do you log "solo" dives in your log book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
solo divers don't log.

basically.

Now...maybe nemrod and captain do....

My log(?) is just a note book that I keep all manner of diving and boating info in.
It is my book of numbers (GPS,LORAN) for dive sites and other navigational issues. It is a list of part numbers for any parts related to diving or boating. I may or may not list a particular dive. At most it is just date and location, depth and anything unusual.
If I make several dives on the same site on the same day I usually list it as one dive. Because of this the number of dive I have recorded is not indicative of the total number of indivudal dives I have made.

Aside from the obvious non-dives, like when the computer thought I did 4 dives while I was hanging out on the surface during a SI, I print everything and put it in my log book.

I probably haven't had a buddy signature in the last 100 dives, and figure that since I've got the complete dive profile graph including depth, temp., SAC, mix, location and all the other stuff, it's a more reliable indication that I did a dive, than some illegible signature on a piece of paper.

Terry

stunaep:
my computer keeps track of everything, but since there isn't anyone to sign my book, and having it on the computer only proves that it went down, what do you do?

--c

khblair:
What happened to diving with a buddy?

It is the most common type of diving (although often not very well), but it has nothing to do with the topic of this thread. I have even more buddy dives logged than solo.

Your log book is your log book, maintain it any way you want... or not at all.

I log all my dives and IF I happen to be sitting at a picnic table with my buddy as we are both logging then I'll go ahead and swap sigs, but usually I'll log later on in a cleaner and drier environment. If I go DM/instructor then I'll likely log/sign more often to set an example for newer divers.

Log book?? Whuzzat???

stunaep:
my computer keeps track of everything, but since there isn't anyone to sign my book, and having it on the computer only proves that it went down, what do you do?

--c
Certainly. The log book is for you. I don't think any one has "signed" my log book since OW certification.

I am telling on you .... Its illegal to do a solo dive. also if you are just ow cert you cant go over 60ft. illegal again. You have to log a dive every 6 months or you guessed it you again are illegal. if you drop below 500 psi on your asent you have to log it. Also if you blow a safety stop you cant dive again for a month and you must stand in the corner of the dive boat for punishment. LOL

I only have my logbook signed when required or requested during training or checout dives.

I am also a pilot and that is the same basic approach used in aviation where you are signed off at key points by an instructor and where checkrides are signed off in your log by the examiner. Otherwise the log is used and completed only by the pilot for documentation of hours for total time, pilot in command, demonstration of currency, time in aircraft type and time under various flight conditions.

Scuba diving is a lot less critical in my pinion and if a DM thinks I've faked the last 20 plus years of dives it's his problem. Realisitically with about 2000 dives total and around a 1000 of those actually logged, all that will be in my logbook are the last 100 or so anyway. But since I have not taken any training in the last year and have averaged well over a 100 dives per year for the last several years, none of the dives in my log will have a signature on them.

I also use my own custom log book pages where I have a checkbox for "solo dive" as well as for "deco dive", both of which the DM is free to frown about if he/she wants.

Gary D.:
Would you log a 13' dive for 3 minutes?
if it is something significant like a recovery, I log it even if it's short and shallow. There is no sense staying longer or dragging whatever or whoever it is deeper just so it "counts" under some arbitrary criteria.

I log it all. If it's a pool dive I enter it but don't increment the counts. It's still good to record skils learned/practiced, gear used and who you were working with.

When I got into skin-diving I logged 91 dives in 2004 (counted independent from scuba dives) and even where we went, what the temps were, what we saw are helpful in dive planning.

Now in my second year of scuba diving I find myself going back to this time last year in my log to look at wetsuit/weight notes and stuff like that.

I do mine in Excel and don't bother with signatures. I do track buddies and keep a contacts list should enyone ever feel compelled to validate my log. I have no professional or technical dive aspirations so I don't see that as likely.

I use my computer to get stats and to view charts but a pure computer dump dive log has no soul to me. After every dive day I enter my notes in Excel. I usually batch the computer data once or twice a week.

If/when I make solo dives I would log them as such. just as I do skin-dives.

More than anything else your log is a personal keepsake so do what you want.

Pete

khblair:
What happened to diving with a buddy?

I dive with a buddy sometimes, sometimes he's busy, sometimes we go different ways to see something else, we know our routine so all is ok. I use a pony sometimes if I think I want it. I'd like to have a buddy all the time I guess it's just not always practical. I think it's safer to have one. I got weened off having one in the Cooper River, sc where the only way you keep one is if youre tethered together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom