Do you listen to the Voice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When it comes to the back of the neck tingle type of things I definitely listen to "the voice". It is in other situations were I tend to stifle the voice and let the inner child rule....sometimes it turns out good, others not so good and I think if only I had listened to the voice.

do it easy:
This is the voice that tells you not to dive.
Yes........when she tells me I can't dive I'm screwed! :(

Other than that if something doesn't feel right I don't dive.

I used to listen to the voice. But all it told me was to make pee pee in my wet suit.

catherine96821:
...When I drop into the ocean, I don't start looking at gauges, doing bubble checks, etc right away...I take a moment to take in the reef, and listen for what certain subtle signs might be telling me. The fish movements will tell you if a predator is in the area, if the current is switching, etc. Divers should not skip this step to attend to busy work of their tasks and training. Learning to keep part of your brain atuned is so valuable.

This is a very cool way to look at it. I sometimes do this but not as often as I should.

My Voice only tells me "Work can Wait.....go dive now!"

There's 2 feet of Snow on the ground and it's -18 out and I'm wondering if anyone has cut a large hole in the Ice yet at the Lake?

Also sometimes it tells me to take all my money, and go down to my LDS and leave it there.:D

catherine96821:
When I drop into the ocean, I don't start looking at gauges, doing bubble checks, etc right away...I take a moment to take in the reef, and listen for what certain subtle signs might be telling me. The fish movements will tell you if a predator is in the area, if the current is switching, etc. Divers should not skip this step to attend to busy work of their tasks and training. Learning to keep part of your brain atuned is so valuable.

When I learned to dive, my instructor had a cartoon (Far Side?) he used to illustrate a point. It was titled something along the lines of, "Nature's subtle warning signs of danger." In the first frame, a diver was feeding fish, they are all around him. In the second frame, he's still holding out the food, but he's all alone.

For all those looking to expand their comfort zones, this book, "Deep Survival" should be read. The "Voice" or your gut should always get listened too. I, like many others wouldn't be here today without the edge of something difficult to descibe, but has important has any other piece of gear. Divers, more so older ones, develope sixth senses, use it and enjoy!

Hoa!

I have ignored "the voice" and luckily lived to regret it. In my circle of dive buddies, we have a rule that anyone can call a dive, at any time, for any reason. We've called more than one dive because "something just doesn't feel right", and we've all lived to dive another day.
C-Dawg

Back
Top Bottom