient. Will probably do ice specialty this winter though. Have dry suit will dive cold. vis is another matter. If I can see my compass in the beam of my Q40 strap light I'll dive. Low vis makes for good nav practice. Or if I can attach my reel to something(down line or anchor) that's good enough also. I'd also like to do some blackwater dives this winter.

It depends on what I'm doing. If I'm with students then I want some viz. For myself I've dove in water in the low 40's with viz in the 2 foot range. Rec depths only,

Comfort in the water in cold or limited viz comes with training, experience and the right equipment. In limited viz situations running the reel makes a huge difference. You can actually enjoy the dive knowing you can make your way back to the exit point. Having an HID light and good backups also help. A well fitting dry suit can take you into really cold water with a degree of comfort that is surprising. Lastly you need to have a solid buddy or team in these conditions. Having a team, the right training and equipment will let you dive safely in what will seem to be initially extreme conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom